Why drink a gallon of water?

Options
124»

Replies

• jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My day dictates my water intake. I leave the house with a gallon of water every morning at 5am. My workout/energy expenditure tends to dictate how much of that I get through, sometimes I will finish it by 2pm other times I go to bed and it is still half full. Like many have already said if I am hungry, but it isn't feeding time, I will drink. I also bring the jug cause if I didn't I would never get up to get more water and then I would never drink enough. I guess for me I would just rather have water on hand, than to be tempted to go looking for a soda.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    During off season, I drink about a gallon to 1.5 gallons a day. First gallon has my creatine mixed in it...so I really enjoy the taste.

During time leading up to a show, I go from 1.5 all the way up to 3 gallons just prior to the show, but that's not really germane to your question.

Drinking water keeps me full, so I don't stray from my diet. Also, many people gain weight because they graze while they are bored. If you are sitting down watching TV or on the computer and are drink cup after cup of water, you feel full (atleast I do) and I don't graze.

Also, I work out about 2 hrs a day, weightlifting and cardio, so I do sweat a lot.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I can't see a gallon a day hurting you, but if it were me I'll skip the tredmill because my cardio will be from how often I run to the restroom as a result.. lol
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I thought in addition to hydration, it helps flush toxins from your body which helps prevent kidney stones and UTI. Is that wrong?

It flushes out quite a bit, kidney stones are a different issue, though. It depends on the quality of the water, and the mineral content. If there are a lot of minerals in the water, and you drink a lot, it can actually contribute to the development of kidney stones. Add some cranberry juice to help flush out excess minerals.

:drinker:
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Can't hurt, might help.

I follow the body weight in lbs/2 = h2o in ounces per day rule, plus I add water on running days (4 cups) and lifting days (2-3 cups).

Works for me and I feel great.

^^I was just about to ask if anyone had heard of this formula^^ I've seen it from time to time, and use that as a target for myself, but really never knew the basis for it.

I've never heard of it.

Read it somewhere and went with it. It works for me. Plus, each trip to the bathroom is more calories burned.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only drink water. Some evenings I'll have a craft beer.

Just for fun, I kept track of how many bottles I drank today. It was 8 16 oz bottles. I used a calculator and voila, that's a gallon of water.

I get anxious if I don't have SOMETHING to drink right next to me. I'm pretty miserable (well that's exaggerating) on a half-hour run, I'm so thirsty by the end of it. I just am in a habit of sipping all day.
  • redfawn7
    Options
    Seriously, I can't even remember to drink my 8 glasses a day. How do you drink that much.
  • wellz6
    Options
    I drink around 1.5 gallons a day mainly because I don't personally feel it's too much and I'd rather have a little too much than not enough. I've been doing it for probably 6-8 years now and it's just become a habit and is very easy to accomplish. As far as sodium levels go, I feel we all probably get too much sodium in our diets anyway. If you look on the labels of most foods in the grocery store there is sodium added to almost everything. I just feel better overall when I get at least a gallon in per day.