Apple Watch

Options

Replies

• glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    The NFC wll be nice if you live in the Wellington region of NZ, because all the bus services here have machines that you can pay using it - I have a card with the chip embedded in it - but people with Android phones have the chip in their phone so have just used the app to scan their phone when boarding buses here. There are a few shops here that have the same machines as the buses as well so you can use your bus money to pay for a coffee. I know this is going to take off here now big time because so many people have iPhones. This city is big on iPhones.

but because of this more people will be able to pay for more things using android phones than ever before... which means its a win for android even though apple are pushing it as they seem to have more clout with businesses for some reason........
  • glenmchale
    Options
    ...I have a flip phone...

Thank goodness! I'm not the only one! :embarassed:

a8232f546b58c8867d0b7440e7c6139da343c31abdab69aac90c381e0f1a4232.jpg

lol
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

lol

:noway: I will not stand for this phone shaming!!! :mad:
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward already!!! I hope it will work as good as it looks.
  • glenmchale
    Options

lol

it is kind of like saying you prefer typewriters to a PC though... but what works for you is what works for you and that is cool just does seem a bit funny these days....
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's really quite simple ...

For the watch...
    If you own Apple stock, you want people to buy it like mad.
    If you own Apple iStuff, especially if you have multiple products, then you should get this Watch
    If you have ever ever ever waited in line to buy an Apple product, then you should preorder
    If you are a Samsung user, you've already had this technology for a few years now and are many versions along, but may want to wait until the next iteration.
    If you are a Garmin, Suunto, or Tom Tom, etc., watch owner, take comfort in knowing that your watch supports GPS and is purpose built rather then some overly expensive gadget

For the Apple Pay....
    NFC? Really? Finally? It took this long? Holy cow, yet another thing that's been available for years.
    Maybe Apple device users should just keep an android device in their pocket for the technical stuff, and use the apple day to day for the fashion sense?

ok. I admit.. I'm biased. I'm a Samsung user. I just like being on the cutting edge without paying an arm and a leg. I like my stuff to work. And I like my screen not to be broken. 9 out of 10 iPhone users agree, broken screens suck.

But seriously, if money is no object, and you're in the Apple ecosystem heavily already, then it'd be logical to spring for the Watch when its available. Just realize it has limitations
  • glenmchale
    Options
    It's really quite simple ...

For the watch...
    If you own Apple stock, you want people to buy it like mad.
    If you own Apple iStuff, especially if you have multiple products, then you should get this Watch
    If you have ever ever ever waited in line to buy an Apple product, then you should preorder
    If you are a Samsung user, you've already had this technology for a few years now and are many versions along, but may want to wait until the next iteration.
    If you are a Garmin, Suunto, or Tom Tom, etc., watch owner, take comfort in knowing that your watch supports GPS and is purpose built rather then some overly expensive gadget

For the Apple Pay....
    NFC? Really? Finally? It took this long? Holy cow, yet another thing that's been available for years.
    Maybe Apple device users should just keep an android device in their pocket for the technical stuff, and use the apple day to day for the fashion sense?

ok. I admit.. I'm biased. I'm a Samsung user. I just like being on the cutting edge without paying an arm and a leg. I like my stuff to work. And I like my screen not to be broken. 9 out of 10 iPhone users agree, broken screens suck.

But seriously, if money is no object, and you're in the Apple ecosystem heavily already, then it'd be logical to spring for the Watch when its available. Just realize it has limitations

totally this ^^^^^
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have a Samsung Gear 2 neo smartwatch - it's interesting (HRM + pedometer) but I still wear my Fitbit. There are 2 apps that sync to my phone that are on the watch (Endomondo & Runtastic). They are buggy, sometimes don't work. The cell app does, but sometimes it refuses to talk to the watch (without a reboot). Blarg :( Fitbit = 1, smartwatch app = 0

NFC my phone supports & I leave it off until I need it - would worry too much if it was on all the time on my watch.

As much as I wish I waited for the Android Wear version of my watch (mine has Tinzen) I like that I can change the band to ANYTHING i want (that will fit) and was roughly HALF the cost of the iWatch is supposed to be.

I like the LG & Moto watches, but sorry iWatch. Another "i" product that I can't use (nor would I want to - I don't have a iPhone so I would have nothing to sync it with). But there will people who will buy it to match their iPhone 6/Plus... just like me with my Samsung's (lol - yes I laugh at myself)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

lol

it is kind of like saying you prefer typewriters to a PC though... but what works for you is what works for you and that is cool just does seem a bit funny these days....

Oh, LOL, I'm not mad. And for the record, I don't PREFER my old "typewriter" - it's just what I'm stuck with right now. :bigsmile:
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    But is it on the market already? Before I bought my fitbit last week, I did lots of research and I couldn't find any device that tracks steps, sleep etc AND monitors heart rate. All the forums on here seem to say this also, which is why many people have two devices. Maybe I'm missing something....

@AglaeaC - well, yeah!

