For My Fellow Treadmill Warriors!

Options
Hey guys! I've been relying on some heavy time on the treadmill at the gym (in Florida so the more walking indoors, the better). I have a Fitbit and am always trying to reach my step goal for the day, and exceed it whenever I can.

I was on for about 45 minutes today and thought to myself...will this be a sustainable habit? How long will it be before this just gets too...boring?
Sometimes if I'm really lucky I'll get a great book on audio that can keep me walking for about 45 minutes without it feeling like an eternity, or bringing a tablet along and watching an episode on netflix.

Soooo...what do you guys do on the treadmill to keep things interesting?
Also, if anybody is looking for a fitbit buddy feel free to message me and I'll add you!

Thanks for reading, happy stepping, have a great one!!!

-Stephanie <3

Replies

• ssjones999
    ssjones999 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew.....Dreadmill in my book!! Good luck. I read still gets rough.
  • Sweet_Lady_4
    Sweet_Lady_4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Haha Dreadmill! Love it!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that the only thing that helps me with the treadmill is to skip it altogether. The only things that drive me to the mill are lightning and ice.... if I absolutely have to use it, I just throw a towel over the screen, put on my iPod and just go.... I can't watch movies or read or watch TV... they just remind me that I'm not outside...and I play non-stop with the speed and the incline...
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Well, I'd be lost without my iPod. I find that when I do one of the programmed workouts, where the speed and incline vary every minute or so, it's less boring. I'd much rather be walking outside, though.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i do a combination of outdoor, track and treadmill for walking and running.

i basically use the treadmill for workouts i want to control the speed and incline and i like doing intervals to take my mind off the treadmill. here are just 2 examples

1. walking intervals : turn the speed up to 4.6- 4.9 and the incline to 6 or higher. walk without using handrails for 15 seconds and rest on with feet on the sides for 15 seconds. do this for 20-30 minutes

2. running intervals : walk for 1 minute on 3.7, run for 30 seconds on 6.5-75 (vary the speed each running segment). do this for 20-30 minutes

other options i do are intervals involving both hills and speed. but i never sprint on the treadmill because that's just asking to fall on my face :laugh:
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I walk/jog backwards and side ways. I saw others at the gym doing this because it works other muscles. Start off slow or you might slip.

Interesting, I will have to try this out!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I watch tv on DVD, only shows I really love so I look forward to doing it.

(I have to cover the time because otherwise it drags for me.)

Currently I am watching Sex and the City. I am almost done with the 5th season and I ONLY let myself watch it while I walk.

Next up is M*A*S*H!!

*edit: I prefer the treadmill to outside walking because I can better control my pace and also because there is no uneven terrain :noway:
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Running is for criminals but if it must be done, it should only be done outdoors. What am I, a hamster?
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Listen to my music or watch tv. Vary the routine - the workout programs. I also use the elliptical and I walk at work
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    tv shopping channels while listening to good music! anything on my dvr. getting some miles outside and finishing indoors. gathering fitbit friends for friendly 7-day step-total rankings (that's really fun if you're competitive!) whatever it takes....I just do it :D:flowerforyou:
    Hey guys! I've been relying on some heavy time on the treadmill at the gym (in Florida so the more walking indoors, the better). I have a Fitbit and am always trying to reach my step goal for the day, and exceed it whenever I can.

I was on for about 45 minutes today and thought to myself...will this be a sustainable habit? How long will it be before this just gets too...boring?
    Sometimes if I'm really lucky I'll get a great book on audio that can keep me walking for about 45 minutes without it feeling like an eternity, or bringing a tablet along and watching an episode on netflix.

Soooo...what do you guys do on the treadmill to keep things interesting?
    Also, if anybody is looking for a fitbit buddy feel free to message me and I'll add you!

Thanks for reading, happy stepping, have a great one!!!

-Stephanie <3
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am from Florida too and thank God for my treadmill! All I need to do to not get boared is go run outside! As I now I am breaking the poor thing down.
  • schulersam
    schulersam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Are there cardio classes at your gym? I vary aerobics, kickboxing, spin, zumba, treadmill, eliptical, rowing machine, stairclimber, weights, step....what ever is going . Burn calories in a variety of ways to keep the interest up. I live in Trinidad and run outside very early in the morning (It is still hot)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I get by with multitasking via a home treadmill desk. See my blog entry for details:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/coolraul07/view/wtf-is-a-deskmill-694152
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    best thing you can do is take it outside. tm are great to start and to use if its really really crappy out. trust me i know running in weather extreems can be hard but thats part of the challenge. you and your body will adapt. take water, dress appropriately, try to go early or later in the evening....... you will never look back :)
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I find that doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) works better for me and i don't have to spend half the time on running. I hate treadmills. :yawn:
  • loralye211
    loralye211 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing: treadmill and fitbit. Loooove my new fitbit and it came in handy on vacation where I didn't have my beloved treadmill to tell me how many calories I burned from jogging.

For me, I have to be TOTALLY distracted in order to spend any length of time on the treadmill, especially for jogging. Netflix and YouTube have been my best friends to get through my morning workout. If you have an iPad or tablet, this could help keep it from getting so bored with it you can't do another treadmill mile. I've also found that when I start to get bored or complacent, I either switch up my treadmill routine (I do HIIT) or I put on a workout video. That helps stave off a plateau too.

Working out on the treadmill IS a sustainable habit. Your endurance will increase and you'll be able to increase the speed you do, which will keep it a little interesting than doing the same thing every day. Since you're going to the gym, check out the elliptical machines. Those really work you out!

Good luck!
  • bluehenjen
    bluehenjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Intervals are the only thing that keep me from being acutely aware of how slowly time is passing on the treadmill. I also listen to podcasts and language CDs (I'm trying to learn Hungarian).
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    couch 2 5k
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I download movies onto my tablet and watch them while I work out. I've thought about reading too, but so far it's just been movies....
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Movies - I only watch them on the treadmill or elliptical. It's my one and only motivator for exercise right now