How to eat junk food in moderation.

Options
2»

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    OFY: Optimal For You.

I'd try to sell you my OFY plan for $19.95 + S&H, but I can't, because it's OFM: Optimal For Me. You have to figure out what works for you.

I have some questions you could ask yourself to start with, though:

1. How much is enough to be happy? The bigger the portion size it takes, the less often you'll be able to indulge in moderation.

2. How does the treat affect you? Any unpleasant side effects? Like excess hunger, craving, foggy headed, queasy, low energy, less than stellar workout performance? Worse mood? If you have an issue with a food you love, you might prefer to eat it less often.

3. Look at your calorie budget. Now look at your nutrition needs. Now look at how willing you are to supplement with vitamins to meet your nutritional needs while staying within calories. The less calories you need and the less willing you are to supplement, the less likely it is you can fit regular treats in more than tiny portion sizes.

Personally I crave like mad and I like huge portion sizes, and I try my best to get as many nutrients as I can from my food, so every day or even every week treats is not the definition of moderation for me. But you might be different. There, I saved you $19.95. Drat, I'm never going to make any money this way! :laugh:

PS- for those of you reading- this is a GREAT post.
    Agreed!
    Pre-log your "must haves," whether they be junk food or not, and plan the rest of your day around it.
    This is also a great idea. Decide if there are foods you feel you must have every day or every so often and pre-log them for the day. I almost always leave some calories at night for a snack because I know I'll crave one between dinner and bedtime. I also pre-log a few beers when I know I'll be going out with friends later in the evening or I'll pre-log my dinner if I know what I'm making that night. It makes it much easier to plan the rest of my day and see where I have a little wiggle room for a treat.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Moderation to me:

Pre-log your "must haves," whether they be junk food or not, and plan the rest of your day around it.

One of my friends PM'd me this morning asking how I can get away with eating ice cream for breakfast. I told her I pre-log my day, and I play with the serving sizes until it fits. Some days I can only have a spoonful, and sometimes I can have more than a serving, but I have it.