Opinions on calorie counting?

Options
I've heard a lot of pros and cons to calorie counting and I'm trying to decide what is best for me and my lifestyle. I would really appreciate any and all input! :)

Replies

• 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    it takes some time to set up initially... getting all your foods into your database... but after that is done you only need to search if you eat something new. I tend to keep my foods similar all the time (sounds boring but i have a varied diet so its good) so i log in in the afternoons, check how i went that day and plan my meal for the next day... takes about 10 mins, only longer if i read the message board and post comments
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Like any other dieting, it's hard to stick to.

Unlike most other dieting, it actually works over the long run.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal, really.

If you're trying to lose weight, calorie counting is advised as you can see what you're taking in.
    Calorie counting while maintaining weight is pretty important, you might accidentally go into a deficit and start to lose weight.

Calorie counting doesn't take much effort, the food you usually eat or have eat recently are all in a drop down menu that you can quickly log.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I disagree with that. I tried calorie counting for 20 years. No one can do that for the rest of thier lives. Talk about eating disorders, obsessing over every little thing you put in your mouth, how many calories in it, can I afford to eat it, every single day for ever (yes, forever. if you stop, you will go back to eating like you did before, and get fat again. truth is if you restrict your calories, by the time you're at goal weight, you'll have to stay on a restricted amount for ever to maintain that weight).

I no longer have to count calories, or obsess over what I eat. I don't weigh everything, I don't spend half the day dreaming of my next meal, and doing mental math to work out what I can eat. I'm the least obsessed with food that I've ever been, and I'm actually losing weight consistantly like I've never done before, without always feeling I'm about to slip, cheat, fall off the wagon.

You decide. You want to weigh and measure and record your food, you go for it, but it seems to me the very definition of an eating disorder.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

I don't spend half the day dreaming of my next meal, and doing mental math to work out what I can eat.

You decide. You want to weigh and measure and record your food, you go for it, but it seems to me the very definition of an eating disorder.

I don't think I've ever had to do mental maths to choose what I eat... I'm sure it only happens when people have gone over a little too much; at least it's never happened to me.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I disagree with that. I tried calorie counting for 20 years. No one can do that for the rest of thier lives. Talk about eating disorders, obsessing over every little thing you put in your mouth, how many calories in it, can I afford to eat it, every single day for ever (yes, forever. if you stop, you will go back to eating like you did before, and get fat again. truth is if you restrict your calories, by the time you're at goal weight, you'll have to stay on a restricted amount for ever to maintain that weight).

I no longer have to count calories, or obsess over what I eat. I don't weigh everything, I don't spend half the day dreaming of my next meal, and doing mental math to work out what I can eat. I'm the least obsessed with food that I've ever been, and I'm actually losing weight consistantly like I've never done before, without always feeling I'm about to slip, cheat, fall off the wagon.

nevermind_nathan_fillion.gif

I don't even know where to start on this.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Oh feel free to start. If you want to. It's just my experience from being overweight and trying to control it for the last 20 years, and only my opinion. Which is what the OP asked for.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    if you stop, you will go back to eating like you did before, and get fat again.

*raises the BS flag*

Maybe *you* did, but that is not to say OP or anyone else will. That's beyond presumptuous of you.

Counting calories is not an eating disorder, and if you actually think that I suspect you might REALLY be on the wrong website. The idea of weighing, measuring, and logging your food is so you gain an understanding of how much you are eating. Proper portion sizes are typically much smaller than we think they are, and overestimating is one of the big reasons people don't lose weight. I imagine after awhile of weighing a proper serving of cheddar cheese that I will become familiar with roughly how much it is, but since I'm just starting out my estimations are WAY off. Like I will lop off 3 oz of cheese thinking it's 1.5 oz. That is why I have a scale, to help me learn proper portions.

Also if the OP does some looking around and learns about BMR and TDEE they will see that what you call "restricting" isn't actually all that restricted.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Shai, what are you doing on a calorie counting website? And what is your alternative method?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Your decide. You want to weigh and measure and record your food, you go for it, but it seems to me the very definition of an eating disorder.
    So according to your definition of an ED every baker and anyone who ever baked and weighs and measures has an eating disorder! Luckily the majority of people weigh their food log it don't obsess and carry on with their days. Your definition is a bit like blaming people getting lost on maps. Calorie counting is a tool it's up to the individual how they use it and approach it.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It will succeed if you are diligent. Like a rocket, the lift off (beginning) is the most difficult. But in short order, the program will remember what you normally eat. In time you will be able to almost correctly measure the food you normally eat by sight...took me about a year, but i still spot check.

