Total Downer

Options
So my BFF's wedding is in 6 weeks and of course I am a bridesmaid. Our dresses are okay, but just typical tea length bridemaids dresses. (Although she insistes they are SOOOO CUTE and that we'll be able to wear the again. Blah blah blah...) She picks them out at Priscilla of Boston, and with taxes and shipping they come to just over $300 :noway: I was pretty mad. Put it this way, its half the price of my actual wedding dress. Ridiculous.

So I go in back in DECEMBER to have my fitting. The girl taking the measurements is pulling the tape measure entirely too tight and obviously not gettig accurate measurements. When she's all done she says, "Okay, we're going to order you a size 8." An 8?? I normally wear a 12 in normal clothes, and a 10 in bridesmaids dresses. She insists that their sizing is very different and the 8 will be just right. So kicking and screaming I order the 8.

The dress arrives today. Its too small. Now I not only have to pay a bunch of money to get the stupid thing let out, I also feel uber fat.

I hate bridesmaid dresses.

Replies

• rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    So my BFF's wedding is in 6 weeks and of course I am a bridesmaid. Our dresses are okay, but just typical tea length bridemaids dresses. (Although she insistes they are SOOOO CUTE and that we'll be able to wear the again. Blah blah blah...) She picks them out at Priscilla of Boston, and with taxes and shipping they come to just over $300 :noway: I was pretty mad. Put it this way, its half the price of my actual wedding dress. Ridiculous.

So I go in back in DECEMBER to have my fitting. The girl taking the measurements is pulling the tape measure entirely too tight and obviously not gettig accurate measurements. When she's all done she says, "Okay, we're going to order you a size 8." An 8?? I normally wear a 12 in normal clothes, and a 10 in bridesmaids dresses. She insists that their sizing is very different and the 8 will be just right. So kicking and screaming I order the 8.

The dress arrives today. Its too small. Now I not only have to pay a bunch of money to get the stupid thing let out, I also feel uber fat.

I hate bridesmaid dresses.
  • Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    :grumble: :grumble:
    I hate that! They always make you order the wrong size so you can pay to have it altered! I wouldn't alter it yet though - especially if you are trying to lose weight...

Is your friend from Boston? I am from the Boston area....
  • ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    is it WAY too small? Maybe you could make it a goal to fit into it!! Up the crunches and see if you can do it?
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best honey!!!! Dont feel let down/hurt/fat use this as inspiration to work harder. It takes about ten or so lbs to drop a size, and in six weeks if you do intense cardio and toning and a colorically balanced diet you will drop at least to a ten sweetie. And I always hear of spanx and how great they work, so maybe try that????
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    No, we're from a city about 90 miles northwest of Chicago. Right now she's living in Dallas. She went to the Priscilla Store down there. Ridiculously expensive stuff.

I got my dress at David's Bridal, had it altered a bit to be unique, and I get complements all the time. It makes me laugh when girls spend THOUSANDS on their wedding dresses at places just because of the name on the label. I'm like, "You do know that you're the only one who sees the label, right?"

On top of the dress being expensive, the shoes had to be custom dyed and were $65 in total. So I'm already almost $400 into this outfit that I'm going to wear ONCE before it goes to the Goodwill. And now I have to get alterations.

I hope I can just lose a few more pounds, but it would be out of my upper half and I don't have alot left to lose there. I'm a Pear and just trying to get rid of the lower abs and thighs at this point.
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    aww honey, idk what to tell you other than it sucks! :ohwell: i say try to make it your goal to fit it, but idk how realistic that is because idk how too small it is, good luck with things!:smile:
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    you say the wedding is in 6 weeks? Will 8 pounds do it? with the help of 'spanx"? Just a thought.
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    UGH i know the feeling
    my friends wedding was in dec and our dresses were 300$ and our sash was 45
    compliments of davids bridal!

we got our dresses in like march...but me and her sister decided to go on a crazy liquid fast to get skinny well our last fitting was in october...and we had lost so much weight that they were so baggy and ugly on it...hahah

so we got them smaller...too much drama haha
    anyways we ended up getting them to small...so 2 weeks before her wedding we did a liquid fast again and lost 15 pounds for the wedding hahah and the dresses fit amazing!!

BUT im so not promoting liquid fast!
    all we drank was water and protien shakes
    and worked out way too much!