Heart Rate Monitor Question

Beehiveof8
Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently bought a PoloarFT HRM. It seems to do a wonderful job, but I was under the impression it would tell me how many calories I burned? It just does the heart rate. Is there some sort of conversion I don't know about like "heartrate for X amount of minutes = X calories burned" ? Or should I just return it and find something else? I specifically asked the lady if it would tell me how many calories burned and she said yes. Well, after tinkering with it and reading the directions, I don't see one word about the calories burned.

Suggestions?

If you can recommend a HRT that will give me a caloric read out, I would appreciate that. I have around $100 to $125 to spend.

TIA!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    When you push start & it tells you your heart rate, you need to press start AGAIN for it to calculate your calories. I have a Polar FT4 and i have to push start twice then it will say "started" & it begins calculating your HR & your cals burned.
  • Hi there!

What Polar model do you have? I have an Polar F7 and it calculates the heart rate,calories burned and other key metrics. Perhaps it's the model you have or you just haven't figured out that "special" little button yet!
  • Beehiveof8
    Hmmm... all it says when I hit it again is "STOP".

Here is what my readout says.... I push the button and it says "EXE" and it takes my heartrate. If I hit the button again it just stops and gives me my readout.

I have a FT2, btw... maybe I need to upgrade to the FT4?
  • Emi_chan
    Emi_chan Posts: 105 Member
    When I was looking on the HRM website, it looks like some of the FT models don't have the option to see "calories burned", so I guess you have one of those. I have the Polar F6 and it's pretty self-explanatory and I can set it to calories burned or the duration of exercise. I highly recommend it!
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    My husband bought me a S7 Heart Rate monitor for chrismas, and everything seems to work, except the calories. my husband can get it to read calories, but when I exercise, it just says like 10-15 calories burned. It says you have to keep touching to get your heart rate. and be more accurate. but how often? I did it every few min, and didn't seem to help. and its kinda difficult to be bouncing around following a video and trying to keep your finger still on the watch.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member

Here is what my readout says.... I push the button and it says "EXE" and it takes my heartrate. If I hit the button again it just stops and gives me my readout.

The FT2 doesn't calc cals burnt feature. The FT4 does.
  • I'm not sure how the "wrist watch only" models work. I have on with a chest strap and it is awesome! I love it. The chest strap sends the heart rate signal to my wrist watch and I don't have to do anything.
  • Beehiveof8

The FT2 doesn't calc cals burnt feature. The FT4 does.

WEll now, that explains it! LOL... looks like I'll be returning it for another model.

Thanks to everyone for your imput! My husband and I and the kids are going out shopping later so I'll exchange it then. BTW... shopping with Dh, and 7 kids in tow burns tons of calories! :P
  • I have the FT4 and it DOES show calories burned. I think that was the lowest model that did, though. I think you just need to upgrade. I had a Polar I got from my gym that worked with the machines, but didn't show cals burned, maybe it's the same model you have now. I got the FT4 on Amazon.com new for about $66. Not bad at all and it seems to be a pretty good HRM. Hope you find what you need. ;)
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    I have the FT4 and it DOES show calories burned. I think that was the lowest model that did, though. I think you just need to upgrade. I had a Polar I got from my gym that worked with the machines, but didn't show cals burned, maybe it's the same model you have now. I got the FT4 on Amazon.com new for about $66. Not bad at all and it seems to be a pretty good HRM. Hope you find what you need. ;)
    She has the FT2 now not the FT4.
  • Beehiveof8
    I got the FT7 and LOVE it! Thanks for all the imput ya'll!
This discussion has been closed.