Come and analize my Diary please

Options
2»

Replies

• tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Sodium......best way to reduce is not eat deli meats for one, prepackaged foods contain high levels. Hide the salt shaker. Eat fresh if you can, prepared meats should be replaced with meats cooked at home......chicken, turkey, pork, fish.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I noticed a few things that could help you. First, your sodium intake on several days is very high. That will cause you to retain water, and it will elevate your BP. Next, consider reducing dairy if you can. Look for a substitute you like (I like Vanilla flavored Coconut milk). Finally, try to swap out a few of the carbs you take in for some raw fruits and veggies.

Just my 2 cents...
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 56 lbs! That's amazing weight loss in 5 weeks.
    It's good you are exercising and drinking lots of water. BTW, urinating 5 times per day is not a lot. In fact, it's normal output.

Things I noted about your diary are:

High sodium intake due to eating out, deli type foods, and crunchy snacks.

Low fruit, no vegetables (I see on your reply, you hate veggies). There are ways to eat veggies without really knowing it. Look for recipes that disguise them.

What is Becel Margarine Original - Butter? Is it margarine or butter? I'd say switch to real butter...really the same calories, and it's not a man-made concoction that resembles butter, but is butter.

Skim milk. Do you like this better than fuller fat milk? If not, switch to 2% or whole. It's far more satisfying. You aren't tracking fat in your diary, so I am assuming you aren't aiming for a very low fat diet. Don't know what your macros are percentage-wise.

Egg whites only? Why not eat the whole egg? The yolk is very nutritious. If you must lower cholesterol, eat two whole eggs and more egg whites.

Breads. I see lots of breads and tortillas and all, but not really enough protein to balance it out. Why do you eat 4 slices of bread to 4 shaved slices of turkey breast? Are the bread slices super small?

Light Mayo. Why? Full fat mayo is more satisfying, and most likely contains less added sugar.

Light Sour Cream. Same as above.

Low protein intake in general.

Are you hungry? You don't often meet your daily calorie goal. Maybe you are meeting your weekly goal, though. I did not calculate it. Do you have strong cravings?

Changed calorie goal on Sept. 5th from 2910 to 2760. Was that due to the 56 lbs. lost?
  • soopaang
    soopaang Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing awesome and congrats! I am losing but not with the fury that you are! I definitely agree with other commentators that you should change up your menu because boredom with your food can be a killer! In regards to sodium, I know you're a self proclaimed picky eater so maybe start small by subbing out your high sodium food with a whole food equivalent. For example, the processed lunch meats could be subbed for an actual roasted meat (a rotisserie chicken maybe) that you hand slice. Instead of canned fish maybe you can poach/steam a fillet of Salmon or tuna and use it in a salad for lunch time. Also add a fresh fruit or veggie to or in your meal and maybe unsalted unsalted or lightly salted nuts in for a high protein and low sodium snack. Just ideas but congrats on your progress!
  • dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 56 lbs! That's amazing weight loss in 5 weeks.
    It's good you are exercising and drinking lots of water. BTW, urinating 5 times per day is not a lot. In fact, it's normal output.

Things I noted about your diary are:

High sodium intake due to eating out, deli type foods, and crunchy snacks.

Low fruit, no vegetables (I see on your reply, you hate veggies). There are ways to eat veggies without really knowing it. Look for recipes that disguise them.

What is Becel Margarine Original - Butter? Is it margarine or butter? I'd say switch to real butter...really the same calories, and it's not a man-made concoction that resembles butter, but is butter.

Skim milk. Do you like this better than fuller fat milk? If not, switch to 2% or whole. It's far more satisfying. You aren't tracking fat in your diary, so I am assuming you aren't aiming for a very low fat diet. Don't know what your macros are percentage-wise.

I thought Skim milk would be better because it has less calories
    Egg whites only? Why not eat the whole egg? The yolk is very nutritious. If you must lower cholesterol, eat two whole eggs and more egg whites.