I was hesitate and didn't want to have to take the time to measure and log...but in the end...it works.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of pros and cons to calorie counting and I'm trying to decide what is best for me and my lifestyle. I would really appreciate any and all input! :)

There are pro's and con's to all diets, whether its a restricted calorie diet (calorie counting) or a restricted food group diet (low carb).

Both of the diets work well and are healthily when followed properly. However there will be millions of people who cannot succeed on a low carb diet, just as there will be millions of people who cannot succeed with a calorie counting diet!

Best answer would be - give it a go, try it for a month. Give it the best shot you can and follow it to the letter and see how you find it.

It's possible it won't be for you at all, or you may find it easy and stick with it. You may find that it's okay and find some middle ground which will help you in your goals.

There's no one diet out that that suits everyone.

Good luck.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Like any other dieting, it's hard to stick to.

Unlike most other dieting, it actually works over the long run.

Pst! Like every other healthy diet it works in the long term if it suits you.
  • skytoads
    Options
    Try it out and see if it works for you - if it doesn't just stop. It's not one of those things that will take a lot of effort or time, and some people are successful at it while others are not, so why not test it out yourself?
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

just try it.
    to me there are no cons.
    also peeking at your goals/ profile, the info on proteind,fats,sugars etc in your macros will give you important insights into your dietary consumption for life at a young age.
    like many,i only wish this easy and helpfull tool was available 20 years ago.
    maybe then, we wouldnt have ridiculous posts using excuses for 20 year weight fails.
    g luck.
  • kathleenkilhefner
    Options
    OMG. I am trying to reply to a previous post and don't know how to do it. You know how you can highlight a post on a tread and comment on that one or a portion of the name. Well I just tried it and wasn't successful. Tried to delete my comment and wasn't successful. Please ignore this post. Thank you have a great day.
  • nzchikky
    nzchikky Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I feel I have to count mine until I can kinda guess on my own how many calories are in each food. Otherwise I will just carry on over eating
  • rawremzilly
    Options
    I think it depends on you and your lifestyle to start with.

For example, I've always eaten fairly healthily but as soon as I went to uni, bam, it was what I could afford to eat not what I wanted to eat and so I gained a fair bit of weight over the span of the last few years. And all the unhealthy food I was eating started to increase in portion size when I got stressed or had big events coming up.

Calorie counting for me isn't about punishing myself when I eat too much or obsessing about going over the limit. It's to keep a record of where I'm going wrong so I can fix it (e.g. am I likely to gain weight when I eat noodles and if so how important are they to my daily diet? Can I remove them easily). Since I've started and been able to observe increases and decreases I've lost 48lb. I'm still waaay heavier than I should be but it's helped a lot to have kept a record and review it from time to time.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I was gonna bold all the crap in this post but...well let's just say I would have to bold it all.

Anyone can count calories for life if they want...it's not an indication of an ED.

I don't obsess over everything I put in my mouth...check my diary...chocolate bars, cookies, chips dip...along with chicken, salad, steak, pasta etc.

As for getting fat again yah I did htat for 20 years too...because I wasn't counting calories. 20 years of yo yo ing to my highest of 205 down to 165 for 20 YEARS never maintaining for more than 6 months...no counting calories...last 2 years at my lowest weight since my son was born...almost at high school weight because of counting calories...

As for the restriction I can actually eat more now and maintain than I could when I was at 165...imagine that...:drinker:

To the OP this poster seems a bit angry if you ask me. Counting calories and using a food scale is easy and if done consistently you will lose weight and maintain it. None of what this poster said is reality for most people here...my personal opinion on counting it works without drama, no restrictions except on the amounts but you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay in a reasonable deficit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Oh feel free to start. If you want to. It's just my experience from being overweight and trying to control it for the last 20 years, and only my opinion. Which is what the OP asked for.
    I had the opposite experience - stayed fat for 20 years while not counting calories.

Got lighter, fitter, stronger, healthier by counting calories and have found a way to maintain in a relaxed and sustainable way incorporating (but not obsessing about) calorie counting.