HOW TO EAT HEALTHY AT A MEXICAN RESTAURANT!!!

Options
Is this even possible? Tomorrow is my mom's birthday and we are going for Mexican. Any suggestions on what/how to order?

Replies

• MNSchulz88
    Options
    Cerviche is a good option.
  • barronsm43
    barronsm43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Order a chicken fajita salad, season it with pico de gallo or salsa and no other dressing, tell them no cheese or sour cream, but a little guacamole should be okay. If it comes in a fried shell don't eat it. If you want a tortilla, a steamed corn tortilla would be pretty healthy. Order water with lots of lemon, and eat this not too late in the day…if possible. A little bowl of gaucho beans is healthy, too. Enjoy!
  • kelseyann92
    kelseyann92 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks you two! I was thinking of a shrimp or fish salad or something along those lines :)
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    camarones de ajo
    Bisteca
    Chile verde
    Piscado

All basic Mexican dishes that are typically made from whole foods in a real Mexican restaurant. Just like at home be mindful of portion size and watch the chips and tortillas.
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    A bowl of Chile Colorado ( Red Chile) Eat with a spoon no tortillas ... Limit yourself to 10-12 tortilla chips with Salsa( the hardest thing to do) and drink Water or unsweetened tea .... Healthy, and Red Chile is good for your system..

of course you can have a little more chips and salsa if it fits into your Daily calorie deficit and your macros
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do not think it is possible, free chips and salsa.
  • kelseyann92
    kelseyann92 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I do not think it is possible, free chips and salsa.

YES
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Every Time this question comes up I wonder why people don't think of fajitas.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    or for one meal, it's not a big deal to go over a calorie limit. You're not going to gain weight for a one day indulgence.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Is this even possible? Tomorrow is my mom's birthday and we are going for Mexican. Any suggestions on what/how to order?
    Why not just enjoy your mums Birthday and not worry too much. One meal wont destroy your progress. Then the following day just carry on as normal. You're not going to suddenly put your 42 pounds back on because of one night. Enjoy yourself
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    th?id=HN.608011316045680274&pid=1.7
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Every Time this question comes up I wonder why people don't think of fajitas.
    Duh. Although the Mexican place by my house does a great house version of fajitas with bacon-wrapped shrimp smothered in cheese. Fantastic and worth every stinkin' calorie.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'M ASSUMING YOU WANT LOW CALORIES SO ORDER THE FAJITAS AND DON'T GO OVERBOARD ON THE TORTILLAS AND CHIPS, ALSO NO SOUR CREAM
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Depends...are you talking about traditional "real" Mexican? If so, it's really pretty easy...traditional Mexican food is very healthful. If you're talking about the basterdized, Americanized version of "Mexican" food... that has everything drenched in a pound of cheese and cooked in tons of lard then good luck.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about one meal myself...but if I were trying to keep my calories down I'd probably opt for chicken fajitas and only eat about half the order...I can easily split a half order of fajitas with my wife at most restaurants I've eaten and be completely satisfied.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Eat anything you want. It's one meal and it's not gonna kill your progress. Eat right during the day, like you usually do, and for your mom's dinner eat WHATEVER. Seriously. Enjoy the party. Get some frijoles and arroz and carne asada, some ceviche, some pollo con mole, chile relleno, menudo, pozole... chips and salsa, aguacate, sour cream. (Don't order everything I just wrote. Choose something from the list. LOL!) Don't deny yourself some food. ENJOY IT!! :bigsmile:

Ok, how about this. Since usually the plates of food are big, eat half and save the other half of whatever you order.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    th?id=HN.608011316045680274&pid=1.7
    Yes this ^

Maw on a pile of chips and salsa.
    Wash it down with beer.
    Eat more chips and salsa.
    Wash it down with beer.
    Keep doing this until you get bored or have to get up and pee.

Wait. What was the goal again???
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I usually go with shrimp or fish tacos, if the fish is grilled. Fajitas are good too.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would workout hard in the morning before I went, then adjust the week. Obviously, follow moderation, because it's the greatest. One day won't hurt.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I get chicken/veg fajitas, b/c I can (somewhat) control what goes into them. I skip the sour cream. I give the rice/most of the beans that come with to my kids. I use mostly salsa and a little guac on the fajitas. I also never let the husband get a second basket of chips.
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Baja style Mexican food, I eat pretty often.
    I also avoid fried or creamy dishes.

73529108.png