Last time I had blood work I had above normal bad cholesterol
    Breads. I see lots of breads and tortillas and all, but not really enough protein to balance it out. Why do you eat 4 slices of bread to 4 shaved slices of turkey breast? Are the bread slices super small?

I love bread and it fills me. The bread slices are incredibly thin! (Weight Watchers bread)
    Light Mayo. Why? Full fat mayo is more satisfying, and most likely contains less added sugar.

Full fat Mayo contains more calories, yes?
    Light Sour Cream. Same as above.

Full fat sour cream contains more calories, yes?
    Low protein intake in general.

Absolutely and would love to get it up more
    Are you hungry? You don't often meet your daily calorie goal. Maybe you are meeting your weekly goal, though. I did not calculate it. Do you have strong cravings?

Not hungry at all and if I do get cravings, I drink more water.
    Changed calorie goal on Sept. 5th from 2910 to 2760. Was that due to the 56 lbs. lost?

Yes
  • dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    First of all would like to say congrats on losing 56 lbs already.
    Means you must be doing something right, right?

Then when i look into your diary (only went back 2 weeks) i notice 2 things immediatly:

Your Sodium intake. I find this pretty high. Looks to me you are still eating a lot of processed foods when not needed if i look on what you eat.
    Then on a second note i notice you are pretty low on your protein intake

For the rest i agree with sljohnson on pretty much everything!!!

Thanks for the congrats. I really do appreciate it. It's hard work, but it seems to be paying off!

But back on topic, I will admit right here and now, I am a lover of processed foods. :)
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yes, skim milk, full fat mayo, and full fat sour cream, may all have more calories, but what they also have is some healthy fats (which provide satiety), and usually have not been altered into "diet foods" by reducing the fat and increasing the sugars.

Generally speaking, and there is plenty of new science debunking the fat is bad for you mindset regarding cholesterol, fats are not bad for you. It's really not about that at all. It's likely your "bad cholesterol" is high because you are heavy, and will drastically improve with weight loss. Increased exercise and a better diet should help this. It may not be quick, but it should help. If it does not, your level may be hereditary. It may be helpful to have your doctor check your numbers every 50 lbs or so or pick a timeframe like every 6 months regardless of pounds lost and see if you have a downward trend. Also, it's not just those standard numbers that matter. Triglycerides are very important and you didn't say that was high. Also, the ratios of your numbers are more telling than just one out of the several that come back on those routine tests. Just like a one time fasting blood glucose reading can't diagnose diabetes, and Ha1C will, because it's over a longer period of time.

Many people do very well with a 20% reduction in calories (creating a deficit) and a 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats ratio diet. You are doing EXTREMELY well already. You should NOT feel discouraged at all. Seriously, the items I pointed out were just things that I saw, since you asked. Can you imagine how well you'd be doing if you just tweaked a few things, esp. the sodium levels? I think water retention may be an issue, plus blood pressure. And if it's not now, it may become a problem with extended consumption of high levels of sodium.

The reason I mentioned the full fat products is because you aren't meeting your calorie goals, and you said you are a picky eater. You seem to like specific foods. You don't have to eat something different to get more calories. It's not always best to make your deficit bigger. Sometimes that can cause bingeing, and you already have a cheat day. Do you ever feel out of control on cheat day? Do you find it hard to restrict the day(s) after a cheat day? These are all questions that you'd have to answer personally, but they come to my mind because of experience and reading about others' experiences with weight loss and the frustrations it can cause when restricting too much, too soon, for a long time.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Just curious; but at the subway canada website, it did not list the 12" pizza sub; but only lists the 6" one. If you double the sodium at the link it is somewhat less than what you are recording. I am not sure if you are selecting items off of the mfp database; but I have found information to be incorrect on a number of my choices and I had to adjust the figures. FYI

http://w.subway.com/en-CA/MenuNutrition/Menu/Product?ProductId=1136&MenuCategoryId=14