Drive Thru fast Food Addiction

Options
There is a bit of psychology I want to discuss about this. Yes I know you can go through the drive thru and get salads or coffee, but this is not about those people.

Does anyone else suffer from drive thru fast food addiction? Or better yet, an "instant hot food" addiction. Here I am, trying to lose weight, and justifying my Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich I just gobbled down from Jack in the Box because it was 520 calories, and I still have 1280 calories for the rest of the day.

But I think there is something more important at work here. Yes, a calories is a calorie and it has been debated here ad nauseam. However, there are also habits to consider. For instance, I try to stay away from sugar because the sweetness of it, especially when cooking things like teriyaki, makes me even more hungry.

Is the habit of going through the drive thru all my life going to be something that holds me back? Today might be a very good day calories wise, but I have slipped in the past, and binged at the drive thru. So even though going today might not have an effect on the bottom line, does it set me up for failure later on, because today I just reinforced this "habit"?

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I don't have an addiction, but I do go two or three times a week. I just changed what I get.

My weakness is dinner. Kids in sports and running here and there..temptation and I always cave.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with fast food. I still eat it and lose fine mind I tend to avoid the breakfast potatoes preferring the options that have apples or something but that's just my personal preference.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue with the calories, because if I want a burger I can adjust what I eat the rest of the day to keep my numbers in the green. It's the sodium. The MASSIVE sodium. For instance, yesterday I had a very small serving of nachos. I stayed under my calorie budget but I woke up with a 2lb weight gain this morning because of the water retention.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    There is a bit of psychology I want to discuss about this. Yes I know you can go through the drive thru and get salads or coffee, but this is not about those people.

Does anyone else suffer from drive thru fast food addiction? Or better yet, an "instant hot food" addiction. Here I am, trying to lose weight, and justifying my Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich I just gobbled down from Jack in the Box because it was 520 calories, and I still have 1280 calories for the rest of the day.

But I think there is something more important at work here. Yes, a calories is a calorie and it has been debated here ad nauseam. However, there are also habits to consider. For instance, I try to stay away from sugar because the sweetness of it, especially when cooking things like teriyaki, makes me even more hungry.

Is the habit of going through the drive thru all my life going to be something that holds me back? Today might be a very good day calories wise, but I have slipped in the past, and binged at the drive thru. So even though going today might not have an effect on the bottom line, does it set me up for failure later on, because today I just reinforced this "habit"?

I think you're asking a great question.

Here is my current opinion.

So at the surface you already know that as long as you can maintain a continual energy deficit you will be able to continue to lose weight. It would be pretty easy to just answer "Yeah you'll be fine just stay in a calorie deficit". And that could be correct but it doesn't address the habits.

I wouldn't say that today's visit to the drive-through is going to set you back. I would say that it's probably in your best interest to limit trips to the drive through if you believe the drive through is a likely place for you to binge-eat. Note: I am not suggesting that you have to give up fast food entirely.

The other thing I'd probably pay very close attention to, are your hunger/satiety signals so that you can evaluate whether or not the items you are ordering are keeping you full, vs satisfying some other need.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Sugary coffee drinks from Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts/Einsteins are my downfall. When I start my day with a calorie bomb, it's hard to stay within calories the rest of the day. So, I made Fridays my day where I can stop for coffee if I want to, and I get what I want, and I make changes the rest of the day so it fits in. I don't want to eliminate it, but I know that *I* can't stop there every day. And yes, sometimes I get a healthier version, but sometimes I just want that frapucchino :)
  • xo_jenny
    xo_jenny Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think a huge part of weight loss is the psychology behind it... especially for those of us with food issues. I do think that hitting up the drive-thru on a regular basis could potentially sabotage your weight loss; as you've said this morning wasn't so bad but that could easily turn into a 1000+ calorie binge. I know a lot of people on MFP preach "eat everything in moderation" but I know for me that there are certain things I can't moderate. I wouldn't order a pizza saying "I'll just eat one slice" because I know that specific food has classically triggered overeating for me. So I am avoiding pizza. For the rest of my life, no. But until I feel strong enough with my habit changes to not worry so much about eating a slice.

Also, fast and processed food is generally engineered to light up your pleasure zones that trigger overeating. I just finished the book Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss and it was really eye-opening in terms of how food manufacturers manipulate our self-control.

I'm not saying you should avoid drive-thrus for the rest of your life, but avoiding them for a defined period of time could be a good thing. Good luck!
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do believe fast food can be addicting. I bought many a mcchicken when I wasn't hungry in the least. I just wanted to have a party in my mouth. I am *not* saying this is true for everyone, but for me, the more I eat fast food, the more I want it. Maybe they scientifically study some people and their taste buds (ie, they have a good balance of fats and sugar that keep me going back for more). Maybe it's something in my genetics that not everyone has. But fast food is addicting for me and that's why I don't go anymore. I know there are healthier options at most fast food places and I know sometimes people use it for time & schedule purposes-but for me personally, it will lead to more consumption. I just think everyone is different in this area.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    You're recognizing one of the key ingredients to lasting success: habits.

Forming good habits is about practice. Like anything else, it requires repetition.

Sounds like to me you already know what you need to do, now you just need to do it - repeatedly - to start forming the habits.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some people don't change their habits. They just adjust their portions. It works for them.

My advice is to quit the fast food. Go cold turkey. Just stop that. It's not the hardest habit to break.

