Question for HCG users

Options
Have any of you tried the HCG platinum sold by GNC? I would like to try it for my second round to save some money, but would like to know if anyone here has had luck with it.

Replies

• marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    My neighbor lost so much weight and gained it back right away. Is it worth the money and starving? I am not being critical just curious.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My neighbor lost so much weight and gained it back right away. Is it worth the money and starving? I am not being critical just curious.

Agreed. I have read that you really do lose a lot AND quickly. But you eat so minimal, like 500 cals/day I think? So, when you stop it and start eating regular again it is easy to gain back. That is NOT to say that as long as you are very careful and dedicated after that you cannot maintain. It is just such a change and shock to the system that people tend to yo-yo. Or so I have heard. :)
  • jerseygirl777
    Options
    I think the idea behind it is to reset your body and mind. I have never done it, but I think if you do any weight loss program and return to "old habits" you will gain weight back.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Question for you.. What weight loss program is there out there, that when you finish losing your weight, you don't have to be careful and watch what you are eating. HCG is no different than any of the diet programs out there. Look at the stars that have been Jenny Craig and the other spokes persons. Look what happen with several of them. It's common sense to know anything you do to change a habit when you have become successful at it that you still have to be aware of falling back into old habits and starting that demon up again.. So HCG is NO different.

As far as the LCD that is being spoke of. You do not starve the HCG provides the calories you need to keep from starving. If you are dealing with starvation feelings then you would need to up your dosage or adjust something on your program. Again same as any other diet. You have problems you adjust it to work for you.

To many people are quick to condemn and jump on the band wagon when they lack the knowledge regarding the situation. I am not condeming you are anyone else. I also was guilty of saying negatives against HCG. And I started reading up on it and become aware of how it works and so I can see how it would be a positive way to loss and be successful at it..
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Question for you.. What weight loss program is there out there, that when you finish losing your weight, you don't have to be careful and watch what you are eating. HCG is no different than any of the diet programs out there. Look at the stars that have been Jenny Craig and the other spokes persons. Look what happen with several of them. It's common sense to know anything you do to change a habit when you have become successful at it that you still have to be aware of falling back into old habits and starting that demon up again.. So HCG is NO different.

As far as the LCD that is being spoke of. You do not starve the HCG provides the calories you need to keep from starving. If you are dealing with starvation feelings then you would need to up your dosage or adjust something on your program. Again same as any other diet. You have problems you adjust it to work for you.

To many people are quick to condemn and jump on the band wagon when they lack the knowledge regarding the situation. I am not condeming you are anyone else. I also was guilty of saying negatives against HCG. And I started reading up on it and become aware of how it works and so I can see how it would be a positive way to loss and be successful at it..

accordign to this there are no calories in hcg so how does it provide the calories you need to keep from starving.

Nutrition Facts

HCG Drops
    Calories 0 Calories from Fat 0
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 0g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The HCG diet is a dangerous scam. The ONLY reason people lose weight on it is the extremely low calorie food plan. HCG in ANY form has been repeatedly proven to do NOTHING to help with your weight loss or make it safe to eat only 500 calories a day.

I know some people that put their faith in the HCG diet, and became very ill from malnutrition as a result. It is NOT safe!

Here are a some good links about the HCG diet that you might want to read before you get any farther into this:

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/hcg-diet-dangerous-1428

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-cure-dont-want-you-to-know

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

http://www.tucsonmedical.com/pages/hcg.php
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    HCG injections do nothing for weight loss and homeopathic drops do less than nothing

Stein et al. Ineffectiveness of human chorionic gonadotropin in weight reduction: a double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 29, 940-948

"HCG does not appear to enhance the effectiveness of a rigidly imposed regimen for weight reduction."

Lijesen et al. The effect of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1995 Sep;40(3):237-43.

"There is no scientific evidence that hCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-loss of fat-redistribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being."

also see JAMA 236:2495–2497, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 29:940–948, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 12:230–234, 1963, S Afr Med J. 1990 Feb 17;77(4):185-9, West Journal of Medicine 127:461–463, 1977, Archives of Internal Medicine 137:151-155, 1977
  • amilynnM
    amilynnM Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Allegedly hCG is providing you with your needed calories by metabolizing fat stores in your body. During the first 3 months of pregnancy, hCG helps to ensure the fetus obtains enough nutrients and then levels drop off in the second trimester. It has some other pregnancy-supporting functions as well and is legally prescribed as a fertility aid.

I don't believe in the least that hCG is providing the needed calories and nutrition and it is VERY difficult to find any credible scientific sources stating as such. I actually haven't found any.

Also, if you are taking the hCG diet, please take a B vitamin supplement! While most vitamins are stored in fat, vitamin B is not and is needed for healthy immune and nervous system function. Some hCG users have reported hair loss, likely due to a lack of B vitamin.
  • amilynnM
    amilynnM Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Add to that the legal disclaimer provided by the hCG clinics themselves:

Legal Disclaimer: The FDA has not approved HCG Therapy to lose weight. “HCG HAS NOT BEEN DEMONSTRATED TO BE EFFECTIVE ADJUNCTIVE THERAPY IN THE TREATMENT OF OBESITY. THERE IS NO SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE THAT IT INCREASES WEIGHT LOSS BEYOND THAT RESULTING FROM CALORIC RESTRICTION, THAT IT CAUSES A MORE ATTRACTIVE OR "NORMAL" DISTRIBUTION OF FAT, OR THAT IT DECREASES THE HUNGER AND DISCOMFORT ASSOCIATED WITH CALORIE-RESTRICTED DIETS.”