Need help finding a dress for my body shape, help!

Options
My brother's wedding is coming up in a month and I am getting very nervous about finding a dress. I haven't worn a dress in probably 15 years, maybe even 20. I started MFP back in April and have lost 75lbs. I'm still a big girl at size 22/24 and have a lot more to lose. I was excited to go shopping at regular department stores for the first time in eons and was able to try on several dresses. They all looked awful due to my larger belly and hips, which I can't seem to hide. If I get a dress to fit my bottom half, then the top half is way too big and of course dresses that look awesome from the waist up look horrid below. I've looked into shapewear, but they're all so different and I am having trouble finding options in my size.

I really need to figure something out quickly, but having not shopped for clothes in a very long time, I feel completely overwhelmed and don't know where to look or what to look for. If anyone has any tips, I would appreciate it.

Replies

• lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Ugh I have huge hips too!
    First tip is spanx! They'll bring you more in to proportion and, of course, make you look slimmer. If you're not comfortable in tight fitting clothes then go for something that is fitted around the bust and then flows down. I always add a chunky belt right under my bust and then a loose open front jacket or cardigan.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Here's an image of a dress that looks like what lemonsurprise described, however I'm sure you don't want white!

cheap-plus-size-bridesmaid-dresses.jpg

How do I size this???
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    If you need to camouflage belly and hips, an empire line should be flattering. This means that the dress is form fitting just under the bust where you are narrow, but tapers outwards from there. Some interest around the neckline will also draw attention upwards.

Length is also important too. For most women, a hemline that stops an inch or so above the knee is flattering, as it stops at the slimmest part of the thigh.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    If there is a big size discrepency between your upper and lower body, also consider having a dress taken in by a local seamstress. Your dry cleaner should be able to recommend somebody.

An alternative to a dress is a suit. This will be a lot more expensive than a dress though, especially as you will need to get it in a light color for it not to look too businesslike for a wedding.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wrap dresses, fit & flare and a line are universally flattering

also i wouldnt even worry about trying to camouflage big hips, butt, etc usually the camouflage in larger sizes makes it look worse. for instance empire waists.. very few people can pull those off without looking bigger than they are, even for people who are optimal weight
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Empire waist, or A-Line. They both accent the bust and are designed to "grace" the lower body. Buy something that has more business up top (details on the neck line or bodice, lighter color up top, bold neck/ear jelwery, etc.) to draw the eye UP.

BRING A TRUSTED FRIEND SHOPPING WITH YOU. We tend to be WAAAAAAAAY overcritical of our own body due to our insecurities. You might be noticing a fold or bump that no one else will even register with your beautiful dress, dashing smile, your striking hair-do, and/or dazzling jewelry.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Like they said empire waist does wonders for the stomach but embrace the hips some of us have boy hips after all. An interesting necklace that lands the top of the centerpiece or dangly thing whatever just below or on your collar bone will draw eyes up.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm pear-shaped, and the discrepancy between my waist and hips has only gotten bigger as I've lost weight (currently sitting at a 13" difference).

A-line, wrap dresses, and empire waist dresses will likely be your best bet. They'll camoflauge your tummy, but it will still be obvious that your bottom half is bigger. There's really no way around it.

I've also got a couple weddings to go to, and while I found one floor length dress that works for the rather formal wedding I need to go to, I had to buy and have another dress taken in. It's has an empire waist, but I wear a size 12 on the bottom and a 6/8 on the top now, so that kind of make dresses problematic, so I bought one that fit my bottom half, and the top half is being taken in.

I'm not sure where you're from, but when I was shopping for dresses and was still around the 200lb mark, Ricki's was a fantastic place to find them.

If you aren't willing to have a dress taken in, wrap is your best bet.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    My number one suggestion would be an adjustable wrap dress -- they naturally have v-necks which is generally slimming. Plus, since they're adjustable, you have the ability to control where on your waist it sits and how tight. They can be tied higher waisted so it's more of an empire waist without squeezing the bust too much making it look like maternity wear (the trouble with all empire waist dresses) or lower if that's your preference. You just have to avoid clinging fabric (one of my favorites is made from really fine merino wool). Also, go with something with a pattern -- a nice floral is good for a wedding -- or slimming color blocking to help hide trouble areas.
  • pamalama2001
    pamalama2001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Two brands I've always had luck with are IGIGI and Kyonna. IGIGI has a shape calculator that then helps you figure out the most flattering cuts of clothes. Kyonna shows pictures of real customers in real sizes so you can see how a dress fits a real person. I've always ordered online, but these will give you some ideas.

http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clothing/Dresses.html
    http://www.igigi.com/igigiscustom/shape/landing/
  • pamalama2001
    pamalama2001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here's another link that's a pretty accurate, inclusive list of plus size clothes providers.

http://www.elegantplus.com/Plus-Size-Clothing-Mall/artsy-plus-size-clothing.htm
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'd try a faux wrap dress. I was initially skeptical about them but after trying a few on, I found that they were flattering even with a bigger stomach.

If you are smaller on top, I'd avoid empire waistlines.They can be very maternity looking, in my experience.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's best to take inspiration from larger women fashion blogs. Plus size models are size 16 at most and well.. they may be larger but are still airbrushed photoshopped larger version of a particular shape.

Here is an example list with more to be found on the internet:
    http://theplussideofme.com/2013/02/27/20-plus-size-fashion-bloggers-at-sizes-24/

As for shapewear, I have a very defined waist but large hips and a belly that sticks above and below my belly button. I found that, for me, separates with bottoms that end at the belly button work better. Those high waisted ones tend to make me look like a uniform, albeit smaller, ball of fat whereas separates tend to sinch me in at all the right places making me look like I barely have any fat in the middle area. See where your waist tends to look the smallest and have your shapewear bottoms end there.
  • annietud
    annietud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wrap dresses are great for a multitude of sins. The lines the ties create hide a tummy. Take a look at your shoulders a wider strapped dress can balance out, out of balance shape. Enhance your top half to draw the eyes to your vava boom. Get my hubby every time.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add a +1 to all the wrap dress or faux wrap dress suggestions. Every time I try on dresses, they are the ones that look the best!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    A wrap dress would look great! You can also consider an empire waist; one that starts up near your ribcage or chest, and flows out, and pair that with a jacket or wrap. But all and all; don't worry about how you look. Buy a dress you think is pretty, and focus on having fun at the wedding! Don't stress too much. :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    An A-line dress is everyone's friend. You're not going to look like a size 2. You just need something flattering and fitting to your size and shape.