Trail Walking Alone - Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• btoblake
    btoblake Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Go for it.

Required skills: Instincts about people. Ability to be rude. Willingness to leave if you feel uncomfortable, even if it's embarrassing or silly.

Note - If you or your friends describe you as a victim, please skip the solo exercise. Go check out Brazilian Jujitsu. It's a ton of fun.

Props -
    Take a sturdy, sizable object you're very comfortable using when you go for a walk. For me, this is often a maglite, a size or so smaller than the ones that make security guards feel better on long, lonely shifts. A sturdy walking stick would be a good choice in rougher territory. Visibility is important, the important goal is to appear to be the wrong person to bother, so you don't get bothered. Mace or a knife suits some people, but if you're likely to fumble or hesitate with them, choose something you can handle well.

Hiking boots that support your ankle well are your friend on bumpy ground. With good footwear, and dense socks, you may find it quite impossible to move your ankle in a way that'd twist. Note - If you're on a paved running path, you may prefer sneakers you can run well in instead.
    Earbuds that aren't playing anything are worth considering. They make it easy to dodge conversation while still exchanging polite hi waves with the other ladies going by.
    Water bottle - It rarely hurts, and when full, can be used to provide a little extra arm exercise.
    Cell Phone - Remember, cell phones do not solve urgent emergencies, they solve problems that stick around for a while. In an emergency, it's usually far faster and more efficient to get yourself away from a threat, or to the nearest helpful people. If you call for help, there's a guarantee it'll take time to get to you.

Make sure that the person who knows where you're going, when, would in fact check on you if you didn't come back promptly, and does walk your usual route at least once, so they wouldn't get lost if they came to save you from being lost.

Take your pleasant but disinterested attitude. Pleasant hi/wave exchanges from a distance with other walkers, particularly the ladies, will make you both feel comfortable, and will help you learn who's usually exercising at the same time you are. Be alert to who's around, but not alarmed. Give people space, and enjoy your own space.

If you're heading out of heavily traveled areas, adjust what you're carrying accordingly. A pack with water, snacks, first aid kit, astronaut blanket, etc is useful. Carrying more water can help you burn more calories.
  • shadowmail
    Options
    You shouldn't live life based on fear of what might (but might not) happen. You do have a smart phone, use it to make sure your path is being tracked and your friends can check it on their computer. Stay away from people on the trail. If you don't know them make them keep their distance. Find a tactical baton class and take it. There is even a small attachment that can turn it into a powerful flash light, (excuse to carry it) they are useful for any kind of problem, be it 2 legged or 4. Just be sure that you find good instruction about how to use it and stay within the law.
    Until you can do that, take along a can of hornet spray, better than pepper spray and keep everyone you meet at least 20 feet away from you.
  • bjabdullah
    bjabdullah Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Walking alone has it's pros and cons. I often walk alone and thank God it's been safe. I live on the desert and there are trails near my home. I sometimes use a walking stick for any critters, but I haven't needed it, thank God. The pro are you can clear you mind, meditate, observe beautiful natural surroundings and enjoy some solitude. The cons is the walks seem longer. Your boyfriend may be concerned with your safety, but, is he willing to walk with you? Don't accept any excuses not to move that body. You can do DVD' exercise at home, or on You Tube on line there a lots of exercise videos, or join a community center. The main thing is to create an action plan and make a commitment to do the best you can, even if other don't like it.
  • Luke_Luke_Luke
    Options
    I would have no problem with it. Just make sure
    - people know where you are
    - when you should be back
    - the route you intend to take
    - have a phone handy in case of emergencies

I always go trail running in the hills by myself and adhere to the above. We have no animals that can kill us (aside from spiders/snakes) and theres no threat from other people so dont take any knives or anything like that
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    40,000 people die in car crashes every year in the US. Are you going to stop driving or riding in vehicles? Better not swim, have any heat source in your home, walk outside when temps are below freezing, or eat hot dogs either.

The CDC says that in 2011:
    35,303 people died in motor vehicle crashes.
    27,483 from falls.
    11,068 criminal homicide by firearm.
    6,242 from suffocation.
    3,556 drowned.
    2,587 from being cut or stabbed.
    2,259 in residential fires.
    2,193 from environmental effects.
    2,170 from medical care.
    591 from unintentional shootings.
    454 legal homicide by firearm (police & citizens shooting criminals)
    16 from overexertion. (So I think we're safe exercising!) :D
    http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/index.html

Whereas for things that we might be able to do something about...
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm
    Heart disease: 596,577
    Cancer: 576,691
    Diabetes: 73,831
    Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,826
    Suicide: 39,518
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    People seem to be saying: "Don't live in fear", a lot. I would also add, don't be naïve or unprepared. I jog/hike fairly often on the local trails, and there are wild animals (mainly cougars routinely spotted). If you must go alone, then be smart. Bring water, and bring a dog if possible to scare off wild life, and/or something to defend yourself with for anything more dangerous. I'm a guy, and I still carry a hunting knife on me. You never know what or who you'll run in to, and when you're exhausted from pushing hard, it's good to have something that will make anything think twice about taking you on.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You take your life in your own hands when you hike alone. Animals, injuries, rapists......unless it was a very populated trail, I would not hike alone.

