sushi calorie counts

Options
Cardio4Cupcakes
Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
For all you sushi fans, how do you log rolls? Common rolls like california, yum yum, etc are a dime a dozen in MFP database, but I know my local places have their own rolls. Do you just log each ingredient and guesstimate the amount?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be of little help- I only eat basic sushi- no specialty rolls AT ALL.

So I tend to pick a handful of the same roll- log them ALL- figure out what the average is and then pick the roll that's closest to the average.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie. I'm a sushi *kitten* and I eat it in disgusting amounts. I don't bother to log.

I don't eat anything else all day and I work out for over an hour burning anywhere from 800-1000 calories and then.......i have a free for all lol
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Is there a way you can do it by brand eg. Tokyo Express, Edo Japan, etc?

Then just weigh it out and go from there. That's usually what I do.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I use an average entry. I know California rolls are like 350 calories per roll, for example, and I pretty much only eat the basic ones (salmon avocado, or just salmon or tuna).
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be of little help- I only eat basic sushi- no specialty rolls AT ALL.

So I tend to pick a handful of the same roll- log them ALL- figure out what the average is and then pick the roll that's closest to the average.

I do the same myself...
    If I do a roll, then I usually go about 500 calories

If it has mayo, or cream cheese in it...
    Then I usually assume 800 - 1000 calories
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Wow, now I am going to have sushi for lunch, and probably not track it. Thanks!
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

I do the same myself...
    If I do a roll, then I usually go about 500 calories

If it has mayo, or cream cheese in it...
    Then I usually assume 800 - 1000 calories

I'm with the sushi *kitten* above, although I do log, I tend to not eat, and then go overboard and try to exercise as much as possible. I guessitmate the rest like this.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about this myself. Thanks everyone for all the inputs
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie. I'm a sushi *kitten* and I eat it in disgusting amounts. I don't bother to log.

I don't eat anything else all day and I work out for over an hour burning anywhere from 800-1000 calories and then.......i have a free for all lol

I pretty much don't eat all day either- and I make it a point to ONLY go to all you can eat places so I feel like I'm not wasting my time on little 30 dollars of 4 roll sushi joints. FTS.

I do try to log just to know that's why my numbers are really "off" but I don't' sweat it... like. at.all.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    If you're going to get specialty/house rolls then it's better to guestimate the ingredients and log them individually if you're trying to be specific. I usually get salmon/tuna/avocado or something of the sort so it's relatively easy to log.
    But when I'm feeling froggy, my favorite local sushi place has a house roll called the "Steeler Roll"- it's friggin delicious. Has deep fried eel and some other goodies in it. When I order that I usually log a roll that's similiar and log the extra the fixins like the fried eel and what not on their own.
  • Cayyou
    Options
    I go through and log every ingredient when its not a 'typical roll'. If it is something that I do often, I made a recipe out of it so I can easily do it again. I have recently only been getting the normal rolls though - sashimi, tuna, salmon, tuna avocado, etc. because the specialty rolls typically have fried or mayo based stuff and thats a killer.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i find listings that have per piece as an option, because rolls come in different sizes in different restaurants. i use my best esitimate to choose the listings from comparable restaurants, like the one i go to has a similar menu to a popular chain.

i usually spend about 600-650 calories when i go to sushi for lunch.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    IS ABOUT 40 CALORIES PER OUNCE AN OK ESTIMATE?