Eating at home is less tragic than it will seem the first week. :)
  • vmiyanks04
    vmiyanks04 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE drive through... McDonald's, Wendy's, Popeye's, Chick-Fil-A, etc... I've always struggled with Fast Food because I love it so much. It stems not only from a habitual need but also a comfort need. Emotional eating can be tough for me. My family used it as a reward or to feel better when I was a kid, so I look to that as a level of comfort now in my 30s. I use it as a reward after passing my military fitness test but also my go-to when I'm upset. But what I've learned in the last few years is to decrease the portions. I will NEVER get a salad at Mickey-D's... what's the point of going there then? But instead of getting a Supersized/Large Big Mac Meal with a Root Beer and a Cinnamon Melt (like I used to get all the time as a kid), I'll just get a big mac or 2 hamburgers, small fries and a diet coke or water. This way it fills my craving for the yummy flavor of a Big Mac and McD's fries but without the extra 1000 calories of the large size, soda and dessert (the flavor is all you are really craving, the portion is something you can control). Also, by not completely eliminating it from my diet, then I don't feel the need to binge. I try to be good during the week and then look forward to my cheat meals on the weekends. As long as you're counting your calories PER WEEK (not just per day), and exercising at least 3 times a week (3x to maintain, more than 3x to improve), you'll be good to go!

10953743.png
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Here's the issue as I see it. I'm not into clean eating and I'm one of the biggest calories in vs calories out people you'll ever meet. This being said, I would NEVER make it a REGULAR practice to devote 30% of my daily calories to 1 breakfast sandwich, especially one that had such a high amount of fat relative to it's protein content (27.5F vs 36.4P). I do eat fast food on occasion but it generally has a much better protein to fat ratio. Are you only counting calories? If so I'd suggest you also count macro nutrients. This helps because it makes it not impossible, but much harder to have a successful day while eating a sandwich like that. Also you must ensure that you get in enough micronutrient rich food and fiber to be healthy. Eating away 30% of your calories on a sandwich makes that harder (not impossible). Satiety would also be a concern. How filling was that sandwich for you? Satiety is largely personal but I know for myself that I'd be hungry almost immediately after eating it. Given the choice I'd sooner make myself a large omelette with cheese and a side of oatmeal for the same calories. I just plugged the numbers of a 2 whole egg, 8 egg white omelette, with 1oz cheddar cheese, spinach, and peppers, plus a full serving of oatmeal. It's almost exactly the same calories (577) With 20 fat and 55 grams of protein. While I'll concede the ultimate breakfast sandwich probably tastes better, I feel most people would find the massive omelette and bowl of oats much more filling.

To me calorie counting is a game of how full can I get off of how many calories I have. I've been ex-obese for a few years now and my appetite has yet to make the change. I'm still just as hungry as I always was and learning to make the most out of my calories has been crucial. At the end of the day, calories in vs calories out still wins 100% of the time, but you have complete control over the calories in side of the equation. Can you lose weight eating lots of fast food? Sure can. Can you make it easier on yourself by eating more micronutrient rich, filling, food, I think so!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Eat at home, prep in advance and zap in the microwave if you want it fast. You will have soooo much more control, over sodium, over portions and over fat.

Drive throughs don't have to be eliminated for the rest of your life, just right now and until you get a handle on your changes and they become habit.

Habits are what get you through in the long run.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I found the plus side to skipping the fast food joints is the money I save. Even ordering off the dollar menu is more expensive than bringing my lunch to work. And if I do decide to hit the golden arches (or any of their competitors), I check the calories carefully before I order.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Does Starbucks count?

I would go every morning if I wouldn't have to pay for it myself! :blushing:
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have had to stop eating fast food completely because even though I might stay under my calories, some days I just order too much and eat it all. But the biggest issue to me was that I would eat a fast food meal for lunch and be STARVING within a few hours and want to eat more! I have learned what works for me (more protein keeps me full longer) as well as avoiding any trigger food for bad eating habits. But I agree with other posters- if you manage your portions or change what you eat at fast food restaurants I think it is fine. But if it causes you to be tempted too much, then steer clear. Have some foods at home you really enjoy to snack on while you make dinner so the appeal of instant and hot is tempered a bit. I use fruits/100 cal greek yogurt for those times (I have a strong sweet tooth), but pick something you really enjoy and it will still feel like a treat :) But just my two cents. Good luck!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    When you feel the urge to hit the drive-thru, ask yourself: "Am I truly hungry?" If so, order something within your calorie range and enjoy it without guilt.

If you are not hungry and are going simply out of habit, tell yourself, "No, I don't need this. I will feel poorly both physically and mentally." And then remember exactly what you wrote here.

You can do it! Takes effort, but you can do it.
  • thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had my Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich an hour ago and I am hungry as heck right now.

1. I am going to back to intermittent fasting, by skipping breakfast daily or having a granola bar.
    2. I am going to quit fast food drive thru for one year, starting today. (Road trips with family dont count)
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do eat the "healthier" items at fast food joints, like salads (assuming they don't have a ton of cheese/bacon ect), Subway 6 inch subs, salad from chipotle, but I try to stay away from burgers/fried stuff.

I use to go to the drive-through ALOT, and it took me awhile to get out of the habit of stopping on my way home from work when I'm starving. But just like going was a habit, so is bypassing it and cooking at home. I feel much healthier now that I've cut that stuff out.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Wombat,

We are similar. I can have a "modest" sandwich at a drive thru and my cravings are turned on all day. It might play more into more than calorie in and calorie out, if you are having similar issues.

I limit fast food, and actually try to avoid. The only way I've done this with any consistency is to plan and pack all my foods for the day, and have a sensible option to cook or eat at home. If I wait until I'm hungry, the ADD 6 year old in me is likely to have sway, and he doesn't make good choices.

I also think there is an element in design in these fast foods that drives our cravings. Many of these foods are designed in lab to cause us to hit what the developers literally call the "bliss point" when we eat them. Not my opinion, they actually call it this. They are meant to keep us addicted and craving.