Remember that guy that hiked alone and a rock fell on him and he had to cut off his arm to free himself. Nuff said.

Covered in fear attitudes.

Aron Ralston wasn't trail hiking alone - he was doing some deep canyoneering - he was abseiling in a slot canyon and basically pulled a rock down on himself. This is like saying don't ride a bike because some guy died on a bike-assisted base jump in Bolivia.

As someone who both spends a lot of time outdoors and is a father of four daughters I hope my girls do not grow up to fear trail walking alone. Trail walking. Not a complicated hike. Not some strange dark adventure. Heck, I expect them to be able to hike, travel and climb in a prepared fashion.

Accidents do happen - being properly prepared is a necessity that might help in the downward spiral of poor decisions but living cut off from the world in a cocoon just sounds awful. Carry a phone, let someone know where you are going, if the walk warrants it carry water, food, a multi-tool and a first aid kit.

Enjoy the trail. Don't be a victim of your lifestyle.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I've gone trail running alone, though not at night... more afraid of animals (including skunks and rabid raccoons, lol) than of people though... but then again, I (was) in a generally safer area, where concerns about people being abducted weren't so strongly a threat. Look at the area you're in and how likely it is to happen there (and actually look at stats and for stories, don't just take people's words for it).

I also used to make sure I told someone (whether my family or SO) before heading out.

SO's always worry, they're like parents in that way :laugh: it's up to you to decide how real a risk it is though.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Dam on my last trail run I forgot my armed guards and 25 person support crew. How did I get through it alive!!

Err use some common sense and put things into proportion. I tell my wife my route carry a phone and wear a runners id. I don't have room for grenades or AK 47s
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So I have a few parks around my house that have some hiking trails that I'd love to walk. I was able to go to each of the parks once with a buddy, so I was able to see part of the lay out and it's just hilly - no cliffs or anything dangerous.

I'd love to keep going, but my boyfriend worries that I'll be going alone. I don't have a partner to take with me (I have off Thursdays and noone else is, and Sundays, in which the BF doesn't want to do any form of exercise - so I'm alone in most things I do fitness-wise). I currently go for walks/runs around the block from our house (well, I live with the BFs family), but I want to change up the pace every now and then.

I'd love to hear people's opinions - would/have you gone alone for something like that? What can I say to the BF to help ease his mind?

Please, please, please don't do this! It isn't an issue of injuring yourself (though this is a possibility). It is extremely common for there to be rapes and murders on trails that don't get well publicized. This has been the case everywhere I have lived.

While it's unlikely to happen, it is far more likely to happen if you're alone.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Dam on my last trail run I forgot my armed guards and 25 person support crew. How did I get through it alive!!

Err use some common sense and put things into proportion. I tell my wife my route carry a phone and wear a runners id. I don't have room for grenades or AK 47s

Here's some proportion: There was a man raping and murdering (serial rapist/killer) women on the bike trails around Buffalo, NY, for 25 years. The universities somehow convinced the press to keep quiet about it because they didn't want people to be afraid to send their kids there. And when he was finally caught, it was barely a blip on the local news and didn't make national news.

Then when I first moved to where I live now, I turned on the local news one morning and there was a quick story about several women being raped on hiking trails in the area (all of them were alone). The guy hadn't been caught and I never heard another word about it. And just recently, two people were beaten to death on a local walking trail.

You don't need armed guards, but you're in a secluded area with not a lot of people around. Common sense is to not go alone.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

Here's some proportion: There was a man raping and murdering (serial rapist/killer) women on the bike trails around Buffalo, NY, for 25 years. The universities somehow convinced the press to keep quiet about it because they didn't want people to be afraid to send their kids there. And when he was finally caught, it was barely a blip on the local news and didn't make national news.

Then when I first moved to where I live now, I turned on the local news one morning and there was a quick story about several women being raped on hiking trails in the area (all of them were alone). The guy hadn't been caught and I never heard another word about it. And just recently, two people were beaten to death on a local walking trail.

You don't need armed guards, but you're in a secluded area with not a lot of people around. Common sense is to not go alone.

No common sense is to go aware, if you think about all that crap all the time, you'd be lucky to leave the house. Now as a youngish/middle age... (Aww feck when did that happen!) guy I realise the risk isn't anywhere as high for myself, nor so my location. However I go trail running every week without company. I'd love to take my dogs along, but they simply wouldn't keep up.

Be aware, be smart about the risks you do take, but don't let the fear of what could happen rule all your decisions!!!
  • rml_16
    Options

No common sense is to go aware, if you think about all that crap all the time, you'd be lucky to leave the house. Now as a youngish/middle age... (Aww feck when did that happen!) guy I realise the risk isn't anywhere as high for myself, nor so my location. However I go trail running every week without company. I'd love to take my dogs along, but they simply wouldn't keep up.

Be aware, be smart about the risks you do take, but don't let the fear of what could happen rule all your decisions!!!
    I leave the hose plenty. If I'm alone, I stick to sidewalks on busy streets. If I'm with a friend, we might go to a trail (if we're in the mood). It isn't about being afraid all the time. It's about using common sense.

