Interesting new study on "food addiction"

Options

Replies

• violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    all addictions are a lack of self control. Which is by definition the truth. Have no will power to stop yourself from doing something. Calling them diseases annoys me. You may truly be unable to control yourself, and that's fine. That is a problem that needs help. But calling it a disease just seems insulting to people who have medical diseases.

Well disease needs to be better defined as well doesn't it? But certain individuals are susceptible to developing diabetes - a "disease" affecting the way the body manages blood sugar. Others are vulnerable to developing cancer - a "disease" causing normal cells to replicate without "control." I hear what you are saying in that those "physical diseases" are more "real." But the field of mental health which includes addiction, is breaking open right now and discovering new causes for what used to be "in the head" issues. Bacteria, viruses, auto- immune issues, gut inflammation and dysregulated biomes... are all now considered to be potential triggers for disordered neurotransmitter balances-- which lead to disordered thinking-- and thus disordered action.

There was a time not so long ago that people with diseases like epilepsy and polio were shut away in mental institutions.

Is that an excuse? No way! But let's acknowledge that some individuals have a harder time managing their relationship with food than others. Who knows the cause? Maybe it is "disease?" Can the mind overcome such an issue? Absolutely! The mind can also slow down your own heart rate and reduce your body temperature if trained to do so. Mind and Body are connected. We just don't understand them yet.

I get what you're saying, I think the big issue with calling it a disease is it gives us a reason to not blame ourselves, to not be accountable. I can tell you from first hand experience that I always used any excuse I could to over eat. I was sad, I was stressed, my insulin made me hungry. I used excuses and I just think it's like giving us another excuse to use. What you said about epilepsy and polio is very true. My son has autism and I'm very glad it's understood better now, because they where shut up in mental institutions back then too. I'm all for new research and diagnosis, but when it comes to things we can change, like weight, (and assuming the person does not actually have actual physical issues that can hinder weight loss) I feel like we're using them as excuses not to change our bad behavior. And like I said, I'm not just talking about other people. I'm talking about myself. I know I've done this. I think one big mental issue that needs addressed and worked with is self image. I've always believed the motto that you can't lose weight until you learn to love yourself as you are. Because losing weight isn't going to make you love yourself. This world is harsh and demonizes the obese and that causes low self esteem and helps keep the cycle going.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I bealive you answered my question when you said " you stop putting the food in your mouth ". That would be self control in all it's glory.

I never said such. Perhaps you should reread my response, because that's not at all what i said, and if anything quite the contrary.

I'll have to disagree with you, simply because i choose to believe in science/empirical evidence over observation, and because quite frankly i'm more inclined to believe that professors/researchers have a better understanding of what they're talking about than you do (unless you're licensed in an area of neurology/behavioral sciences/medicine/etc. and neglected to bring up such, or could provide me with convincing evidence otherwise).

Please then - tell me when you decided to not have a food addiction, since this is a choice? Please tell me exactly what time every morning you wake up, and decide to not have Anorexia, Bulimia, OSFED, BED, PICA, MDD, BDD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, BPD, PPD, and all other mental health conditions - even those that i didn't list above and i'm 99.999% sure you've never heard of and therefore cannot consciously choose to will away?

Surely if this is "all just a choice" you should share the wealth, eh? If you have it all figured out, wheres a book or research article to back up such? Do you - or a reputable source - have anything published about how eating disorders boil down to a matter of self control?

Until you are able to bring a source, i'm not going to respond because quite frankly i don't see the point. I don't see the point in having a conversation about illogical perspectives, for if that was the case i'd be wasting my time arguing with people about evolution - something that has long been proved yet many people still don't believe.
    Why do you think it's valid to compare involuntary conditions (ALS) to voluntary actions (eating)?

Zod, yes, neurology is involved. Maybe some people are more susceptible to becoming drug addicts, or alcoholics, or overeaters. That doesn't change whether they are making a conscious decision to put the food in their pieholes.

When you can show me how Hawking can choose to get up out of his wheelchair, I'll see the connection to someone choosing to shovel Cookies and Cream into his face and that neurology is determinant.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people confuse binge eating disorder with an addiction to food.

