Gallbladder Stuff

Options
2»

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    My wife had her's out about a month ago. She was one hurtin' puppy until they figured out the issue -- she's a lot happier now, for sure.

I think the main cause was her persistent high cholesterol -- the "stones" (more a crapload of gravel rather than anything big) were all cholesterol stones. The liver tries to flush excess cholesterol out of the body through the bile ducts (and gallbladder) into the intestines. In some folks this turns into stones.

She thought the (laproscopic) surgery was a piece of cake, other than the b*tch nurse in a hurry to get her out of the outpatient recovery room. The referred pain in her shoulders from the excess gas from the surgery was far worse than the incisions.
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Okay guys. This has been helpful and interesting to me. The surgeon did think it was indicated, though I have NO stones, just "markedly decreased functionality". I'm having it done this Tuesday.
    For the record, I have never been more than 10 lbs overweight (I am at MFP to see that perimenopause does not make me fat), have never dieted, do not have high cholesterol, and eat very little animal protein. It's almost exclusively found in women, particularly those who've had at least two pregnancies. However, an abrupt change in diet can precipitate the attacks. I, after being a healthy carb freak forever, tried South Beach for 10 days. That is when this all started.
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was only 17 when I got severe gallstones and had it taken out. I guess it happened because I was 180lbs at the time (5'5") and went on a VERY sudden diet and exercise regime....I pretty much went cold turkey on my old lifestyle. It was too much too fast, I lost 50lbs in less than 6months. I started getting the worst pains I have ever felt in my life under my ribs, kind of a painful bubbling feeling. It made it hard to breath. Unfortunately due to my young age nobody suspected gallstones and I got diagnosed with "panic attacks" instead, meaning I had to deal with this pain for many months longer and I almost got held back a grade due to how many absences I had. After 2 trips to the ER I finally found a doctor who suggested gallstones. Did a scan and sure enough it was LOADED with stones. Had the surgery and haven't had the pain since, although I've had a whole new list of other digestive issues since then. You are so right about the "abrupt change in diet"! That was not a fun experience!