Running and all that goes with that

vicidoesstuff
vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Guys, I wonder if anyone would like to give me a few pointers?

I'd quite like to start running... or at least jogging.
I've done 30 Day Shred a trillion times and I think it's about time I got some fresh air exercise that can be done ANYWHERE with a good pair of trainers.

I could really do with some advice on:
-how to start (distances, expentance for the first few runs etc)
-shoes (I have a budget of about £30 MAXIMUM for them but would prefer to spend as little as possible... and I'm in the UK... I'm in Birmingham)
-other clothing (what do you guys wear when you run? trackies tend to slip down on me. please help.)

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas. I intend to make 2011 a continuation of 2010. I started losing weight properly at the beginning of 2010 and havent really given up even once. :)

Replies

• Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    c25k is a great way to start,

www.c25k.com

as far as soes go there is a website that sells decent shoes around your price range i'll have to add it later

good luck
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    I can't really help with the shoes because I just tried several different pairs till I found a pair comfortable for me. But with distance, I can try to help. I am not a very good runner, but I run almost every day now. I will say that if you don't run at all now, you should start slow. What I did was a jog/walk. On a treadmill, I jogged for .25 of a mile, then walked for .25 of a mile for about 2 miles. I did that for a couple of months slowly building up stamina. Now I walk for .25 of a mile, then jog for 2 miles straight, then walk/jog til I get up to about 5 miles or so. It took me a while to build up my stamina. Good luck!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Okay, I don't know EVERYTHING about running, but I know enough for now. Here's what I've learned:

1. Get good shoes. Don't let just anyone size you for shoes. Make sure they check for size, stride, etc so you get the right shoes
    2. Do not continue if you have an injury to your feet, legs, etc. Take a break Strain from running is enough on your body without adding to an injury
    3. The most important thing an avid runner needs to remember is learning the right breathing and the pace that goes with that breathing. I also am starting to prefer distance over time for now, as I am training for a race that's in March
    4. Just because you are running and it's vigorous, does not mean eating anything. It still has to be a balanced diet. Lots of runners make this mistake, believe it or not.
    5. Strength training is a must, so you can keep your muscle mass up. Running alone will weaken your muscles and can also lead to higher chance of tendon injury. It can be anything, from using dumb bells to using resistence bands.
    6. Find a consistent source for better running information, and since you plan on running outside, try to find places with good running gear. You can even find some good stuff 2nd hand. I found a nice wind resistant jacket that would run for $80 for $20 in the 2nd hand store last week. I hope this helped some. If I think of anything else, I'll holler at ya.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    DON'T SKIMP OUT ON A GOOD PAIR OF RUNNERS!!!! If you can't afford to get a good pair of running shoes, don't start running otherwise you're setting yourself up for future injuries. I good dedicated running store should be able to do a quick gait analysis on their in-store treadmill & video cam and will recommend the right pair of shoes.

Don't forget to stretch after a run.

HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE.

Don't build too fast. The Couch to 5k program is a good way to start. After that, don't increase your weekly distance more than 10% at a time. This is your joint, tendons, muscle a chance to adjust, again this is to avoid future injuries.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Found it

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/

go to a propper running store with a treadmill try a few pairs then purchase online, my wife ot a decent £80 pair of asics fo about £30 - £35
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    DON'T SKIMP OUT ON A GOOD PAIR OF RUNNERS!!!! If you can't afford to get a good pair of running shoes, don't start running otherwise you're setting yourself up for future injuries. I good dedicated running store should be able to do a quick gait analysis on their in-store treadmill & video cam and will recommend the right pair of shoes.

Don't forget to stretch after a run.

HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE.

Don't build too fast. The Couch to 5k program is a good way to start. After that, don't increase your weekly distance more than 10% at a time. This is your joint, tendons, muscle a chance to adjust, again this is to avoid future injuries.

^ this. Running is very high impact and you don't want to go into it until you have the right gear. You NEED good shoes or you're asking for foot injuries and joint aches in a serious way.
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Awesome, thanks so much so far!

So does anyone know of a good shop in Birmingham? Or just a general UK chain?
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Running is Great

1. Running shoes from an actual running store are just essential. You cannot just buy them online, you need to be fit, they need to watch you run, check your stride and fit etc
    2. Interval training is the way to go... you can use a program like couch to 5k (just google it) or you can use a common sense running program like run 1 min, walk 3 minutes... and then slowly increase the run and decrease the walk time. There are interval timers or programs on the phone that can help you with this.
    3. Start with short distances to get your "Sea legs" if you know what I mean. Do not increase your mileage more than 10% per week (and ideally no more than 10% every 2 weeks).

4. Message me if you have any further questions -- I love to mentor new runners!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Like everyone else said, spend the $ in a good running store to get good shoes. I bought my first pair for big bucks in the running store, but bought another identical pair online for much less. Not crazy about the color, but for $40 bucks less, not a big deal.
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    The best piece of advice I got that has not already been mentioned: Go slower than you think you should and longer than you think you can (within your goals). Slow is good for early on to prevent injury while your body adjusts to running.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    The best piece of advice I got that has not already been mentioned: Go slower than you think you should and longer than you think you can (within your goals). Slow is good for early on to prevent injury while your body adjusts to running.

I agree. Especially if you are training for an event. I had to start out my 5K time at 41 minutes in order to go that far. Almost 3 months later, and I have shaved 8 minutes off that time.
This discussion has been closed.