Be as aware as you like, but when it's you (a woman) alone on a trail with a man who wants to hurt you, you're unlikely to walk away from that encounter unscathed.

There are plenty of options for outdoor exercise when you're alone that don't involve going somewhere like that.This happens a lot more than people realize. I'm realistic, not scared to the point of never leaving the house.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

I leave the hose plenty. If I'm alone, I stick to sidewalks on busy streets. If I'm with a friend, we might go to a trail (if we're in the mood). It isn't about being afraid all the time. It's about using common sense.

Be as aware as you like, but when it's you (a woman) alone on a trail with a man who wants to hurt you, you're unlikely to walk away from that encounter unscathed.

There are plenty of options for outdoor exercise when you're alone that don't involve going somewhere like that.This happens a lot more than people realize. I'm realistic, not scared to the point of never leaving the house.

Contrary to popular belief rape occurs ~8x more often in the victim's home than anywhere outside. (see pg 5)

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Similarities_And_Differences_In_Women_s_Sexual_Assault_Experiences_Based_On_Tactics.pdf
  • rml_16
    Options

Contrary to popular belief rape occurs ~8x more often in the victim's home than anywhere outside. (see pg 5)

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Similarities_And_Differences_In_Women_s_Sexual_Assault_Experiences_Based_On_Tactics.pdf

That's fine. But I still know there was a serial rapist and murderer prowling the bike trails around Buffalo (where I lived for many years) for a quarter century and one on the trails where I live now (as far as I know, still at large). So I will lock my doors in my house and only go on trails when I'm with other people. It's common sense. I use it. If other women want to take their chances, they're welcome to.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

That's fine. But I still know there was a serial rapist and murderer prowling the bike trails around Buffalo (where I lived for many years) for a quarter century and one on the trails where I live now (as far as I know, still at large). So I will lock my doors in my house and only go on trails when I'm with other people. It's common sense. I use it. If other women want to take their chances, they're welcome to.

Apparently the guy in Buffalo attacked 15-20 people over that period of 25 years? (And it did make national news - at least I was aware of it because "bike trail") and he was caught.

Given that actual risk - "common sense" says you have an actual higher risk of choking on food or having a heart attack at home. "Common sense" would suggest keeping a defibrillator at home.

Each year, there are an estimated 1500 rapes in Spain and 85000 rapes in the US (wait - I'm not comparing) do you think I should allow my daughter to travel to either country alone? (Knowing that most rape are from acquaintances, friends or former partners...)?

Risk perception and what is considered preventable is a funny thing.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    So I have a few parks around my house that have some hiking trails that I'd love to walk. I was able to go to each of the parks once with a buddy, so I was able to see part of the lay out and it's just hilly - no cliffs or anything dangerous.

I'd love to keep going, but my boyfriend worries that I'll be going alone. I don't have a partner to take with me (I have off Thursdays and noone else is, and Sundays, in which the BF doesn't want to do any form of exercise - so I'm alone in most things I do fitness-wise). I currently go for walks/runs around the block from our house (well, I live with the BFs family), but I want to change up the pace every now and then.

I'd love to hear people's opinions - would/have you gone alone for something like that? What can I say to the BF to help ease his mind?

Please, please, please don't do this! It isn't an issue of injuring yourself (though this is a possibility). It is extremely common for there to be rapes and murders on trails that don't get well publicized. This has been the case everywhere I have lived.

It's ridiculously FAR more likely to happen inside your house.

Now there are crime variations based on the areas you live in. I expect that any woman has a sense of her personal safety in the areas she frequently travels.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I get the concern as there are a couple trails by my house that make me a bit wary (near sketchy areas) but I'm also determined not to skip out on stuff due to nerves. Realistically, anything could happen at any time - if someone is crazy enough to attack you in broad daylight it may not matter who's around. When I go alone, I make sure my cell phone is on me (either arm band or a secure pocket), wear my RoadID bracelet and make sure I have water on me. While I don't always know 100% which route I'll go, I do make sure I give Hubs an approximate time of when I'll be returning home. IMHO, besides being prepared that way, the most important thing is to keep your head up and be aware of your surroundings (other people, noises, etc) and keep on trucking.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

But still very very very unlikely. Let's be honest.

:noway:
  • bambi2578
    bambi2578 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't think I'd get this many people talking about my little topic!

I think his main issue is that he's lived in the area his whole life, and I've only just moved here a month or so ago. I'm still learning the area and don't know much about NJ life. I've been to each of the parks twice, and I have maps, so I know them to the best that I can so far.

I'd love to take him with me, but he's never here - he's away for school, and I see him maybe 2 times a month. Sundays are the only chance I'd have, and I know he doesn't like to go.

For those of you who think I'm victim in my own home - he does not have control over me. If I want to go, I'm going to go. I just wanted other people's opinions on the subject so that I can put my BF mind at ease. It seems many people are on both sides of the fence and I'm trying to weigh both options on how to show him I'm not going to get hurt or raped or be a statistic.

Thank you to all who've answered the question!