Galaxy Gear Fit does all these things.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/wearables/gear/SM-R3500ZKABTU

All reviews I read were that the Galaxy Gear stuff just didn't deliver much. Although I'm not sure if I read about one that had a HR monitor & movement tracker. Overall the opinion I got for reviews and a few folks I spoke to that had them was "meh".
    So if Apple can deliver one that actually delivers a good and meaningful experience, then they'll deserve the praise. Otherwise, they'll deliver a different"meh" product.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    First off, let me preface this by saying I was never the biggest fan of Apple. While I naturally appreciate the innovations they have helped to spur, I always thought they were way overpriced considering what "slave drivers" they had been. They were legendary for that.

I have been an Android devotee since it was first announced. Started developing apps on them before the first devices came out using the API and plugins for some IDE's.

I suspect this will be a revolutionary device, and unless the initial reviews are that they simply failed, or it doesn't work right, that sort of thing, I am pretty sure I will get one. This means I will need to get an iPhone too, of course, but I'm due for a phone upgrade anyway.

This thing will do what every other health monitor does. plus a whole lot more. Apple is making some big inroads into a lot of interesting territory with their new HealthKit and HomeKit API's. This watch will, in my opinion, bridge taht gap to bring technology to the person, and detach them from having to carry something around with them, like a phone, laptop, whatever for a lot of daily conveniences.

I think it is their game to lose. The only way I see this not being revolutionary is if they blew it and the product is a dud.
  • glenmchale
    Options
    i think this highlights my biggest issue with the whole iCult business

tdTOVP8.jpg
  • arijaycomet
    Options
    I've just posted on my blog about the Apple Watch as compared to other fitness/activity trackers on the market, check it out here:
    http://arijaycomet.com/2014/09/09/preview-apple-watch-versus-fitbit-flex-versus-jawbone-up-versus-misfit-shine-versus-garmin-vivofit-versus-striiv-touch-versus-withings-pulse-versus-lg-lifeband-touch-versus-polar-loop/

Bottom line for the TL;DR crowd:
    The Apple Watch is going to be a GREAT smart watch device, but it isn't meant to compete with the sub-$149 devices like the Misfit, the Fitbit, the Jawbone, etc. This will instead compete against the likes of the LG, Samsung, and Moto 360 type devices. Still, it should prove to be an AWESOME option for those who can afford $350+ for a device like this.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My take is this:

1. Generally wrist based (non-chest strap) HRMs are notorious in their lack of accuracy.
    2. If I am not mistaken, the Apple watch must be tethered to your iphone for GPS tracking and such.

So, if I have to have my phone with me anyway, and my phone does everything and more than the watch, and the watch is likely to suck as a proper HRM, I am not gaining anything by getting the watch.

Conclusion, taking a proper HRM and my phone on my runs is cheaper, more accurate, and just as convenient as having to carry my phone and wear a watch.

Pass.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Seems pretty useless to me. It has to be paired with an iphone to be useful at all. If you are running/working out with your iphone strapped to you then the iphone can track everything for you. How is the watch helping?

A watch would be helpful if it wasn't dependent on being linked to a phone. And there are such things; Garmin sells the more popular ones. Much better choice for fitness tracking than this apple watch.

If you are looking for an expensive gadget that is a pretty unattractive watch that has to be linked to a phone to be useful, then go for the apple watch. If you want to track fitness with a small device that doesnt require a phone, is waterproof, look at the garmin gps/fitness watches.
  • JoMFrasca
    JoMFrasca Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Now that the Apple Watch has been officially unveiled and orders will start next month, I would like to know whether MFP plans to integrate the Apple watch data with MFP. My Fitbit Charge HR currently syncs and integrates with MFP. I would like to be able to do the same with the Apple watch data such as the active calorie estimate derived from the hear rate monitor but there appears to be no information available as to whether and how this might be possible.

As it stands now the Healthkit IOS App is not an option since it only syncs dietary calories and does not sync active calories. You would think MFP would be interested in this as many many people will be buying the Apple Watch and I suspect many of them also use MFP. The utter lack of information on this is disappointing.

Does anyone have any insight on this?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'll take the $17,000.00 version. thanks.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't really see the point of a smart watch right now, but especially for using the Apple Watch as a fitness device; you have to run with it and your phone for the GPS to work properly (and iPhones are not great at accurate GPS-ing anyway...) so that's a huge no-no for me. I bought my Garmin specifically to AVOID running with my phone day-to-day because it was too cumbersome to take on runs (though I take it on long runs for safety reasons).

Edit: If Apple wants me to buy more of their stuff, they should make an iPhone "mini." I want a phone I stick in my running short's pocket, and all the models past the iPhone 4 definitely won't fit. I don't need to have a tablet-phone, thanks.
  • athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for actual user reviews for the heart rate feature. Reviews of other HR monitors worn at the wrist, no chest strap, have not been stellar. Otherwise, the high end models are beautiful.
  • jflaur71
    jflaur71 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Polar has some good options out for Watches/Activity Trackers at several price points depending on what level you need. I got a Polar v800 for Xmas.....Tracks: Activity, Training(Sport Specific), Sleep, Swimming, Cycling....connects with strap HRM and other sensors as well. Polar's App now syncs with MFP!!!!

I believe they are working on connectivity for phone calls/ text messages displayed on watch....if thats important to you