help for my manfriend

Options
2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Losing the weight will probably have the biggest impact.

My dad's doctor told him to lose 15 pounds, take fish oil supplements and eat oats. It can't hurt to get him eating Cheerios and oatmeal more regularly! Unfortunately my dad ended up on Lipitor because he refused to change pretty much anything and didn't lose the weight. :grumble:

Same doctor recommended the plant sterols to my mom. Her cholesterol is on the high side of the "good" range, and it was suggested as a protective measure to keep it from going up further. Not sure if it reduced her cholesterol or just kept it from going up more. I can't think of the brand name, but there are butter-type spreads and peanut butter in the supermarket that have plant sterols, and you can take it as a supplement as well.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Small changes will be easier to manage than and more realistic. If he's already active then probably 2500 calories a day in for slow/steady weight loss. (Sometimes I hate men LOL.)

Happy hour might be something he should limit to every now and then, and when he goes having less of the bar food wouldn't hurt!
    Thanks for the input! He does take fish oil now but I really think the biggest issue is probably the few extra pounds and about a decade of eating like a frat boy- he has a small breakfast small healthy lunch then five beers and some nachos, wings, and mozzarella sticks with his buddies at happy hour....He really just needs to break those habits.

He is already quite active and exercises about four days a week- biking, running, and some lifting. I think losing the 20lbs will probably be the trick.

Anyone heard of these new cholesterol lowering supplements that contain plant sterols and stanols? I'd never heard of that before but it has come up in all the research I've done so far.

Agree on the hating men sometimes....I just did out his numbers and oh my goodness he can eat so much and still lose 20 lbs in 4 months or so! Grrr jealous! You're right, it won't happen all at once. But hopefully this will be a step in the right direction. He is not the first man I've met who can be very stubborn about making healthy changes, so I'm hoping this will encourage him.