Clothing alterations

Options
Hi there!

I have a pair of jeans that I'm absolutely in love with! I got them as a gift, and I've never seen a wash or cut that I like nearly as much, but they're a 30 inch waist, and I wear a 28. I don't want to get them altered until I'm done losing, and I don't think I'll lose too much more off my hips, but I'm hoping to take at least a few more inches off the circumference of my thighs. They're a fairly slim/skinny jean style.

Can a seamstress alter the entire pant? I know you can have a few inches taken off the waist, but I really want to preserve the fit of the jean. Does anybody know if they can take in the whole leg, and roughly how much this can cost?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    A GOOD seamstress can take it off the outside & inside to make it fit right...all the way down! But shortening is much tricker, if there is any flare to the pant legs it could be lost if you cut too much off the bottom.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Okay awesome! Thanks eillamarie, that's actually just what I was hoping to hear =)

The length is already perfect, and they're fairly straight. Yay!
  • wocm15
    wocm15 Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi, I'm a fashion design student, so I just had to give my 2 cents... :wink:
    Jeans can be difficult to alter, mostly because of the finish. If your seams don't have the topstitching (which they usually do on the inseam) or if they have sandblasting, etc., sewing a new seam can make them look kind of weird. I just altered a pair of my jeans today (Was size 13, now size 11-ish) and I was able to take in the outside side seams and put darts in the back waist only because there wasn't any kind of finish on them. Hope you're able to alter them!