Cutting Sugar for Fast Weight Loss

Options
It all began with Youtube. Yes, youtube ladies and gentlemen. I was searching for women who were of similar size, height and stature that had been successful with their weightloss. For informational purposed I am 5'7, 197 pds and thick statured. I wear a size 12 jean ( which some may consider "small for that weight) and a medium to large in most tops. Most of my weight is held in my bust, hips and thighs.

On with this, I was researching those similar to me that had lost large amounts of weight without "fad" dieting. I came across a girl who explained that she was not on a strict exercise regime and she did not count calories but that she still managed to reach her weight loss goals. ( At this point, I almost clicked off of her video completely.) However, I was intrigued. The girl credited her weigtloss to the elimination of one simple component in her diet. SUGAR. I thought to myself- too strict, too impossible, too unsweet- NO THANKS.

BEAR WITH ME HERE.

At some point ,I decided to try no sugar and in the first day I realized exactly why this diet works. When you eliminate sugar and sugar only, you essentially eliminate massive amounts of useless calories. For history purposes, I started my weightloss journey for the umpteenth time in late April of 2014. I worked out and exercised 3x a week atleast and restricted my diet immensely to anywhere between 1200 and 1700 calories. I was previously not counting at all and in a rather sedentary profession. I managed to drop 12 pounds by June 30. Beginning at 215 this placed me at about 203 pounds. For the next almost 10 weeks, I maintained. Which is great! Right? For me, Wrong. I was going for weightloss at the time and totally stumped about why I couldn't "break 200".

I went on the "No Sugar" Diet on September 2, 2014 at about 202 pounds. I went on this regime and quickly came to the conclusion that no sugar meant " nothing white, no excess carbs, no soda, no cakes, no pop, no candy, and no almost all packaged food. In addition you are eliminating white rice, bread, potatoes and all other things of that nature in excess. However, this plan is not low carb. "No Sugar" or " low sugar" regimes actually remind me of something close to whole foods regimes. In my case, I was forced into cooking my own meals within the first week and coming up with original ideas of how to include certain things in my diets. Don't get me wrong, I definitely "cheated", but only in moderation and suprisingly enough, after the first day or two; I felt no need to cheat on this diet. I did not even crave sugar and previously sugary favorites became excessively sweet to me. In addition, the scarce "cheats" that I would succumb too, often caused a belly ache, causing me to cravy my next meal- which would often be full of fiber. I began to find my sugar sources from better sources such as apples, pears, grapes, peaches, plums, oranges and bananas. None of that was restricted to me because I considered myself capable of consuming naturally occuring sugars. This does not include honey, agave nectar, or artificial sweeteners.

As the days rolled on, I began to have much more energy and better sleep, even on the nights I lost a few hours. I often awoke feeling "awake" rather than bogged down and have since had energy to do things that I may not otherwise partake in. Such as household chores, laundry, taking my kid to the park, etc. The best part if the freedom. I still have an ice cream cone or a burger with white bread, or a plate of pasta about 2x week. I do not disregard my diet for entire days or over eat, but I do allow that freedom. Often times, I find that I might have preferred the "lower sugar" version- which might have been frozen yogurt and and burger with no cheese on whole grain bread with mustard.

All in all, I HAVE LOST 5 POUNDS in 2 weeks after a 10 week long plateau and I have never felt better. I do not feel deprived and this is honestly the closest I have ever been to fully embracing my new regime as a lifestyle. Nothing is lost in this situation, but all has been gained.

Please comment if you are interested in extra details, what I ate and how I fed my family without depriving them.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you found a way for yourself to maintain a calorie deficit. You sound like you are on your way to your goals.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you've found something that works for you and that you worked through a plateau.

However, I write this for those who are desperate and trying to search for answers. I really don't think it was the sugar that was stalling your weight loss efforts. More than likely, by cutting out sugar, you made room for better quality foods. Sugar is nothing more than a carb. So, in eliminating sugar you lowered your carb intake. The weight loss is probably not all fat loss and a majority of it was water weight.

Please understand that I'm not trying to put down your success. I just don't want the "sugar is evil" theme to make others think this is the way to weight loss. There is nothing wrong with sugar unless you have a medical condition which would cause you to be more aware of it.

