Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hey guys,
I was wondering if I can get some advice on heart rate monitors.
What have you all used and would recommend?!

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What are you intending on using it for? As in, what sort of activities do you do?
  • anviljenkins
    anviljenkins Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have a WAHOO TICKR and use it with an IPhone 5s, has worked well for me so far.

Bill
  • shiec92
    shiec92 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Well at the moment just walking/jogging but I'm getting a new gym membership so it'll be a range of things including swimming and classes :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Well at the moment just walking/jogging but I'm getting a new gym membership so it'll be a range of things including swimming and classes :)

I kind of meant are you intending on using it as a calorie counter or as a training device. Sounds like the answer to that question is yes.

In that case:

For walking, probably not worthwhile as your HR doesn't get high enough to be a useful proxy for calorie consumption
    Running is reasonably useful, although more usefully set up to help guide your pace
    Swimming - Polars I've generally found work in the pool but the difficulty I'd found is keeping the strap tight enough to stay in place when i kick off. If you're wearing a one piece then you may have more success
    Classes - Pointless as the HR gong anaerobic renders the calorie approximation even less meaningful than it would have been normally