Optinions on Hot Peppers

Options
I eat Jalapenos on my Subway subs. I love spicy foods in general.
The thing is, I hear that it spikes your metabolism. Which is a plus for me.

Any truth to that?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Nah, pretty sure it's been debunked. I still put them on everything because they're damn tasty.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I dont think it matters either way.

If they do then.... Bonus :)

if not they are failry low cal veg thats packs full on flavour

win win

:smile:
  • dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I dont think it matters either way.

If they do then.... Bonus :)

if not they are failry low cal veg thats packs full on flavour

win win

:smile:

Unfortunately, if they are pickled, they are full of sodium.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I don't think they do anything with metabolism. I did read somewhere that the capsaicin (stuff that makes peppers hot) in them works as a natural pain killer, though.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    I'm not sure. I have read lots online that says things like hot peppers, curry, etc increase your metabolism. Only thing you can do is try it and see if it has an impact for you (as long as it doesn't bother your stomach). Take care
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Nope.
    But you should still put them on everything.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider a Jalepeno a hot pepper.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I think "spikes" might be a little strong, but eating spicy food does raise your metabolism slightly more than eating bland food will. But it's negligible. About the same difference as drinking ice water vs. tepid water.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Actually it does spike your metabolism a little bit by causing thermogenesis. It's the capsaicinoids that do this. Apparently they also can relieve pain. With that said though most people don't eat enough to have a significant spike and it works more for those who don't eat spicy foods on a regular basis.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I don't think they do anything with metabolism. I did read somewhere that the capsaicin (stuff that makes peppers hot) in them works as a natural pain killer, though.

The capsaicin will open your capillaries and make you flush but that is not the same as raising your metabolism.

I am a wimp when it comes to hot peppers. Anything hotter than a jalapeno and I can't taste the food, all I "taste" is the heat.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but they make everything so much better!