Working out and plateaus

Options
I am in need of some uplifting words today. Since January 2014 I've lost 75 pounds (SW:305 CW:231). For the past 2 months I have gained and lost the same 4 pounds over and over. It is really frustrating! I started working with a personal trainer twice a week and after three weeks, have only lost 2 pounds. I have been trying SO hard to break into the 220's and it seems impossible! I am eating between 1600-1700 calories per day and burning 600 calories from working out 2-3 times a week (according to my heart rate monitor).

Any suggestions? The good news is that I'm losing inches. In 3 weeks I've lost 1.5 inches from my waist and 1.5 inches from my belly/hips. Now I need the scale to start moving in a downward motion.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I am in need of some uplifting words today. Since January 2014 I've lost 75 pounds (SW:305 CW:231). For the past 2 months I have gained and lost the same 4 pounds over and over. It is really frustrating! I started working with a personal trainer twice a week and after three weeks, have only lost 2 pounds. I have been trying SO hard to break into the 220's and it seems impossible! I am eating between 1600-1700 calories per day and burning 600 calories from working out 2-3 times a week (according to my heart rate monitor).

Any suggestions? The good news is that I'm losing inches. In 3 weeks I've lost 1.5 inches from my waist and 1.5 inches from my belly/hips. Now I need the scale to start moving in a downward motion.

your losing inches. who cares about the scale? it's not like your going to be walking around carrying a scale with you
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    2 pounds in 3 weeks, plus several inches does not sound like a plateau to me! Don't focus so much on that scale, I've been hovering around the same weight for a while BUT I can wear clothes and sizes I wan't able to when I first reached that weight ... Keep trucking on the scale will catch up in due time! Plus when you change the intensity of your workouts sometimes your body responds by retaining water while your muscles repair, I think you should be happy with your results so far sounds like you're doing great!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    Have you shared your exact goals with your personal trainer? Do you feel he/she listens to you and works with you well? If so, you have made a lot of progress, so just keep at it.

Did your trainer also take initial body measurements for you? Very important to keep track of those because the scale is just ONE measure of fitness and it fluctuates daily.