As someone who is going through the withdrawals, cravings and emotional pain caused by quitting smoking, I can honestly tell you that anyone who claims food addiction is a ridiculous person. Compulsion and addiction are not the same.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I bealive you answered my question when you said " you stop putting the food in your mouth ". That would be self control in all it's glory.

I never said such. Perhaps you should reread my response, because that's not at all what i said, and if anything quite the contrary.

I'll have to disagree with you, simply because i choose to believe in science/empirical evidence over observation, and because quite frankly i'm more inclined to believe that professors/researchers have a better understanding of what they're talking about than you do (unless you're licensed in an area of neurology/behavioral sciences/medicine/etc. and neglected to bring up such, or could provide me with convincing evidence otherwise).

Please then - tell me when you decided to not have a food addiction, since this is a choice? Please tell me exactly what time every morning you wake up, and decide to not have Anorexia, Bulimia, OSFED, BED, PICA, MDD, BDD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, BPD, PPD, and all other mental health conditions - even those that i didn't list above and i'm 99.999% sure you've never heard of and therefore cannot consciously choose to will away?

Surely if this is "all just a choice" you should share the wealth, eh? If you have it all figured out, wheres a book or research article to back up such? Do you - or a reputable source - have anything published about how eating disorders boil down to a matter of self control?

Until you are able to bring a source, i'm not going to respond because quite frankly i don't see the point. I don't see the point in having a conversation about illogical perspectives, for if that was the case i'd be wasting my time arguing with people about evolution - something that has long been proved yet many people still don't believe.

I'm starting to see this side of things a little. I think both over eating and anorexia and bulimia themselves arn't the disease, the self esteem issue is the issue itself. Like I said in the previous post we really need to work on boosting self esteem. It's pretty sad how our culture finds putting each other down as the highest form of entertainment.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The term "food-addiction" is being used more and more nowadays.

Of course it is. By playing the addict card people don't have to accept responsibility for their actions. Over eating is a lack of self control.

I think "lack of self control" is over simplifying things. People over eat for many different reasons.

For me...I had to take a look at why I over ate...why allowed myself to become over weight...before I could fix it. Being honest with myself about those reasons is why I have been able to lose as much as I have and not quitting when it gets tough.

I will say this...food became my "new best friend". It was there for me when I felt like nothing else was...it also allowed me to hide behind a wall of fat. Some would say that I had good reason to hide...I look back now...it wasn't...but it was easier than the other alternative.

Not sure that self control had anything to do with it...

I agree with you. It's not a lack of "self control". In fact, there have been studies that show that "self control" or "will power" are not factors in losing weight long-term. It's a complex issue with complex solutions. Some people think in black and white, though....

I have a nephew that craved attention from his mother as a child. When he over ate...he got that attention. He was made to feel special by how much he could eat. Today...he is a 300+ pound man.

It wasn't a lack of self control...food masked the real problems that he had.

This is why I think that many of us have to face the issues that caused our lives to get so out of control...that we turned to the one thing that would give us pleasure and what we needed.

Even now...after having lost 80lbs...I still have to deal with the issues that I had in life. If I don't acknowledge those issues...i will be right back where I started.

I am not saying that for some people that it is not just a lack of self control...I just believe that for some...it goes much further than that.

All these things you mention are true and valid things that lead to over eating as they can easily overcome a persons self control. But at the end of the day....... Self control is what keeps the fork out of your mouth.

i agree with the others that say you are being oversimplistic.

Of course I am being simpilistic , I am trying to convey a complex issue on a Internet forum.

Make no mistake about it though, there is nothing simple with recognizing self control gaining self control applying self control, keeping self control or understanding self control. Kinda like we use the mantra of calorie in vrs calorie burned around here. A simplification of a complex event. Go hang out with a bunch of addicts, ok well maybe former addicts and they will reapeat the self control mantra. It isn't simple and it sure as hell isn't easy.

No it isn't. And I don't think it's made any easier by fast food companies advertising almost everywhere you go/movies you watch/TV you watch etc etc, as well as junk/convenience food being so, so, readily available.