Also, by writing "better quality foods", I'm not saying everyone should try "clean eating". A flexible diet approach with a moderate calorie deficit while eating foods you enjoy will work for almost everyone unless there is an underlying medical condition.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    congratulations... you discovered what's otherwise known as "the south beach diet."
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    @IronPlayground

I respect your comment but consider this. There are about 16 calories in every teaspoon of sugar. Every teaspoon of sugar is about 4 grams. Your average can of soda contains anywhere from 23-40 grams of sugar. Which translates to about an extra 80-160 calories. This is just one example.

By eliminating sugar, I am reducing my calorie intake drastically and only ridding myself of the bad stuff. My current regime consists of mainly whole foods ofcourse and that has definitely been a great jump start. But it's important that people understand that most foods that are not "whole" such as frozen meals, package cereals and canned foods contain massive amounts of sugar to preserve and enhance their taste. In my case and in most others, eliminating sugar= eliminate processed foods and excess sweets= eliminating calories=weightloss. In fact, I'm pretty sure- we are saying the same thing. I am not saying sugar is bad. In fact, I note multiple times in which I did completely indulge in sugar on this diet. However, I have been trying for about 5 years to lose weight with no success. Sugar is not evil, but when taken in excess it is in fact the primary source of obesity, diabetes and heart disease. I think it's okay to tell people to cut back. I think total elimination is however completely unmaintainable.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    congratulations... you discovered what's otherwise known as "the south beach diet."

Sorry. This isn't the south beach diet. Similar? yes. But the same? no.

The South Beach diet requires it's user to eliminate fruit, bread and rice. This does not require those things. I eat 3-4 servings of sugar daily and atleast 1-2 servings of grain or oats in the form of bread or tortilla. I only eliminated the white, refined versions of those items. In addition, I only limit dehydrated fruit that has been packed- in comparison to those that I dehydrate myself. Again, nothing strict about this regime. I still have my indulgences and I still see results.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    I appreciate your comments. It seems that sugar has given me an outlet to rid my body of excess calories.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Finally someone who is being intelligent with cutting out some food.

Sure, it's not necessary, but refined shugar has no nutritional value, just empty calories.

Congratulations on your loss. I hope you achieve your goals. :D
  • Rskaer
    Options
    Fast weight loss has not happened for me since before I was under 200 lbs. However...I read all these message boards and everyone saying oh do this, do that, but I have come to believe that for me there Is a direct correlation In my weight and my sugar Intake as well. Several years ago I started out well over the 250's with daily exercise and counting my calories I got down to the 160s (where I currently am now), then I plateaued, I was stuck. I didn’t understand...I was still counting my calories and I was still exercising so why couldn’t I get any smaller. Then I remembered when I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes and was required to be on a diabetic diet as well as take Insulin. Every time I was pregnant I would lose weight during the pregnancy following this diabetic diet. It was easy for me to follow because my babies health was at stake, but as soon as the pregnancy was over I would go back to my poor eating habits and the weight would come back plus some. Let me just say my youngest child Is 11 yrs old now and I HAVE NO MEDICAL CONDITIONS, I am not pre-diabetic, my cholesterol Is not high, my blood pressure, thyroid...everything Is fine. however If I maintain a 1500 calorie a day diet and eat those 1500 calories a day any way I want too I wIll Inevitably see my weight go back up. If I maintain that same 1500 calorie a day diet and keep my sugar/carbs between 50-70 grams a day I lose weight every time.

So when I watch my sugar/carb Intake I can get down Into the 140s with the same calorie restrictions I live with daily. My personal downfall Is I have an unhealthy relationship with food and emotional eating so while I still manage to stay around 1500 calories a day I Inevitably fall off with watching my carbs and sugar and end up right here where I am now, back In the 160s. It’s not because I don’t know what to do, It because I do not have the discipline to do It consistently. Anyway I am getting off the subject, my point Is If this works for you stick with It. Everyone likes to tell people what they should be doing, but for me I know my body (even though I have no medical conditions) responds differently to sugar and carbs so you are going to be my Inspiration to try and get back to selecting the foods that keep me In that 50-70 grams of carbs a day so I can once again start the road back to the size I know I am most comfortable at. Thanks, and good luck with your journey.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Sure, it's not necessary, but refined shugar has no nutritional value, just empty calories.
    There is no such thing as an empty calorie. A calorie is a unit of energy that's it. It provides you with energy which your body needs. Also if all we did was eat food for nutritional value we might as well eat liquidised goop from a tube. I also eat for taste and enjoyment and for social occasions
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Sugar provides fast acting energy which is needed by some.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    @IronPlayground

I respect your comment but consider this. There are about 16 calories in every teaspoon of sugar. Every teaspoon of sugar is about 4 grams. Your average can of soda contains anywhere from 23-40 grams of sugar. Which translates to about an extra 80-160 calories. This is just one example.

By eliminating sugar, I am reducing my calorie intake drastically and only ridding myself of the bad stuff. My current regime consists of mainly whole foods ofcourse and that has definitely been a great jump start. But it's important that people understand that most foods that are not "whole" such as frozen meals, package cereals and canned foods contain massive amounts of sugar to preserve and enhance their taste. In my case and in most others, eliminating sugar= eliminate processed foods and excess sweets= eliminating calories=weightloss. In fact, I'm pretty sure- we are saying the same thing. I am not saying sugar is bad. In fact, I note multiple times in which I did completely indulge in sugar on this diet. However, I have been trying for about 5 years to lose weight with no success. Sugar is not evil, but when taken in excess it is in fact the primary source of obesity, diabetes and heart disease. I think it's okay to tell people to cut back. I think total elimination is however completely unmaintainable.

Your soda example is an example of extremes that most people who oppose sugar like to talk in.

Also, you should have already been reducing your calorie intake in order to lose weight. Again, you most likely just lowered your carb intake by reducing sugar. Which, in turn, would allow for water weight reduction. If you weren't paying attention to macros before and just trying to stay under a calorie level, then this would be the result when taking in a high carb day while staying under calories.

I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm trying to get those reading this post to understand that the method your using isn't necessary and to do some research from credible sources before jumping into any type of eating protocol.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I started cutting out sugar at the beginning of the week, but had been building up to it for a long time by cutting down on chocolate, cutting out fizzy drinks etc.

I don't think sugar is evil, but I do think that a lot of high-sugar foods have low nutritional value and are often processed or have a high fat content as well.

I also do really believe in the "spike" in blood sugar that sugar causes - already my energy levels are much higher in under a week.

Having said that, I ate a LOT of sugar and I knew I would have to give it up and reintroduce it gradually because I was addicted. I don't ever want to cut out sugar completely, or even white carbs.

Anyway - fantastic achievement, well done!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't bad. Overeating too much of it is. Lots of people see weight loss immediately from cutting sugar for a couple of main reasons:

1. Calorie reduction
    2. Reduction of glycogen storage and water

Several countries all around the world revolve their diets around sugar based products. Why aren't they obese and run down? Because they eat less than the average American.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    BEAR WITH ME HERE.

No
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Your baby is soooo cute!!!!!

I am so happy this is working for you!!!! I cannot stand when people think that all people are created equal when it comes to losing weight!!!! I stayed at 1200 calories for over a year, I worked out hard and nothing :( I changed it up and did low carbs and the weight started coming off. It is whatever works for you and way to find something!!!! I am very happy for you and keep up the good work :)
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    BEAR WITH ME HERE.

No

Lol :laugh:
  • marikapedia
    Options
    Nice! I think Jackie Warner's whole premise is about cutting sugar as well (though she does allow for some fruits). I read "This is Why You're Fat" and found it to be pretty informative on the whole Sugar is Evil tip. If I had more willpower, I'd probably be following her plan.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    By eliminating sugar, I am reducing my calorie intake drastically

Exactly. It has nothing to do with the sugar and everything to do with those calories you cut.
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different, but I found that cutting way down on sugar, simple carbs, and processed foods, the weight has been coming off MUCH more quickly and easily.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not evil, but when taken in excess it is in fact the primary source of obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

However you want to cut calories is up to you. This statement is just wrong, though.

Primary cause of obesity is overeating.

Primary cause of Type II diabetes is unknown, but it has been correlated to obesity among other things. Correlation != causation.

Primary cause of heart disease depends on the type of heart disease. Some is genetic, some is caused by previous infections, etc. None is known to be caused by sugar consumption, though some studies show a correlation. Again, correlation != causation.