Eating dinner late in the evening

124»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    There are three camps: It does, It doesn't and It might. Gotta pick one. You picked two: It doesn't and It might.

Actually, there's a fourth camp...the one that says, that it might possibly make some difference...but really, that difference is so minuscule as to largely be irrelevant and certainly not worth all of this hand ringing derp people do over it.

But hey...it's MFP...nobody does derp like MFP right?
    This is the second time I've seen the word "derp" and the first time was here. I don't know what it means.

The example you give is not a fourth thing. It the "It's possible" camp, with tacked-on assumptions about the difference would make and additional commentary about not caring.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/derp
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    i eat whenever i want to eat (just keep it all in my calorie goals). hasn't hindered my weight loss as far as i can tell.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Since I am so stupid, boil it down for me.

Are you saying that eating late does not have any effect on weight? Yes or no?
    It has no effect on weight that is any different from eating at any other time of day.
    Great. Solidly in a camp. Yay that.

I still think it's possible, but in respect your opinion. :)
    Do you have any credible sources which have demonstrated that it might make a difference?
    You don't need to demonstrate that something *might* make a difference. Unless someone proves that it does or does not, the possibility just exists.

There might be another solar system. There might be a heaven. There might be a snake in my pool, but until I go out there and look, there is no way to know.

Possibilities aren't proven; they just exist.
    So we're back to the weight loss elves. It might be that people fail to lose weight, not because they aren't at a caloric deficit, but because they have angered the weight loss elves.

See, the difference between your Shrodinger's snake and the effect of eating at night causing weight gain, or slowing weight loss, is that the latter has already been shown not to exist. It's not some random thing with a 50/50 chance of being right. It's already been shown to be wrong. You might as well think it's possible that human flight can't be achieved.
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    I think a lot of people put an end time to their eating to help with late night binges. Its a tool for them.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    I eat really late sometimes, because my husband doesn't get home until 9 most nights so we will have dinner together sometime between 9 and 10. I won't eat a lot if I had a large meal around 5, but him eating triggers me into wanting to eat too, so sometimes I eat even when I'm not hungry. Compound that with the fact that sometimes I will also work late, and if I didn't eat alot before my shift I will find myself very hungry around 11 or even midnight, whenever I get home.
    I stopped counting calories for a while but am getting back on track now. Thankfully I only went back up about 2lb or so.

The only thing negative I get out of eating late at night is if I don't give it at least 2 hours between eating and falling asleep, I have the most horriffic nightmares. Last time, I dreamt I was a baby-eating demon. And I ate some babies. It wasn't gory visually or physically - in the dream I only mimed taking bites out of some toddlers & scratched at them with the long claws I had (but couldn't actually visualize) but it was the feeling the dream invoked that was so bad. I'm glad that the visuals in my mind couldn't quite catch up with what was intended to be happening, but still - gross!
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    I would think your macros make a bigger difference when it comes to the time of the day (post workout / before bed) then the actual time you are eating it. But I also believe in the grand scheme of things do what works, as long as you are reaching your calories don't stress with the rest. Overthinking causes us to make the process more difficult than it really is and you might get tired of it quicker.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Since I am so stupid, boil it down for me.

Are you saying that eating late does not have any effect on weight? Yes or no?
    It has no effect on weight that is any different from eating at any other time of day.
    Great. Solidly in a camp. Yay that.

I still think it's possible, but in respect your opinion. :)
    Do you have any credible sources which have demonstrated that it might make a difference?
    You don't need to demonstrate that something *might* make a difference. Unless someone proves that it does or does not, the possibility just exists.

There might be another solar system. There might be a heaven. There might be a snake in my pool, but until I go out there and look, there is no way to know.

Possibilities aren't proven; they just exist.
    So we're back to the weight loss elves. It might be that people fail to lose weight, not because they aren't at a caloric deficit, but because they have angered the weight loss elves.

See, the difference between your Shrodinger's snake and the effect of eating at night causing weight gain, or slowing weight loss, is that the latter has already been shown not to exist. It's not some random thing with a 50/50 chance of being right. It's already been shown to be wrong. You might as well think it's possible that human flight can't be achieved.
    We aren't back to anything. You are arguing against points I never made. I will leave you to it.

If you think the rudeness and name-calling is impressive, think again.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I think a lot of people put an end time to their eating to help with late night binges. Its a tool for them.

And that's sensible, for them.

It's not a good reason to tell the majority of people who probably have no issues with late night binges or who will stay within their calories more easily if they eat when they like that they must not eat after 7 pm.

Not claiming that you do this, for the record, but just focusing back on the fact that the OP has apparently been told that it interferes with weight loss if you eat after 7. Depends entirely on the person.