Water ... Luke Warm or Iced Cold?

Options
Ok, this topic may seem out of wack, but I have honestly been told...

"Drink lukewarm water to lose weight" ... and "Drink Iced cold water to lose weight".

My question...

Has anyone had an results with this, if so with which one?

I believe it's the amount, not the temp. BUT I may be wrong. So I'd love to read your input.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• GodzGirl
    GodzGirl Posts: 86
    Options
    Ok, this topic may seem out of wack, but I have honestly been told...

"Drink lukewarm water to lose weight" ... and "Drink Iced cold water to lose weight".

My question...

Has anyone had an results with this, if so with which one?

I believe it's the amount, not the temp. BUT I may be wrong. So I'd love to read your input.

Thanks for reading!
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that you burn calories with the ice cold water because your body has to warm it up.
    However, I've also always heard that it's easier to drink room temperature water, and that you tend to drink more water when it isn't so cold.
    So, I do both! I love my ice water with my meals, but my glass of water on my desk tends to warm up to room temp before I get it emptied.

Having said all that, I agree that it's the amount of water, not the temp. :happy:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I drink my water hot, in the form of decaf tea. I drink alot more of it this way than I do with cold, when I first switched from cold water to hot tea, I lost 3lbs in 3 days, not sure if it had anything to do with the tea or not, but that's what happened! lol
  • robynlee
    robynlee Posts: 13
    Options
    It's the amount.
    Try to drink at least 3L of a day. It may seem like a lot but once you get into the habit of it you'll always remember to drink water (at any temperature!!) oh, and you might feel bloated at first but it goes away once your body is used to it
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    I'd say "Drink water to lose weight", forget about the temperature, lol
    I've heard that drinking ice cold water makes you burn extra calories to warm it. The thing is you can't drink much that way, you may have sore throat after that and probably your stomach would rather have it a bit warmer.
    I drink iced cold water for pleasure, it tastes better, hehe, but I drink most of my water at room temperature. I also drink lots of hot tea or herbs.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'd say "Drink water to lose weight", forget about the temperature, lol
    I've heard that drinking ice cold water makes you burn extra calories to warm it. The thing is you can't drink much that way, you may have sore throat after that and probably your stomach would rather have it a bit warmer.
    I drink iced cold water for pleasure, it tastes better, hehe, but I drink most of my water at room temperature. I also drink lots of hot tea or herbs.
    I totally agree.. as long as your drinking water.. who cares if its hot or cold.. I prefer ICE COLD but i also will drink room temp.... JUST KEEP DRINKING
  • lmg95
    lmg95 Posts: 4
    Options
    i'll throw some chemistry at everyone for some "facts"

the specific heat of water is 1cal per gram per C or 1cal/g*C (but this is a small calorie which is 1/1000 of a food Calorie which is technically called a kilo calorie). This means that it takes 1 calorie of energy to increase the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.

a simple case would be an 8 oz glass of water (~224 grams) consumed at 10C would require a temperature change of ~90C to reach body temperature

so if we take (1cal/g*C) * (224g) * (90C) we would get ~ 20,000 calories of energy required or 20 food Calories.

if you drink your 8 glasses a day you could burn off 160 Calories... so it could make a difference in the long run possibly...
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I can't stand ice water! I can only drink it room temperature. Not sure why. I get agitated when waiters refill my water glass by dumping in tons of ice from the pitcher and then a little bit of water. Okay, not exactly agitated.. I just sort of sigh inwardly.

I might be weird tho, because I also only like soda that has gone flat.
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    I can't stand ice water! I can only drink it room temperature. Not sure why. I get agitated when waiters refill my water glass by dumping in tons of ice from the pitcher and then a little bit of water. Okay, not exactly agitated.. I just sort of sigh inwardly.

I might be weird tho, because I also only like soda that has gone flat.

Yep deffinately wierd lol j/k hun :laugh:

I can't drink water unless it's Ice Cold or in a coffee lol
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that you burn calories with the ice cold water because your body has to warm it up.
    However, I've also always heard that it's easier to drink room temperature water, and that you tend to drink more water when it isn't so cold.
    So, I do both! I love my ice water with my meals, but my glass of water on my desk tends to warm up to room temp before I get it emptied.

Having said all that, I agree that it's the amount of water, not the temp. :happy:
    I have heard this as well, but with the ice cold thing it drops your core temp and your body has to work to warm it up I dont know how true this is but I hear 11 cups of bitter cold h2o will aid in wt loss. I personally CAN NOT drink warm water its wierd tasting but if I have to I will
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Drink warm water or tea with meals to aid in digestion and lower the risk of cancer.

Drink ice cold water between meals because unlike warm water, it will simply dilute gastric juices and make it harder for you to digest properly.

Ice water will cause you to lose weight, because your body has to warm it up - in fact, a calorie (little c, not the ones we measure food with, Calorie - or kilocalorie) is the measure of the amount of energy needed to heat one gram of water by one degree celsius. So yes, by bringing it up to body temperature you burn calories.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Okay, not exactly agitated.. I just sort of sigh inwardly.

This cracked me up! :laugh:

I prefer cold water, but I don't think it matters too much. I certainly don't have the patience to try an experiment both ways! :tongue:
  • SkinnyAries
    SkinnyAries Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    great answer! I've heard both arguments (warm vs cold water burning more calories), and i like to take the ice cold water's side because of the chemistry facts (also, i love ice cold water!)

Still, i think as long as a person is drinking all the water that they need, that that is really great and should be commended! (as a lot of people really forget to drink enough water throughout the day)
    i'll throw some chemistry at everyone for some "facts"

the specific heat of water is 1cal per gram per C or 1cal/g*C (but this is a small calorie which is 1/1000 of a food Calorie which is technically called a kilo calorie). This means that it takes 1 calorie of energy to increase the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.

a simple case would be an 8 oz glass of water (~224 grams) consumed at 10C would require a temperature change of ~90C to reach body temperature

so if we take (1cal/g*C) * (224g) * (90C) we would get ~ 20,000 calories of energy required or 20 food Calories.

if you drink your 8 glasses a day you could burn off 160 Calories... so it could make a difference in the long run possibly...
  • GodzGirl
    GodzGirl Posts: 86
    Options
    Thank You for replying, I appreciate everyone's input.

Does drinking "teas and herbs" replace "normal water"? I can't recall who mentioned that, sry.