Is it their fault that individuals make bad choices? No. But they're certainly making it easier for them to make those bad choices more often, and more cheaply. We don't allow drug dealers to advertise/market their product so much, or make it so easily available to drug addicts. Even tobacco and alcohol is pretty heavily regulated. So why do we allow these companies to do it with junk food?
  • reneeb816
    reneeb816 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I've always know that my relationship problems with food stemmed from a psychological place as a pose to anything in the food. However, certain foods can absolutely trigger me to start the binge process. Whether or not it's the deliciousness factor or the habit that has come from years of stuffing myself with that particular food, I just don't know.

I really think it would be helpful though to the thousands (maybe more?) of people that struggle with this problem if we could establish that it's a real issue and have our health insurance companies be willing to pay for some type of treatment. Just as they would for drug and alcohol addictions.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    You can become addicted to almost anything. And whether a physical or psychological addiction, it's still self-control that is needed to break it. Well, self-control or an outside force physically separating you from the source.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    In before lockdown!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people confuse binge eating disorder with an addiction to food.

As someone who is going through the withdrawals, cravings and emotional pain caused by quitting smoking, I can honestly tell you that anyone who claims food addiction is a ridiculous person. Compulsion and addiction are not the same.

You seem to be projecting your own personal situation onto others. I know a few people who say it was easier to stop smoking than to stop overeating.
  • Summerfit321
    Summerfit321 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add my opinion. Everything we do is our responsibility. When we do something good, it is our responsibility and when we do something bad, it is ours as well. An addiction can lead to harming ourselves time and time again, and even though there are biochemical mechanisms compelling us to do these things, it is still down to us, and I understand that completely.

I also worded myself wrong: I actually hardly over eat the way "normal" people do: for the past year I have almost only dieted, or over eaten in a way which I could now only describe as pathological and not physiological. I can sometimes eat beyond enjoyment, just eat and eat until i feel so full that any other emotion like sadness, anger, whatever... has been drowned out. Recently it got so bad that I sometimes fear for my life, maybe I'm just being too scared.
    I do, however know that if I say "Oh well, I'm addicted, woohoo, there goes all my responsibility", I will pay for this greatly, because shifting the blame won't solve the problem. Addiction just means you are ill, doesn't mean you are untreatable, and only you can treat yourself, but there's a very big chance that you need help to do so.

Also, not everyone who is overweight has a problematic relationship with food the way others do. It is a spectrum, going from eating too many calories for a prolonged space of time and these adding up, to eating enough to gain a significant amount of weight in weeks/days. Just like some people drink for fun, some people binge drink on the weekend, some people are alcoholics and some are tea-total.

I also found it interesting how I often hear bad press about simple sugar. Foods containing simple sugar are seen to be more addictive, but the article says, not so. I do however realize that food that has a high nutritious value, food that'll help you survive the next famine might be more appealing to our brains that others. For example, a plate of lettuce won't give you as high a chance of surviving as a plate of sugary and fatty biscuits.
  • Summerfit321
    Options

I think that some people can show a certain degree of withdrawal even with food. It might be psychosomatic, but I believe it can exist. I can't speak for everyone, I guess...
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I am a "food addict" as well. I don't think people realize how hard it is to break a bad habit you've had for DECADES. It is not that simple to say it all simply boils down to self-control. You have the good days and you have the bad... for me, anyways.

That study is interesting, though.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

You seem to be projecting your own personal situation onto others. I know a few people who say it was easier to stop smoking than to stop overeating.

Well, I've also overcome binge eating disorder. Quitting smoking was more difficult for me, because it is an actual physical addiction that caused me pain to go through. The psychological pull of food is not the same thing. Maybe I'm projecting, or maybe I just have enough experience with both to compare them. Everyone on this site is projecting their own issues. Most people think their way is the only way. *shrug*
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    In before lockdown!

Not sure why there would be a lock down. I think that last night some of us were able to discuss opposing views...for the most part...in a civil manner.

i suppose...that is subject to change...any minute now!

I go get another cup of coffee and check back...see if this thread is still viable...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    In before lockdown!

Not sure why there would be a lock down. I think that last night some of us were able to discuss opposing views...for the most part...in a civil manner.

I go get another cup of coffee and check back...see if this thread is still viable...

I thought the discussion was good. I also think that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be shut down-- it depends on how many people feel the need to report it.

