Don't understand gym machine?

At my gym the weight machines have the usual weight prong thingy that you can move up and down with the weight written on it.
However as well has that there is a dial at the top that moves through 0,5,10 and 15.

I know its a stupid question but what does it mean? and what does it mean for the amount of weight I'm lifting?

Replies

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Do you not think you should ask the trainers at your gym? you know, the people you pay.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    DOn't be afraid to ask someone there if there was a question.

BY the dials I can guess moving the prong will move the weight by 20 lbs. The dial adds weight to the prong weight you lift.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    The #s on the dial are additional weight you can add to the stack. For example, on the leg curl machine at my gym, the stack bars go up by 20 but if you are not ready to go up 20 but can go up a little you can put the dial on 5 to add 5 lbs, 10 to add 10, 15 to add 15 and 0 is the default. Do this until you can move up to the next bar.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    If I had to guess, I'd say it allows for more gradual increase in the amount of weight you're lifting. The plates on most machines increase in increments of 15-20 pounds so with the 5, 10 and 15 pound options in between, that gives yuo more options.

And yes, I'd agree, before you go playing around, ask the staff. Better to be safe than sorry!
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    The prong increases the weight in larger increments....20 per prong on the ones at my gym. The dial is for smaller increments...5, 10, 15. So if you put the prong on 50 and the dial on 10, then you are lifting 60.

This isn't a stupid question but it is a very basic one, which makes me think you must be very new to weight training. No shame in that, we all started out as newbies. Still, you might want to book a session with a personal trainer and get taught how to design a routine for you and do it with proper form, otherwise you might hurt yourself or just waste time with a routine that doesn't help you achieve your goals.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    This isn't a stupid question but it is a very basic one, which makes me think you must be very new to weight training. No shame in that, we all started out as newbies.

Agreed. When my YMCA changed to these new machines, from the old ones, I signed up for a free orientation. In 30 minutes or so we went to every machine. We setup positions for my height (Seat #, Back #, Lap #, etc), and covered the proper technique to each lift. We then recorded it on a sheet so I could keep track of my progress and the setup of each machine.

I can't tell you how often I see someone sitting on a machine backwards or using the wrong hand positions.

Every YMCA in my area uses a different weight circuit and I make sure to get the orientation to the equipment.

Don't be afraid to ask, when I see someone getting orientated I'm a happy camper. I know they will know how to use it, how to leave it (wipe it down if needed), and how to rotate sets with others.

/edited spelling
  • halagr
    halagr Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks!! Going up in smaller increments makes a lot of sense, if i was smarter I could have figured this out - I'm not really new to weight training but they're new machines and the gyms going through a refurbishment and as it's quite small there's not a lot (or any) staff around.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    No shame in asking someone working out too. People rather see you ask them than make yourself look like a fool doing something wrong and hurting yourself.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Just use the free weights. Problem solved :)