Miserable about pregnancy weight gain...any advice?

Options
13»

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It's annoying when people don't read what you write, especially when you've said it three times!

I have lost weight before, as I said, so I do know what I'm doing, bit I just wanted to vent a bit and get some reassurance and maybe some tips to help weight loss that don't involve 'do you use a food scale?'

I'm sure you meant well, but you have to understand why your post got my back up!
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I tend to find that some (I said Some) posters on her are rude but claim they are being helpful.

You are going great you look great focus on your new baby and enjoy, the weight will come off as you have done it before.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    I tend to find that some (I said Some) posters on her are rude but claim they are being helpful.

You are going great you look great focus on your new baby and enjoy, the weight will come off as you have done it before.

Exactly! I've had some lovely, understanding and helpful posts so I shall focus on those. I've noticed with other weight loss threads there are some people who disregard what the poster has said and always come out with 'you eat too much, use a food scale'.
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    When I was having babies I was a tall thin girl. When I'm pregnant my body says it's time to put on plenty of weight. On my *kitten*. I figured it was a good counterbalance to the beach ball on my front.

With my third I went from 130 lbs to 215. And all I craved was spinach and fish, I swear to God. I ate reasonably but every calorie my body could hang on to, it held on to. Hormones are weird. Took me a year to lose 70 of that.

Then hormone trouble began again without being pregnant. I gained. I went on a diet. I lost. Hence the ticker.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    The weird thing is I looked ok when I was pregnant. I had a big bump at the end.....11 days over, 9lbs1 baby...so I'm not sure where the weight came from! Even after I was ok, then I seemed to gain a bit. I think my body must go a bit crazy after!

This is at 37+2

image.jpg
    upload image online free
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've only had two children so if what ppl say about a third being harder to lose weight from I may need to keep that in mind, it's hard enough already! I don't have any advice or words of wisdom I just want to say that you def do not look your weight. You don't look heavy at all to me. Be patient with yourself, it will come back off. I've lost 12lbs now and I'm still heavier than I was when I gave birth to my 2.5 year old. Hormones can have a huge effect on weight after giving birth. If it doesn't start coming off soon and really concerns you maybe see your OB or PCP to check some levels on hormones, thyroid, etc just to be sure nothing has been drastically altered from pregnancy/birth. Hang in there momma you look good!
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Exactly! I've had some lovely, understanding and helpful posts so I shall focus on those. I've noticed with other weight loss threads there are some people who disregard what the poster has said and always come out with 'you eat too much, use a food scale'.

I think once people have lost weight in their head that is the only way to lose weight, (all people are different and we all lose weight differently and also put it on differently. I have major issues getting the weight off my housemate can't put it on) the thing is it is worth listening to people's advice (if they have lost weight) but we need to tweak it to our own needs and we need to read what the person has said and not bang on about they way to do it if it doesn't answer the original question.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    I've made an appointment with my GP for Tues morning. We don't see an obgyn in England, just a community midwife while pregnant. I don't think I have a problem, I think I'm just unlucky and gain a lot in pregnancy and am slow to lose. If you look at celebrities even, some of them gain, like Jessica Simpson. She was huge and now looks amazing. Ok, so I don't have her money to afford a personal trainer every day and a chef, but she proves it can be done! I've done it twice before myself and am always slow to lose at first.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Lol Ruth I did consider free weights in my pockets for the biggest loser initial weigh in :laugh:

I was 11 stone in my pre pregnancy photo! I think I look smaller. Maybe I have a really heavy brain!!
    [/quote]

THAT's the answer Dawn!! its your heavy brain!! :-D
    I like how you think :)
  • wordyroo
    wordyroo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask to get your thyroid levels checked. There is such a thing as postpartum thyroiditis. It's nearly identical to autoimmune thyroiditis and can affect 5-10% of women in the first year postpartum. Your levels can swing from really hyper to very hypo within about six months.

On another note, are you sure the scale wasn't broken??
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Definitely ask to get your thyroid levels checked. There is such a thing as postpartum thyroiditis. It's nearly identical to autoimmune thyroiditis and can affect 5-10% of women in the first year postpartum. Your levels can swing from really hyper to very hypo within about six months.

Yes, this for sure. Thyroid levels can get very off track during pregnancy and shortly after.

Also, don't beat yourself up. Just log everything and get back on track. You can do it. For what it's worth, I think you look great.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    I just googled it. Maybe I do have it. It says it usually resolves itself after a few weeks. My weight loss was very slow initially with my other two, but I did lose eventually.

After my 2nd I was at the gym 5 times a week, 2 of those PT sessions, from when she was 7 weeks old. I also only ate 1200 calories. After the first month of doing this I lost 2lbs. I didn't really exercise in that pregnancy either, so you'd have thought the exercise would've had a bigger impact. But then I went on to lose 66lbs.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I just want to say you look great....You do not look 202lbs at all.

Keep on keeping on.

Losing weight after my second was way harder than the first. I'm ttc right now with #3. I am going to be SUPER strict after I have #3. Like boring meal prep and all that...until I get my body where I want it.

You are doing fine though. Keep moving forward.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

Keep on keeping on.

Losing weight after my second was way harder than the first. I'm ttc right now with #3. I am going to be SUPER strict after I have #3. Like boring meal prep and all that...until I get my body where I want it.

Good luck with TTC. How old are your other two? My others are five and three now.

I've been super strict, pretty much. I was having a 'treat day' once a week and just having some homemade cake, but I might have to cut that out.

I've just started a biggest loser competition at my gym which lasts for 8 weeks. I'm super motivated to win £500!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

Keep on keeping on.

Good luck with TTC. How old are your other two? My others are five and three now.

I've been super strict, pretty much. I was having a 'treat day' once a week and just having some homemade cake, but I might have to cut that out.

I've just started a biggest loser competition at my gym which lasts for 8 weeks. I'm super motivated to win £500!

My sons just turned 4 and 1. I'm ready to get this third and last one done! haha

I did a biggest loser competition two years ago when I only had like 5 lbs to lose....there were larger men in it. I didn't win - because I only lost like 3 lbs.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

Keep on keeping on.

My sons just turned 4 and 1. I'm ready to get this third and last one done! haha

I did a biggest loser competition two years ago when I only had like 5 lbs to lose....there were larger men in it. I didn't win - because I only lost like 3 lbs.

Well, unfortunately I need to lose more than 5lbs so I guess I'm in with a chance! Unless I do have a thyroid problem that is, then I'm screwed.

So you have a bigger gap between your first two. I've got 22 months between my son and eldest daughter, then nearly 5 years and 3 years between them and my baby girl. Both my daughters have May birthdays.