Weight Management in College

Options
I lost about 60lbs last year during my freshman year of college. I ate very healthy and want to continue to do so. I'm happy with the way I look and most everyone is agreeing (now that they are used to the difference between myself last year and this year). I want to maintain but sometimes I get really scared and anxious for extra unintended weight loss. I don't want to be so worried about Laing extra weight so hopefully someone could tell me what I could do to make sure I don't lose weight? I stopped losing weight when I came home and didn't count or watch anything, just are intuitively. I am trying the same habits here but for some reason just get fearful that I am not eating enough (probably because I was having trouble stopping the weight loss at the end of last year). I am 19 male and 140lbs. I lift weights everyday no cardio at all. Here is what I had yesterday to eat so you get a rough idea of how I've been eating:

Breakfast:
About a cup of Greek yogurt
About 1/2-1 cup of Special K
Banana

Sometimes I'll hve a bagel with eggs or a little PB or 2 slices cinammon bread with cottage cheese on top. Always paired with a fruit

Post WO:
1 Scoop Whey Protein
1 cup reduced fat or almond milk (yesterday was 2%)

Lunch:
1 tuna salad wrap with cucumber tomato lettuce and a little balsamic vinegar (there was mayo in here but the dining hall made it so I can't say how much)
1 apple

Snack:
I'll usually have a Chobani flip yogurt or a granola bar or something similar if I feel hunger between now and dinner. I wasn't really hungry yesterday so forwent the snack.

Dinner:
3 1/4 inch slices of steak (they were a little bigger than the palm of my hand each)
6 roasted potato wedges
Half the plate of cooked sugar snap peas i always have a heaping pile of veggies in my plate

Dessert:
I'll usually eat something healthy like a banana and PB or something similar to that, but yesterday I just felt like ice cream for some reason so I went for it: 3 scoops of blueberry cheesecake ice cream

Even after eating like this, I kept telling myself that I was going to lose more weight at school for some reason. Which made me anxious. I wasn't hungry at all. (I honestly felt no physical hunger, but still had these thoughts). Any suggestions to keep my weight constant through college

Oh! And on the weekends I will usually go out drinking for the night about 5-6 light beers or a few more depending on the night.

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight in college...I had to walk EVERYWHERE. You might be doing a little more cardio than you realize.

To maintain weight, just keep doing what you are doing. Lift heavy. The one thing I would suggest from just skimming your food for the day is to maybe increase your protein intake; I know I lift heavy and eat about 150grams of protein a day (I'm a 34 yo female at 124lbs). So you might want to track your protein intake for couple of week and see if you need to up it.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight in college...I had to walk EVERYWHERE. You might be doing a little more cardio than you realize.

To maintain weight, just keep doing what you are doing. Lift heavy. The one thing I would suggest from just skimming your food for the day is to maybe increase your protein intake; I know I lift heavy and eat about 150grams of protein a day (I'm a 34 yo female at 124lbs). So you might want to track your protein intake for couple of week and see if you need to up it.

Hopefully this will help calm me down a little! I am lifting pretty heavy (just maxed out at 245lbs squat yesterday and maxed out at 175 bench last week). I just somehow get this fear that my parents cook with more fats and oils than the dining hall so what satisfies me at home is actually insufficient here. I haven't checked my weight since getting here about three weeks ago (my dietitian just told me to trust my instincts and that I should be fine). But I can't help but overthink the whole process. I have also kept a pretty rough tally for my daily protein and I usually estimate about: 15-30g at break, 40g at PWO, 32 at Lunch, 5-12 at snack, 20-30 at dinner (sometimes when I go to chipotle it hits as high as 40g though!) so that's about 112-144g.