Bruised Rib - What's your experience with recovery time?

Options
jeanlake
jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
Would love your input. Bruised the side of my rib cage a week ago. Riding my bike, gawking at a beautifully landscaped backyard and boom -- the front tire slipped off sidewalk and down I go. It wasn't a hard fall, but the left handlebar jabbed me. I worked out once since then but pain increased afterward. Giving my workouts a rest for a while. What's your experience with recovery time from bruised ribs? Your comments are appreciated.

Replies

• LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If it is bruised it's usually 2 weeks. Hurts like the ****ens. Use ice often. Hard to do anything if your ribs are hurt.
  • dfarina33
    dfarina33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing on my bike, my front wheel hit my riding partner's rear wheel and did a face plant. I would say that 2-3 weeks minimum. I found it very hard to sleep the first week or so. Try advil or some equivalent. I was able to ride my bike and walk after a couple of days.
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Appreciate your input. It's been 2 weeks and the sharp pains when breathing deep is about over. Still wake up when I sleep on the wrong side! Haven't done my workout routine and I'm missing it. Trying to eat less and drink lots of liquids so I don't lose ground. Hiking in North Carolina in a couple of weeks. I'm anticipating being in much less pain. Your input is encouraging. Thanks again.
    Jean
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I slipped in the tub 20 years ago and bruised the heck out of my ribs right behind my breast. It showed a big black spot on xray from the blood. It took 4 weeks to get back to "normal" for me. I hope you get well soon, but don't push it. How is walking right now?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!