Coffee??

Options
2»

Replies

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I am stayed away from coffee for a long time while I was losing weight but I am just wondering if coffee is good or bad for weight loss?? We have a coffee machine at home and have been very tired lately (thanks to my kid that don't sleep) and was gonna start drinking coffee again to help perk me up but don't wanna affect my weight/fat loss as only have about 5-10lbs to go to my main target and it's already started stalling. Any advice??
    Coffee itself barely has anything to it calorie-wise. It's 6 calories for an 8 ounce cup.

The real calories are what you ADD to said coffee: Do you take it with 2 or 3 creams and 4 sugars?

So my answer would be: If you like coffee and you want to drink it, drink with as minimal amount of "additives" as you can and still enjoy it...and then make it fit your calories with exercise or trimming out elsewhere.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol, or smoke and I rarely eat sweets, NOTHING will stop me from having Coffee!!

untitled.png
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,542 Member
    Options
    I drink at least one 16oz cup of coffee daily, with 2tbsp (measured) of real half and half in it. 40 calories. Doesn't seem to be slowing me down.
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    Its not the coffee that affects weight loss, but rather what you do to it. Plain black coffee is fine try adding some raw organic coconut oil in place of flavorings it will help with adding a perk too. Keeping yourself hydrated is going to do more to perk you up than anything.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Everything said above me is total truth, and having a 1 1/12 year old that isn't wanting to sleep either, I feel your pain. If you are a Starbucks Addict, be wary- but that doesn't mean you can't have a delicious cup of coffee and not splurge on calories or fat.
    Favorite thing to make when I am at work( and I work in a starbucks) is
    Venti Iced Coffee
    3 pumps Mocha
    3 pumps White Mocha
    1 shot espresso
    1 shot breve ( which is half/half)
    for 26 onces with ice is 235 calories, and you can usually find great low calorie ideas from your local barista's as well

yeah no
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Its not the coffee that affects weight loss, but rather what you do to it. Plain black coffee is fine try adding some raw organic coconut oil in place of flavorings it will help with adding a perk too. Keeping yourself hydrated is going to do more to perk you up than anything.
    If you like the coconut oil in there, fine, but why would it 'help with adding a perk'? Also, coffee doesn't appreciably dehydrate anyone who drinks it at all regularly.
  • Alastair007
    Alastair007 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    http://authoritynutrition.com/top-13-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coffee/
    Lots of positive effects for drinking coffee. Check the link..
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Everything said above me is total truth, and having a 1 1/12 year old that isn't wanting to sleep either, I feel your pain. If you are a Starbucks Addict, be wary- but that doesn't mean you can't have a delicious cup of coffee and not splurge on calories or fat.
    Venti Iced Coffee
    3 pumps Mocha
    3 pumps White Mocha
    1 shot espresso
    for 26 onces with ice is 235 calories, and you can usually find great low calorie ideas from your local barista's as well

Uh, that is not coffee. Starbucks does not sell coffee. I am a REAL coffee addict. I like it strong and steamy, black, of course. I lost 65 pounds without reducing my coffee intake. Oh, "how much?" you say. At least a pot a day. Sometimes more.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Venti Iced Coffee
    3 pumps Mocha
    3 pumps White Mocha
    1 shot espresso

Uh, that is not coffee. Starbucks does not sell coffee. I am a REAL coffee addict. I like it strong and steamy, black, of course. I lost 65 pounds without reducing my coffee intake. Oh, "how much?" you say. At least a pot a day. Sometimes more.

ahh I'd say Starbucks DOES sell coffee but the above is not exactly coffee. It's a candy bar's worth of syrup with some coffee in it.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No way in hell I'd ever give up my coffee.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Black coffee. It's about 10 cals. a gallon. I consider that a challenge.

^^ This!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Single K Cup Decaf Coffee with HWC and Davinci is my morning weekday staple and does not seem to hinder my progress. I have a few more cups during the weekend.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just log what you put into your coffee

Yep.

It can be a mild stimulant and a mild appetite suppressant YMMV. No negative impact on weight loss unless you add calories to it.
  • Halbared
    Halbared Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Currently going through a caffeine free September. Some atrocious headaches at the start, but things are OK now.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I drink several cups of coffee with a little 1% milk per day. Stay away from high calorie / fat creamers and sugar, and it's a perfectly healthy part of your diet. And I find it HELPS my weight loss big time, because it gets me motivated to get to my run, bike, or gym workout. Science backs this up - drinking caffeine before a workout helps you go harder or longer.

http://news.health.com/2014/06/19/5-reasons-to-drink-coffee-before-your-workout/

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/how-coffee-can-galvanize-your-workout/
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    coffee keeps me out of jail.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    coffee keeps me out of jail.
    Haha - AMEN! :drinker:

I drink it daily - 2 cups black with breakfast, and frequent afternoon iced coffee with sugar and half & half. Log it, drink it, love it.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    While my ulcerative colitis is in remission (thank goodness), I still deal with moderate body inflammation that can hinder my progress during exercise. Someone suggested a cup of coffee about 15-30 minutes before working out. Since I go to the gym in the early a.m. I now get up at 5 instead of 5:30 a.m. for that coffee. And let me tell ya ... it works wonders for me!

Once the coffee kicks in, it warms me from the inside out. I can literally feel my muscles warming from the bone to the skin and it "interrupts" those inflammatory signals my nerves are trying to tell my brain so I can push through my cardio and weight training. I credit coffee for jumpstarting my weight loss and consistently losing one pound a week. (although I did not lose or gain this past week, but that is because I did not eat enough). The coffee also helps tone down muscle fatigue and aches afterwards.

I don't do the coffee thing every morning though as I don't want it to stop working so I do it three days a week - Mondays and Thursdays when I work with a trainer and Saturdays when I do HIIT. The coffee I drink is actually cold too. What I do in the morning before work when I make coffee is brew a little extra and stick in the fridge. That way at butt ugly a.m., I don't have to wait for it to brew ... I just grab and go. Plus, still shaking the dregs of sleep, I don't have to worry about sloshing steamy hot coffee on me!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Coffee is its own beautiful little food group in my world. It's the reason I got through grad school, and the reason that my BF is not yet dead.