Do you eat back your exercise calories?

Options
Hi all,
Do you regularly eat back a portion of your exercise calories?
If yes, then how much can you eat back and still achieve weight loss?
Thanks !

Replies

• IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat back between 50%-100% of them depending on how hungry I am that day.

73529108.png
  • Rachinator92
    Rachinator92 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I eat what MFP tells me to! If you add your exercise to your diary it generally adds it into the calories that you're supposed to eat. So I'm assuming that you are supposed to eat your exercise calories. :)
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Some of them. It's a nice reward for getting my butt out there in the 100 degrees and doing something.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Not all of them. I account for error in my burn and what I eat. So if I burned 400 calories and mpf says I can eat an additional 400, I only eat 200.
  • arrielle10
    Options
    I will sometimes eat some of them. Sometimes I do not eat any of them. I have never eaten all of them. I personally try to burn between 300 and 500 calories a day. To me, I see it as extra weight loss. Everyone is different though. I have a lot of weight to loss and am trying to get it off quickly.
  • MrsWashington82
    MrsWashington82 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If I do 60 min cardio I eat back half. If I do 30 I don't eat back any and it works for me.
  • sassabella
    Options
    Not always, if I do eat them back a bit sometimes, I don't freak out too much.
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It depends, I work a pretty active job, so if I have a day where I work an 8 hour shift, and also happen to do a walk. run, zumba, whatever, I'll eat back somewhere between 50-100% of those calories. I basically just judge by if I'm extra hungry.

If it's a day where I'm off, and other than a short workout, I've been pretty lazy, I'll probably eat back more like 0-30%.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely! If I am hungry. And I'm pretty much always hungry! Especially as you get close to your goal you will need to. First because it gives you more to eat, and second to help you back into maintenance.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I don't unless I have a massive calorie burn day that makes me extra hungry - then I eat back some of them.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Do you regularly eat back a portion of your exercise calories?
    If yes, then how much can you eat back and still achieve weight loss?
    Thanks !

I use a heart rate monitor and eat back all of them most of the time.It hasn't effected my weight loss in any way
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat all the exercise calories. On days when I do a long bike run oddly enough I'm not always super hungry.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 50% or so of my exercise calories to account for inflated estimations.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I eat somewhere between half and all of them back. I'm on a pretty low calorie goal though (1200) so eating back some helps me keep to that goal. I also tend to lowball my exercise calories because I think MFP calculates them too high for a lot of activities.
  • Skout528
    Skout528 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The advice from a personal trainer and physical therapist were to NOT eat back what MFP recommended because it was much too high. At first I was eating them back, but now I will not. I am just starting to work out regularly and it makes me proud to not eat them back.
  • david2831g78
    david2831g78 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do most of the time and after 11 weeks, I avg 2.5 lbs down a week.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I don't add my exercise so I am not tempted to eat the calories back.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yep I eat back roughly 85% of my calories burned through exercise leaving 15% for error in calculations and lost weight... I am a firm believer that you must fuel your body for the workout you are demanding of it to do....... Best of Luck
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I usually do eat a good chunk of mine back - I find that with some of my intense workouts I do get much hungrier! I've been steadily dropping about a pound a week (which is what MFP has been estimating), so I figure I'm good. ;)

Of course, everyone is different.