Same food, tonnes of different database options!

Options
I'm new to these message boards, so sorry if I've posted in the wrong place!

I'm just wondering what you do if you search for a food on the database and there's tonnes of different options, all with different values? For instance, I just searched for 'California roll" (as in sushi) and I've gotten results varying from 191 cals for 6 pieces to over 600 cals! All the values vary wildly, not just cals. How do you pick the right one?

Replies

• SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    With something like California roll you are going to get loads of variations, for sure! Sometimes the packaged kids come with nutrition values, and in that case use that. Otherwise I tend to go by sushifaq.com, though I did kind of arbitrarily arrive at that decision.

I find in general I am eating in more and cooking so I can be super precise with my tracking. If I must eat out, I track the best I can and then move on. That's probably around once a week at this point, so I can be sure that %95 of my meals are precisely tracked.
  • persephone56
    Options
    Thanks! I've been out of the tracking game for a few months now, so I forgot how annoying it is when you don't prepare the food yourself. Luckily, I do cook most of my food from scratch so hopefully it shouldn't be too frustrating.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been out of the tracking game for a few months now, so I forgot how annoying it is when you don't prepare the food yourself. Luckily, I do cook most of my food from scratch so hopefully it shouldn't be too frustrating.

There you go - I do think doing a lot of cooking from scratch helps loads.

Another thing about sushi I just thought of. I am such a nigiri fan and I did notice that the calories and carbs often seem quite low for it, so I do add about half cup of rice to my meal since my sushi local does make huge nigiri.