Liquid Detox and Hair loss! Please help!!

Hello! I am starting my 60 day liquid diet tomorrow, for the purpose of losing weight, changing my habits of binging, and getting clearer skin, and to feel more energetic throughout the day.

I am on a 1000 calorie deficit, but all my calories are nutrient-dense.
e.g- around 50% calories vegetables
20-% from fruit
and the rest 30% of calories coming from protein power/sources of protein e.g. almonds/chia/flaxseeds.

I'm not worried at all about falling off the wagon. What I'm concerned about is HAIR LOSS!!! I have read so many reviews on juice diets (only fruits and veg) and almost all participants reported severe hair loss one month after the diet. I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN! I have little hair as it is and I don't want to go bald!!!
Since I'm adding protein in my diet, do you think I will still lose my hair??

thank you so much!! please help me out

Replies

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Of course your hair is going to fall out after 60 days of not eating.

If you make it to 60 days, which you won't, because come on? 60 days of starving yourself? really?
  • Of course your hair is going to fall out after 60 days of not eating.

If you make it to 60 days, which you won't, because come on? 60 days of starving yourself? really?

There are many people who are on a 1000 calorie deficit for long periods of time, and they happen to be fine :) I just want to change my binge habits, and I feel that liquids keep me full and I don't have to constantly think about food.
    I just wanted to know why hair loss occurs and how to mitigate that.

Does it help that I"m adding in protein to my diet?
  • JenniDaisy
    How many calories exactly are you planning on eating a day?
  • 1000 calories, but I'm going to be working out too
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    60 days is a wild long time to juice! Maybe shorten it to a week or two max ?
  • Okay I'm usually not a fan of fad diets and stuff like the lemon detox, etc. But I have calculated the days left until I go on holidays and I am getting kind of desperate now.
    After 60 days I'm going to resume eating normally. but with the deficit.

I just want to figure out what exactly causes the hair loss. Because it seems strange, since a liquid diet is basically the same as a solid one but in liquidy form if you know what I mean.

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Start eating some real food and go and see a Doctor
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    Of course it is possible to have a liquid diet and not have your hair fall out - as long as you are taking in a reasonable number of calories and reasonable nutrition - same as anyone eating a diet of solid food.

Some people manage on liquid diets indefinitely - usually those who cannot swallow solid food and are tube fed with Nutricia or similar.

If you are going to liquify everything in a blender and have plenty of liquid fruit, vegetables, meat, eggs, etc and maybe some Sustagen or such like as well - sure, in theory, it could be a nutritious and balanced diet.

In practice, you will get fed up with it in no time - you will get fed up with drinking blended everything and you will get fed up with the time and effort it requires to do so.

and at the end of the 60 days, then what? - how are you going to keep the weight off after that?
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    You are already tiny.

Please go see a doctor you need help.
  • JenniDaisy
    HAHAHAH! OK, if in 60 days you've stuck to a 1000 cal a day juice fast, with exercising and not been hospitalised, I will give you a wig made of my hair.

I refuse to take you seriously as long you are being ridiculous.

ETA: I've looked through your posts and you have admitted to having an eating disorder. Please seek medical help.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    A 60 day liquid diet is extreme. Hair loss is caused by you not getting things you need. Frankly, if you only have that long until you go on holiday, you should have started earlier. 1000 calories a day with exercise is far too little. Your whole plan is unsustainable, unhealthy and frankly silly.

ETA: and for F sake, you're 18 years old and 117lb. Knock this unhealthy and damaging issue with food on the head NOW.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    The weight you want to be will put you in the underweight section of your BMI.

You claim you want to build lean muscle mass that won't happen at 1000 calorie deficit, also building lean muscle mass will put you over 105lbs you do realise this?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    I don't agree with what you are trying to do. Fast fixes are usually a disaster. Take things slow but sure, and watch your macros so you're sure you're getting your nutrients and vitamins. If you have thin hair at 18 yrs old, you have a problem already and should see a doctor, because you're not eating right. Stay away from the latest fad and do your health a favor. Best. :flowerforyou:
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Please please go and see your doctor. I've read some of your other posts and you need medical help.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    It sounds like you're asking people in the forums to enable your disordered eating and reinforce your distorted self-image. I'm glad to see so many are seeing it clearly and I join them in strongly recommending that you get help. This is no way to live, you deserve BETTER.