I may have colitis HELP with foods

Options
Hello,

going at the end of the month to get all the tests done to find out if my stomach issues are Colitis or my gallbladder. I need help with food. I have been back on track with my eating, but doctor said no raw veggies. any ideas would be wonderful. the pain in my stomach is not how I want to determin if I should/shouldn't eat something.

feeling very frustrated

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Follow your doctor's orders. If these foods cause you intestinal distress, there is a good chance your body isn't absorbing the nutrients from them anyway.

Why not just eat cooked vegetables until you get tested? Once you have a diagnosis, you can speak your doctor or nutritionist about meal plans.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've had ulcerative colitis for decades. And I am terrible at taking care of it. I've eaten a lot of the no-no foods for a long time, and suffered from it, but not always, which is the really annoying thing. Sometimes I can handle those foods just fine. The trouble is, it's a crap-shoot on whether it will be ok or not.

I would suggest listening to your doc. Maybe things will work out that you can have your raw veggies back sometime :)
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i feel for ya girl. my hubs has had mystery GI issues for a couple of years now. one things that helps calm the crams and nausea is ginger carrot soup. it sounds weird but it's actually pretty tasty.
    another thing we had to try was gluten free, lactose free, no coffee. so basically your on an elimination diet. only eat the foods you KNOW you can tolerate. and if they say no raw veg, then steam/sautee/boil or bake. whatever you have to do.

try looking for a FODMAP food list- it's about the simplest no frills food list out there. remember it's not forever. so basically mimally processed meats, greek yogurt and hard cheeses, and be very careful of your fruits and veg. only a small handfull of nuts and seeds (no peanuts- be careful of almonds) and just use real sugar when you need to. the artificial/alternative sweeteners can wreak havoc on some people. no breads or pastas. give it two weeks and then try out 1 thing. but only 1 per day and possibly just try out one group of things at a time like a week for fruit and see how it goes, then try out sweeteners or whatever the next week. go slow and pay very close attention to how it makes you feel in the following hours. if it disagrees with you it may not do anything until it's well into your gut.

if they have it narrowed down to your colon or your gall bladder you're very lucky. this has been just an unending trial for the last 6 years.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SCANS!:flowerforyou:
  • toki18
    toki18 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also have colitis and I have also been put on the low fodmap diet by my dietician + gastroenterologist . You should ask your doctor if this could be useful for you. There are loads of lists online but your dietician should have the most up to date booklets/lists as new foods are continually been tested.

The 3 main things I was told were the absolute worst are onions, garlic and gluten. I use the green part of the spring onion instead of onions and ginger or garlic infused olive oil instead of garlic. I eat a ridiculous amount of courgette spaghetti!

I found it's help reduce the cramping and bloating and also the amount of flare ups I have.

It's quite a daunting diet in the beginning but once i started feeling better, the hassle of food prep was worth it.

Good luck and I hope you don't have UC!
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i feel for ya girl. my hubs has had mystery GI issues for a couple of years now. one things that helps calm the crams and nausea is ginger carrot soup. it sounds weird but it's actually pretty tasty.
    another thing we had to try was gluten free, lactose free, no coffee. so basically your on an elimination diet. only eat the foods you KNOW you can tolerate. and if they say no raw veg, then steam/sautee/boil or bake. whatever you have to do.

try looking for a FODMAP food list- it's about the simplest no frills food list out there. remember it's not forever. so basically mimally processed meats, greek yogurt and hard cheeses, and be very careful of your fruits and veg. only a small handfull of nuts and seeds (no peanuts- be careful of almonds) and just use real sugar when you need to. the artificial/alternative sweeteners can wreak havoc on some people. no breads or pastas. give it two weeks and then try out 1 thing. but only 1 per day and possibly just try out one group of things at a time like a week for fruit and see how it goes, then try out sweeteners or whatever the next week. go slow and pay very close attention to how it makes you feel in the following hours. if it disagrees with you it may not do anything until it's well into your gut.

if they have it narrowed down to your colon or your gall bladder you're very lucky. this has been just an unending trial for the last 6 years.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SCANS!:flowerforyou:

its been alot longer than this, but its now getting to the point its unbearable when an attack happens. I actually keep ginger tea, and pickled ginger on hand wherever I go, I have ginger candy as well. Its the only thing that works to calm everything down. The mornings are the worst.
    So far im doing the elimination, i try it, if it doesn't upset my stomach ok cool, if it does its out of the house.
  • JennDoesKeto
    Options
    I also have colitis and I have also been put on the low fodmap diet by my dietician + gastroenterologist . You should ask your doctor if this could be useful for you. There are loads of lists online but your dietician should have the most up to date booklets/lists as new foods are continually been tested.

The 3 main things I was told were the absolute worst are onions, garlic and gluten. I use the green part of the spring onion instead of onions and ginger or garlic infused olive oil instead of garlic. I eat a ridiculous amount of courgette spaghetti!

I found it's help reduce the cramping and bloating and also the amount of flare ups I have.

It's quite a daunting diet in the beginning but once i started feeling better, the hassle of food prep was worth it.

Good luck and I hope you don't have UC!

thank you! Ive been doing a ton of research, Im not missing the raw veggies as much as I thought I would. I have a "system" going right now eliminating things I eat. Ive switched from apples, to applesauce. eventually i will make my own, right now I get the healthy harvest ones from Motts.

its just a different mindset really that Im having to adjust to.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have UC too. I avoid dairy except occasional yogurt, hard cheeses. Watch the raw fruit & veggies, and avoid all processed/boxed/canned foods. It has helped me a lot, but everybody is different.
  • JennDoesKeto
    Options
    It looks like it is actually My gallbladder have appt scheduled with the surgeon friday.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just had mine out right after labor day. The surgery and recovery are not too bad.
  • JennDoesKeto
    Options
    I just had mine out right after labor day. The surgery and recovery are not too bad.

did they suggest anything pre surgery? like foods to eat/not eat? I haven't seen the surgeon yet and am super nervous that something will happen between now and then.
    How long was recovery?
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options

did they suggest anything pre surgery? like foods to eat/not eat? I haven't seen the surgeon yet and am super nervous that something will happen between now and then.
    How long was recovery?

Sorry to not reply sooner. I went in through the ER so they did not let me eat once I got there. Not that I wanted to actually, that was extremely painful and I also had waves of extreme nausea.

I understand the nervousness because I still have a food phobia about what I ate right before the attack started. I don't know that I am typical because I had one incident a year ago that lasted for a couple of hours and that was it until the big one.

Mine was infected fairly badly so they took it out that evening once the CT scan came back. They were very good throughout the whole process and let me know that I was not leaving and they had contacted the surgeons.