I'm still a fan of rice...

Options
2»

Replies

• funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Toast your brown rice (dry or oil/butter) before you boil it. Holy flavor-elevating pants Batman.

are you serious cause I am going to try that :tongue:
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    Dead serious. It's heavenly. You can even stir a whole garlic clove around in there (or ginger chunk or lemongrass) to add flavour. Usually I just go purist. Olive oil to toast and olive oil or butter and salt to finish.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Same toasty gig with steel cut oats, btw. So amazing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    OMG, I want sushi so bad now...

Anyhow, we all know this meme, naturally... but... but... why did someone decide to instead use this caption on a DUCK???

5935a4c638e5b7452d3ff9538acf9b087d77a1aacfc4ea5ea610ceef430721e9.jpg
    Bwahahaha! I love this!!!!!! And rice too!!!!!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Dead serious. It's heavenly. You can even stir a whole garlic clove around in there (or ginger chunk or lemongrass) to add flavour. Usually I just go purist. Olive oil to toast and olive oil or butter and salt to finish.
    Then throw some over easy eggs on it. Along with some longinisa.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Anyhow, we all know this meme, naturally... but... but... why did someone decide to instead use this caption on a DUCK???

IDEA Fitness member

:flowerforyou: For those who read this and get riled up, it's sarcasm :flowerforyou:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

196t5u.jpg
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

Huh... I was taught how to cook rice like that... I always thought that the normal way to cook it. :smile: I usually put a mix of chopped garlic, tomato, bell pepper and onion.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

That's how to start a risotto btw :) Sautee some diced onion, a little garlic, then add your rice to it for a couplefew minutes. I have no idea why so few people make regular rice this way...it's fantastic.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Then throw some over easy eggs on it. Along with some longinisa.

IDEA Fitness member

Huh... I was taught how to cook rice like that... I always thought that the normal way to cook it. :smile: I usually put a mix of chopped garlic, tomato, bell pepper and onion.

That's how to start a risotto btw :) Sautee some diced onion, a little garlic, then add your rice to it for a couplefew minutes. I have no idea why so few people make regular rice this way...it's fantastic.
    Yum. And all that is dinner sorted for my weekend.

Hmmm...will long grain or brown work for risotto, or are they not starchy enough? One of the few things I've not attempted to make yet, but recently saw a recipe for Arancini which calls for cold risotto.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

It also sounds like the way to begin spanish rice. After the rice is golden, and is cooked with the clove and onion you add tomato sauce, cover, and then let it absorb.

Of course, it's been years since I've made spanish rice.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yum. And all that is dinner sorted for my weekend.

Hmmm...will long grain or brown work for risotto, or are they not starchy enough? One of the few things I've not attempted to make yet, but recently saw a recipe for Arancini which calls for cold risotto.

You definitely need a super starchy rice for risotto, sorry :( It's not hard to find (Arborio rice is the usual one for risotto) and really not hard to make, since I'm a horrible cook and my risotto is always delicious :)