Morning Exercise Heart Rate Lower?

Options
This is more of a curiosity thing for me. I got my new Garmin Heart Rate Monitor last night, so, of course, the first thing I did was try it out in my evening workout. I also used it this morning. I attempted to put the same amount of energy into both workouts. Here are the basic numbers.

Last Night:
Time 1:11:44
Max HR: 159
Average: 140

This Morning:
Time: 49:47
Mas HR: 141
Average: 128

I just could not get my heart rate higher this morning, and I'm curious as to why. My thoughts are that my waking heart rate is usually around 54 bpm. Whereas during the day when I am up and moving around, my resting heart rate is around 63 bpm. Also, in the morning, I wake up and immediately start my workout (after dressing, of course), whereas in the evening I've been up and moving around, drinking water all day, and have eaten both breakfast and lunch. Any thoughts?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Based on an experiment with horses.......

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19142757

it seems that we mammals typically have higher heart rates, blood pressure etc later in the day.

While it's purely anecdotal I've observed that my heart rate for a morning run is typically lower than if I do an after work run (but there are also other variables at play such as temperature & humidity) and you'll probably observe that your heart rate will vary from day to day too. Just goes to show that we're not machines that can replicate the same results day in day out.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Also, in the morning, I wake up and immediately start my workout (after dressing, of course)
    First of all running outside naked is so much fun. There's the whole eluding the police thing that really gets you motivated to run faster. You should still wear shoes however.

Seriously we don't have enough information here to really even guess. Are you exercising outside or inside? Was it a lot cooler in the morning? Dropping temps can greatly reduce the heart rate.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    First of all running outside naked is so much fun. There's the whole eluding the police thing that really gets you motivated to run faster. You should still wear shoes however.

def-18913762639.jpeg
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Also, in the morning, I wake up and immediately start my workout (after dressing, of course)

Seriously we don't have enough information here to really even guess. Are you exercising outside or inside? Was it a lot cooler in the morning? Dropping temps can greatly reduce the heart rate.

LMAO That's hilarious!! I wouldn't want to traumatize anyone, though, including the poor animals!

Indoor workout both days, steady temp.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Based on an experiment with horses.......

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19142757

it seems that we mammals typically have higher heart rates, blood pressure etc later in the day.

While it's purely anecdotal I've observed that my heart rate for a morning run is typically lower than if I do an after work run (but there are also other variables at play such as temperature & humidity) and you'll probably observe that your heart rate will vary from day to day too. Just goes to show that we're not machines that can replicate the same results day in day out.

Thanks for this!!! It would be so much easier to be machine. Then I could just plug in to recharge. ;)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i noticed the same thing, it always seemed easier to get to a higher heart rate in the evening then in the morning.

i just figured i was that much more with it in the evening and was honestly working harder