Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Options
Hi everyone =). I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) when I was about 16. I never really thought much of it, but now that I'm getting older (21) it's been on my mind a lot. I only have about 10 pounds to lose to get to a healthy weight, and 15-20 lbs to get to my goal weight.

I've been researching a little online tonight and I've noticed that a lot of websites recommend a low-carb, low sugar, low GI diet. Just wanted to know if anyone on here has PCOS and if so, how are you dealing with it? What kinds of food do you eat/ what does your food diary usually look like?

Thanks!
-Ashley

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS, Fibroids, and Endometriosis. I can't do low carb at all or my metabolism slows way down and I gain weight. I've also had other issues that I'm dealing with that cause me to have to limit my protein and fat intake so I guess it's good that I don't do well on low carb. ;) Everyone is different though, so play around with your eating at different carb levels and see what works best for your body. You may find that you are a classic PCOS person who needs lower carbs or you may find that you are a non-traditional PCOS person, like me, who does better on high carbs. Don't feel like you have to be pigeonholed into a specific diet based on PCOS. You are you and when you find the range that works best for you, you'll see results, regardless of whether you fit the mold or not.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i have pcos and can't do high carb at all or it is instant weight gain. i set my macronutrients to 25% carbs, 30% fat and 45% protein. it is a balance that works well for me and keeps me feeling healthy as my weight decreases. my sister also has it and eat 30% carbs, 30% fats and 40% protien. that breakdown works well for her. you just have to play around with your food and see what works with your body. good luck!
    dawn
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed this past October after having the worst time losing weight.
    My doctor recommended a mixture of lower carbs and a Mediterranean diet.
    If my carbs get above 100g my weight loss stalls/raises regardless of my activity or calorie count.
    I have the most success keeping my carb count below 70g and eating foods recommended on a normal Mediterranean diet. If I stick to it, I easily lose 1-2lbs a week, sometimes a little more. And I can even increase my calorie count IF I keep the carb count lower.
    I have also discovered that being on birth control and taking the basic recommended vitamins and minerals REALLY improves my mood and cravings. I take a multivitamin, omega 3, complex B, and clacium with magnesium.
    Keep researching and keep adjusting and you'll figure it out!
    Good luck!!