Good Low-Calorie Pumpkin Recipes?

Options
Hi! Fall is right around the corner, and you know what that means: it's pumpkin season! I am so obsessed with pumpkin foods that I literally count down the months until they return to restaurants and stores, but this fall, I am a bit depressed because I can't eat most of the pumpkin foods that I wait all year for because they are so high in calories, fat, and sugar. Does anyone know any good, low-calorie pumpkin recipes? Pumpkin bread, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin pie…anything pumpkin is fair game! I know that there are literally hundreds of pumpkin recipes on the web, but let's be honest: I am not patient enough to search through them all. Plus, I know I can take your word for whether a recipe is actually good or not. Thank you!

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    there are a ton of healthy pumpkin recipes right here! http://dhftns.com/healthy-recipes/protein-recipes/
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Add it to cooked oatmeal; add it to protein shakes, . . .
  • lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Mix a can of pumpkin with a box of Duncan Hines yellow cake mix and make muffins. If you make mini muffins, they are about 70 calories each.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I do the cake mix and canned pumpkin all the time, it's fantastic.

I also use pumpkin and greek yogurt with a touch of milk and ice to make smoothies.

SF/FF cheesecake instant pudding mix with pumpkin, milk, cool whip and a touch of cream cheese (sorry I don't have exact measurements) makes a fantastic mock pumpkin mousse. It tastes very similar to the double layer pumpkin pie recipe from Keebler.
    I soften the cream cheese then add the pudding mix and powder, milk and blend then slowly add cool whip by hand until just the right texture forms. This looks very scrumptious served in wine glasses.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm also on the hunt for more pumpkin recipes.

I've made a few pumpkin recipes this week:

Pumpkin Butter:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/10/pumpkin-butter.html

I cut the recipe down in a quarter size because I didn't have much pumpkin and didn't want to make a huge batch if I didn't like it. It's amazing. I've been putting it on my bagel each morning. You don't need much (I use half a serving, 1TBSP) and the flavor is good and strong.

Pumpkin greek yogurt:
    I mix some pumpkin puree from a can with my favorite vanilla/plain greek yogurt and add some pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. I use dannon greek yogurt.

Pumpkin protein shake:
    Frozen greek yogurt, almond milk, a few slices of frozen banana, pumpkin puree, vanilla protein powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice.

Jamba juice had an amazing pumpkin pie smoothie last year and this shake was so much better. I had to tweak it a bit to make it how I wanted. Ended up being 57g frozen plain greek yogurt, 80g pumpkin puree, 1 cup almond milk, 15g frozen banana, 1 serving of vanilla protein powder and a few pinches of each spice.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Mix a can of pumpkin with a box of Duncan Hines yellow cake mix and make muffins. If you make mini muffins, they are about 70 calories each.

Wait...do you prepare the yellow cake mix like it says on the box, or just mix it with the pumpkin and put it in the oven?

Someone gave me awesome muffin tins and I'm dying to make some healthy muffins this weekend :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I buy those little sugar pie pumpkins, cut them in half and roast them in the oven. Sprinkle on some dark chocolate chips while it's still warm and let them get all melty, then just chow down.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Add 1 cup of water too (it works just as well). This gives you more (lighter) muffins

Add cinnamon (at least) or use spice cake mix.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    That pumpkin Greek yogurt sounds amazing! I love pumpkin but my husband doesn't so I'm always looking for pumpkin treats I can make in small batches. I'm going to have to give that one a try.
  • TeaBea
    Options

Wait...do you prepare the yellow cake mix like it says on the box, or just mix it with the pumpkin and put it in the oven?

Someone gave me awesome muffin tins and I'm dying to make some healthy muffins this weekend :)

A couple options..........

Cake mix (or brownie mix) plus 15 oz. canned pumpkin.....that's all. The texture is a little off, but they taste yummy.

Cake mix (NOT brownie mix) plus 1 cup water plus 15 oz. canned pumpkin. The texture is a little lighter, more like a cupcake than bread (a little off). Lower calorie because you're spreading the calories between a larger quantity of cupcakes.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

Cake mix (or brownie mix) plus 15 oz. canned pumpkin.....that's all. The texture is a little off, but they taste yummy.

Cake mix (or brownie mix) plus 1 cup water plus 15 oz. canned pumpkin. The texture is a little lighter, more like a cupcake than bread (a little off). Lower calorie because you're spreading the calories between a larger quantity of cupcakes.

That sounds great - a very easy!! I wonder how many calories there would be in a regular size muffin?... I'd love to bake a bunch and maybe freeze some for an easy breakfast or snack.
  • TeaBea
    Options

Cake mix (or brownie mix) plus 1 cup water plus 15 oz. canned pumpkin. The texture is a little lighter, more like a cupcake than bread (a little off). Lower calorie because you're spreading the calories between a larger quantity of cupcakes.

That sounds great - a very easy!! I wonder how many calories there would be in a regular size muffin?... I'd love to bake a bunch and maybe freeze some for an easy breakfast or snack.

***Edit ......I wouldn't add 1 cup of water to the brownie mix (I got a little carried away with copy & paste).

A got about 72 calories (each) for 24 cupcakes...I used the additional water method. A little on the small size (approached the top of the muffin liner...not over).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've made the box cake and pumpkin muffins, but it's even better if you use carrot cake mix... I just added a bit of water.

For oatmeal, I just mix 1/3 cup of canned pumpkin with the dry oats and water, add pumpkin pie spices, a bit of stevia and some vanilla extract, and microwave for 1.5 minute. It's pretty good, although I wish it was more filling (I'm hungry 2 hours later).
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I've made the box cake and pumpkin muffins, but it's even better if you use carrot cake mix... I just added a bit of water.

For oatmeal, I just mix 1/3 cup of canned pumpkin with the dry oats and water, add pumpkin pie spices, a bit of stevia and some vanilla extract, and microwave for 1.5 minute. It's pretty good, although I wish it was more filling (I'm hungry 2 hours later).

You could try adding a half scoop of vanilla protein powder! It'll contribute to the flavor AND help keep you feeling full
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    WadeLam posted this recently http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1424384-healthy-pumpkin-pie-custard-76-calories
    It is delicious! Low cal and good amounts of fibre/protein.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

***Edit ......I wouldn't add 1 cup of water to the brownie mix (I got a little carried away with copy & paste).

A got about 72 calories (each) for 24 cupcakes...I used the additional water method. A little on the small size (approached the top of the muffin liner...not over).

OMG - I'm totally making this over the weekend! Thank you!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I just made an epic pumpkin-Banana break! Here's the recipe: http://janetandgreta.com/recipe/pumpkin-banana-zucchini-loaf-with-flax-and-walnuts-march-2012-newsletter/

The Recipe says is serves 12, however I got 18 slices out of mine. So instead of the Calorie count being 254 per serving. Mine was 103. I did follow the recipe exact so I don't know how I got so much more out of it. Unless there servings are huge, which then 254 wouldn't be bad at all! All the ingredients are really healthy, too!