Protein Shakes

Options
I want to get stuff to make protein shakes, but not sure what to buy. I know some drink them to bulk up in muscle, but I want to lose a significant amount of weight, but also tone up. What do you take?

Replies

• yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I do a shake that is nutritious and very easy for someone on the go. I do about a cup of soymilk, a half cup of greek yogurt, a scoop of soy protein (it is supposed to be better absorbed by females) and fruits. Sometimes I'll do a vanilla yogurt, I'll add dry oats, or even frozen fruit instead of fresh. It is filling and delicious.
  • kim0913
    Options
    I personally love the myoplex shakes in the morning for breakfast. I mix them in the blender and add a tsp of peanut butter. Very good!!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Go to GNC or another health food store and get 100% Whey Powder. That will give you the protein you need from a shake and keep it low calorie since regular whey powder isn't loaded with carbs like some protein powder.

You can mix it with whatever you want. After I do a good workout, I mix my powder with Gatorade, and it comes out to be about 250-300 calories for the shake.
  • thomasmarnold
    Options
    I use EAS Whey Protein powder and mix it with fat free skim milk. the skim milk is only 90 calories and the EAS whey is 130 calories per scoop. You can get a 3 pound bag of Choc. Van. or Straw. at Sams club for around $25.00.
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have GNC 100% whey and protien every day.(chocolate. the strawberry smells like feet)
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like the Muscle Milk Light. It is lower calorie and half the protein of the regular MM. As a powder, it is easy to store and transport and prep on the go. 195 calories per shake. And, if I can make another recommendation, there is a water bottle called "Blender Bottle" that I absolutely love. It has this whisk ball inside that stirs everything up and whisks out any lumps in the powder. I have bought two of these and think they are the coolest thing.

--Carter
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I drink Pure Whey Protein in chocolate. I do 1 scoop in the blender, half a banana, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp PB2 and a few ice cubes. So good after a workout!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I use Vega protein powder and add in half a banana and three large spoon fulls of greek yogurt.
  • alicialovesyou
    Options
    I use Premium Nutrition protein shake. It has 160 calories, 30g of protein, and 1g of sugar!
  • countjackula
    Options
    I want to get stuff to make protein shakes, but not sure what to buy. I know some drink them to bulk up in muscle, but I want to lose a significant amount of weight, but also tone up. What do you take?

There's nothing about protein shakes that will inherently make you "bulk up" or "lose weight" or "tone up"! Protein shakes are simply supplements to help you reach your dietary goals -- whether it's because you're low on calories for the day or low on protein. For that reason, they can be used for all the purposes you listed!

- For people bulking up or toning up (i.e., eating more calories per day than their maintenance): Protein shakes are a quick and convenient source of calories in ADDITION to their regular meals.

- For people losing weight (i.e., eating fewer calories per day than maintenance): Protein shakes allow you to add protein to your diet without adding sugars or carbohydrates... which are, unfortunately, too easily found in most of the food we eat.

Regardless of what you drink them for, it's important to keep the nutritional aspects in mind. Protein shakes won't help you LOSE weight if they knock you over your calorie limit for the day. Where they are invaluable, however, is in planning your meals and after your workouts. If your options are (1) a bagel or (2) a protein shake + fruit, the latter makes far more sense. :)

(Also, as for recommendations, I use Optimum Nutrition 100%. Tastes bland but mixes easily.)
  • Bighank7752
    Options
    I use EAS, mix it with some Mootopia (a local high protein skim milk) some mixed frozen fruit and voils. It is about 320 calories as a meal replacement it is hard to beat.

Harold
  • benbidder
    Options
    I just wrote a post similar to this..but. :D I use the Gold Standard brand, I think it is optimum nutrition.. I get the vanilla ice cream flavor. For a morning, when I used to have it as my biggest meal of the day, I would add one scoop of protein powder, half a banana, 5 strawberries and some blueberries, 1Tbsp flax, 1/2C FF plain yogurt and 1/4c oj. Sprinkle of cinnamon on top, it was really yummy and filling. I had mine with a low calorie english muffin and more cinnamon. Not cinnamon sugar, but cinnamon...it is good for your metabolism. :D
    Now, I take half of the vanilla and half of the chocolate and mix that with 1/2c water and 1/2c almond milk. Not too bad really, has good flavor. Mixes well, unlike a lot out there that get clumpy. I use a blender bottle.. :)
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    I have been using the Jarrow Whey Protein. It's all natural, no added hormones, no artificial colors or flavors. And it's affordable at vitacost.com.

Whey digests easier and more readily than soy. The "soy being better absorbed by women" idea is a marketing gimmick. Soy does have nominal amounts of estrogen in it which is theorized to be more bio-usable to women. Not important unless you need more estrogen. Most women do not.

Find what is important to you... are you vegetarian? Lactose intolerant? Do artificial ingredients bother you? Do you want supplements as well as protein?

Lots of different powders address lots of different needs.