Personally I haven't completely decided where I come down on food addiction, although this study supports what I would like to believe. I do applaud the OP for saying "I believe in food addiction. This study contradicts me so I'm considering it." It's refreshing to see a person actually willing to consider evidence that doesn't necessarily support their opinion.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't think many of you realize nor appreciate how little we know about the human mind. The DSM has undergone a multitude of changes throughout the years as we learn more and try to define psychological disorders. Hell, practitioners actually listed being gay as a mental disorder at one point. And look how the times have changed.
    One day we may find neurological responses directly linked to eating disorders. In fact, most of the recently FDA approved weight loss supplements have ingredients that work similarly to those in antidepressants. Interestingly, the most successful medication to help quite smoking-Chantix-has been shown to also reduce depression.
    Point being, move forward with an open mind, rather than an "it's as simple as putting down the fork" mentality.
  • Summerfit321
    Options
    I don't think many of you realize nor appreciate how little we know about the human mind. The DSM has undergone a multitude of changes throughout the years as we learn more and try to define psychological disorders. Hell, practitioners actually listed being gay as a mental disorder at one point. And look how the times have changed.
    One day we may find neurological responses directly linked to eating disorders. In fact, most of the recently FDA approved weight loss supplements have ingredients that work similarly to those in antidepressants. Interestingly, the most successful medication to help quite smoking-Chantix-has been shown to also reduce depression.
    Point being, move forward with an open mind, rather than an "it's as simple as putting down the fork" mentality.

Interesting point! I recently reread an psychology book I have, and only because of my problems with food. Eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia are often treated with SSRIs and sometimes even anti-psychotic medication... maybe one day binge eating disorder will be the same.
    As for being gay... loving someone of the same sex does not cause you harm, and if you truly love them it can bring you happiness, so that's why seeing it as a disorder doesn't seem correct at all as me. But over-eating and binge eating can kill you, plus no-one sees any benefits.
    Indeed, our minds are very complex and one disorder often flows into another. It's not always clear where the lines between compulsion, addiction, etc... can be drawn.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Interesting... I liked these 2 quotes at the end of the article:
    "Certain individuals do have an addictive-like relationship with particular foods and they can over-eat despite knowing the risks to their health.

"More avenues for treatment may open up if we think about this condition as a behavioural addiction rather than a substance-based addiction."
    To me, it's saying that if you still want to refer to it as an addiction, fine, but recognize it as a "behavioral" addiction rather than a substance one. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for posting!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I am a "food addict" as well. I don't think people realize how hard it is to break a bad habit you've had for DECADES. It is not that simple to say it all simply boils down to self-control. You have the good days and you have the bad... for me, anyways.

That study is interesting, though.

First of all, cudos to you for taking steps to break your bad habits / food addiction.

Please know that just because it is simple to say it boils down to self control does not mean that exercising that self control over any addiction or bad habit is easy or simple. Many addicts spend the rest of their lives in support groups and battle every day to control their addiction. There is nothing easy about it. Don't let the fact that it isn't easy deter you. You can succeed.. Like the saying goes: Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    In before lockdown!

I thought the discussion was good. I also think that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be shut down-- it depends on how many people feel the need to report it.

Personally I haven't completely decided where I come down on food addiction, although this study supports what I would like to believe. I do applaud the OP for saying "I believe in food addiction. This study contradicts me so I'm considering it." It's refreshing to see a person actually willing to consider evidence that doesn't necessarily support their opinion.

I won't say if food is or isn't addictive...I simply don't know. I have a tendency to believe that no food in and of itself is addictive. I do however believe that the emotional need to use food can be as powerful as any chemical addiction.

I can only speak of my own experience. I didn't always over eat. I didn't one day wake up and decide to eat way beyond my physical needs of food. I used food...my weight...my inactivity...to punish myself. I knew what I was doing was unhealthy but it gave me some where to hide. It wasn't until I hit rock bottom...wanted my life back...that I took a look at what had caused me to allow this to happen.

Even at this point...it wasn't so simple as...stop eating so much. It took almost 3 years for me to be able to get my life under control. It was one step at a time. Kind of like the 12 Step program that someone suggested!

Right now...for the last ttwo months...it has been a mind game...to keep moving forward. It has taken my by surprise...I thought that I was beyond this stage.

That is where self control has come in to my battle...the getting up every morning and starting over.

I would never say that I was "addicted to food"...I will say that I was addicted to self sabotage.