How do you crush those late night cravings?

Options
I often find myself standing in front of the fridge wondering what I should snack on. Fortunately there is not much in there that would REALLY tempt me ( things like left over pizza, a cheesecake, ice cream, etc...) , but I could easily eat beyond my goal if I succumbed to the temptation.

And what do all ya'll munch on at night if your that type?

P.S, Don't give me any of that "don't eat after 8pm" crap. I'm full of my own misguided diet ideas, I don’t need yours too. :bigsmile:

Replies

• she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    I'm usually craving something sweet/crunchy so I have an apple with pb2 or some popcorn.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    low/no cal drinks, water, coffee, diet pop
    pickles
    pickled peppers
    low cal yogurt
  • ZulyPastor95
    Options
    I usually just tell myself remember you're trying to lose weight not gain more and that pretty much workouts for me. If not I would just look for those snacks that are only 100 calories. Or if I did sometimes decide hey I want that piece of pizza or chocolate I would add it to the calories for the next day so I would have to eat less the next day.
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I just ate a small cucumber and washed it down with ice water. MMMM.
    lol
    Usually a Wasa brand cracker and some cheese or eggplant spread is good. Those crackers have 20 calories each for some of their flavors.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I usually save a decent chunk of my calories for late night snacks. My go to is ice cream.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    4 oz grilled chicken breast
    An ounce of Homemade mozzarella cheese
    12 almonds
    1/2 sweet yellow bell pepper
    Pickled cucumbers w/ onion
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I kicked the habit, but on occasion just want to snack. I don't eat for three hours before I sleep, though.

My favorite is the white, hard, crunchy part of lettuce with scoops of salsa. Sometimes I get the shredded lettuce and eat little bits of that like chips - sometimes with salsa there, too, but it's more dipping the shreds in. Lettuce + salsa = next to no calories.

Other times, fruit is good.

Once in a blue moon, I'll have toast.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    4 oz grilled chicken breast
    An ounce of Homemade mozzarella cheese
    12 almonds
    1/2 sweet yellow bell pepper
    Pickled cucumbers w/ onion
    Homemade mozzarella. Damn impressive.
  • cocoa4life
    Options
    Change your focus. Get busy doing something you love late at night. ... A puzzle, reading a book, .. dance in your living room?
    The cravings are your body adjusting to the new you and it takes a while to adjust... so put your mind somewhere else.
    I'm guessing you were probably in front of the TV and a food ad came on and away the subliminal messages went and before you know it you think you're hungry.

Have been on quite a journey. It started with health which subsequently resulted in weight loss. Now I sleep better, am a healthy weight for my height, have more energy and my state of mind is transformed.

I've tried many things in the past, but the only way I had reduced my weight to this level in the past was effectively starving myself. In your 20's this might seem to work. But now have a family to think of and so the healthy way is the only way.

There are so many knock on effects from being healthy my life now is transformed.

Would love to share my tips and any resources that I've found helpful along the way.

Don't underestimate the factor of state of mind when considering the need to lose weight. If you're over weight it's obvious you need to eat healthy and get active. WE all know refined sugar is and and we should drink more water, but there is a state of mind that prevents or hinders us from just sticking to those two things alone...

That could be the inherent feeling of self worth. The feeling you don't deserve to be thin, happy, successful...

Conquer this and I reckon you'll achieve a lot more than just weight loss!
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I also save a pretty big chunk of calories for the evening hours. lately all I've been eating is egg white omelets with cheese and salsa, wheat thins, fiber one brownies or cheddar pretzel thins. I never get sick of egg whites though lol you can eat a pretty good amount for 50-75 calories
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    pickles
    pickled peppers
    Been hitting those pretty hard last few days. Good "fridge grazing" fare.
    eggplant spread is good.
    Heck yeah, baba ghanoush. Forgot about that one! Good stuff.
    I usually just tell myself remember you're trying to lose weight not gain more and that pretty much workouts for me.
    Yeah, willpower, plain and simple. That's what ends up getting me out of the kitchen.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I give into them. Other times, like tonight, I go to bed early and tell myself I'll get up earlier in the morning to do some exercising (the getting up early part usually only happens about 30 % of the time though lol). Goodnight all!!
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think the answer will be different for everyone but here are a few things:
    1) dont eat after 8pm crap really isnt crap. after you make it 3-4 days and find out you live (I have acted like a cage animal going thru withdrawals so I am not saying its easy for everyone
    2) Veggies- carrots, celery Cukes ... just eat eat eat
    3) frozen pineapple chunks curb my sweet tooth
  • melly0907
    melly0907 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hot cup of tea works for me every time !
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    for what its worth the more often you say screw it, close the door and walk away, the easier it get so to not even open it...... its hard but it does get easier, its habit and generally you probably arent even hungry... been there, many times. its such a hard habit to break and such an easy one to pick up again lol
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I think the answer will be different for everyone but here are a few things:
    1) dont eat after 8pm crap really isnt crap. after you make it 3-4 days and find out you live (I have acted like a cage animal going thru withdrawals so I am not saying its easy for everyone
    2) Veggies- carrots, celery Cukes ... just eat eat eat
    3) frozen pineapple chunks curb my sweet tooth

I think he was referring to people that go, "OMG eating after 8pm makes you instantly store fat, don't do iiiiiit!" Not that not doing it isn't possible.

I mean I cooooould not eat after 8pm. But I train at night and love my snacks. It's what has made this sustainable for me. I tend to eat less in the day and more in the evenings. It's whatever works for you for overall sustainability
  • wamk40
    Options
    You sound like me! I go for boiled eggs. Top them with something like melted cheese and salsa.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, yogurt (half and half) with pineapple chunks or wheat toast with some nut butter. Combos of slow digesting protein and satiating good fats make you feel full and happy. It probably is true that one should not eat within so many hours of bed, but I almost always eat close to bedtime, all while I lost 75lbs and got in the best shape of my life. Go figure.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hot cup of tea works for me every time !
    Good one. I used to drink tea at night all hte time. I'm a coffee fiend, so a hot drink at night is a good substitute.
    I think I'll start that again. Plus making it is a good fiddling time waster.
    You sound like me! I go for boiled eggs. Top them with something like melted cheese and salsa.
    Perfect timing. I just returned from the kitchen after putting a dozen eggs on to boil. :smile: