New study: salt not strongly related to high blood pressure

Options
jonnythan
jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
http://ajh.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/09/03/ajh.hpu164

"Considering their squared partial correlation coefficient, age and BMI were the most important parameters relating to SBP level. Salt intake was not associated with SBP in either sex after multiple adjustments.

CONCLUSIONS BMI was the main contributory modifiable factor of BP level after multiple adjustments."

Replies

• Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Never mind, was totally reading too much into it... :embarassed:

This is good news for me though :smile:
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I saw an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown years ago that said basically the same thing. High blood pressure is correlated to genetics, and those with the genetic disposition should watch their salt intake carefully. Everyone else can eat salt within reason without fear that it's going to /cause/ HBP.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I saw an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown years ago that said basically the same thing. High blood pressure is correlated to genetics, and those with the genetic disposition should watch their salt intake carefully. Everyone else can eat salt within reason without fear that it's going to /cause/ HBP.

I thought this was pretty well known. Some people see a significant rise in BP with too much sodium, others do not.

But, I doubt this study is the final word. There will be another study and then another.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I saw this article earlier today and was glad it is out. I've always eaten a TON of salt and have freakishly low blood pressure. Once, after surgery, my blood pressure was 95/45 and the nurse asked me if I was still alive lol. I crave salt, and I think that my body really needs more of it than normal. My parents and grandparents on both sides ate salt-heavy foods and they all lived into their 90's. I've never believed the salt/blood pressure myth.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My OB read a study about this when I was pregnant three years ago and had pre eclampsia. Salt didn't change my bp either way.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    So basically I can't eat too much salt cuz my mom has high blood pressure? Crap. :indifferent:

Well, at least I'm losing weight... hopefully that might help fight it away? :frown:

Ok... must. eat. less. salt. :sad: