Office Exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I work in an office, very long hours. Most days 11-12 hours. 45 minute commute one way.
    I get up at 2 am. Arrive at the office by 3:30. Work out in the office gym for 40 minutes. Walk on my lunch break. Whenever I get up from my desk I walk up and down the stairs. I go for a walk with my dog in evening after I get home.
    Where there is the will, you will find a way.
    BTW, I will be 63 on 9/30. I was morbidly obese when I began here on 3/12/12. I could not walk up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath. I did not begin to even walk until I had lost 90# in October of 2012.
    If I can do it, anyone can do it.
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use half of my lunch break to walk around the office. Also, my office building has only 1 floor, so sometimes I walk to the nearest building, and walk up the stairs :) 20 floors up and down.

I also try not to stay seated for more than 2 hour without giving a quick walk in the office.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i've been googling "desk yoga" to provide some good stretches and mental breaks. i'm not going to comment on the effectiveness of yoga as exercise, but it's less goofy-looking than chair dancing.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My co worker and I try to work out in the office as best we can on lunch- squats, floor work, etc.
    I just try to get up and walk as much as I can. I wear a Jawbone UP to count steps and aim for 10,000 between home and work (luckily, I can get up a lot, as its part of my job to go to different rooms, but I do it a lot)
  • samanthagraessle
    Options
    I know what you mean. And the only stairs in my office are 7 stairs to go to the rest room. So everytime I go to the rest room I do 15-20 wall push ups and do 10-15 squats. Some days I only go to the restroom twice, sometimes I'm drinking lots of water and I make 5 trips. Haha. I also stretch sitting in my seat twice a day during my down time and its slow.
    Here is a link to give a look at!

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/exercise-at-work/10-office-exercises-you-can-do-secretly.htm#page=0
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If you have a stairwell in your building you can go up and down stairs. I've also heard of people doing wall push ups, squats, other body exercises in the bathroom stalls at work - get your workout in a little privacy!
    Eww. Excercising in a bathroom just seems gross.
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Planks and Dips
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a big call center at a cubicle. I would get away with 10 lb. dumbbells, doing tricep extensions, bicep curls, shoulder raises, overhead press, random things. I don't think I got humongously buff doing it, but I got a little extra bump in my arms, kept the blood / metabolism flowing, felt better about my burrito on lunch, etc.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    May sound strange, but I went to the home improvement store and got a short chunk of big PVC pipe. I taped/glued fabric to it for traction and stuck it under my desk. I can at least slip off my shoes, roll it back and forth and keep my legs moving somewhat. Less expensive than an under-desk cycle and less chance of bumping my knees.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    If your office will allow it, you could get an exercise ball to sit on at your desk instead of a chair. Keeping yourself balanced properly will continuously work your core.
    I was going to say this as well.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You said you were anemic. Any chance you can improve that? Would eating more red meats and taking iron supplements make you less anemic? (Ask your physician.)
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    All the people who workout during work .... what you do about the sweat :S
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Babywipes or the new Ban Body Wipes are very nice.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Most jobs give you breaks and a lunch. In my eyes, no one "needs" 30 mins to eat lunch. I take 10, and walk or run the other 20. I actually come into work earlier so I can take an hour lunch to exericse.

No they don't. I don't get breaks and if stuff comes up I don't get a lunch. I work very hard at taking my lunch but there are times of the year (tax season) when it simply doesn't happen and lots of people I know are in the same boat.

I really thinking taking my lunch and walking for 30 minutes or so makes me more productive.
  • Zoe_Rebecca
    Zoe_Rebecca Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've also heard of people doing wall push ups, squats, other body exercises in the bathroom stalls at work - get your workout in a little privacy!

Never thought of doing that.. be good when I have a shared office. Good way to get even just a few minutes of burn when I can :)
  • Zoe_Rebecca
    Options
    You said you were anemic. Any chance you can improve that? Would eating more red meats and taking iron supplements make you less anemic? (Ask your physician.)

Yeah there's lots of ways to help.. I've had to have regular blood tests for years as I was borderline and started eating more red meat and I stayed borderline but in recent months its become rapidly worse especially when everyone in my household has become vegetarian and hates the smell of meat cooking all of a sudden. I also can't take iron supplements because of some skin medication I'm on :/ so all the doctor can do is keep checking up that I'm not getting worse and have me try to eat more iron which I do
  • Zoe_Rebecca
    Options

That's what I always wondered, seems gross haha xD
  • Zoe_Rebecca
    Options
    Sorry to sound mean but it is an excuse. I work 7:30 to 4:00 everyday. I have 2 kids under 5. I still manage to get in 10km, 12,000 minimum a day. Most jobs give you breaks and a lunch. In my eyes, no one "needs" 30 mins to eat lunch. I take 10, and walk or run the other 20. I actually come into work earlier so I can take an hour lunch to exericse.

And if you are anemic and want to sleep you really should see a doctor about that.

Well done for managing that! Unfortunately different people have different situations and energy levels.. I get up half 5 each day and like I said don't have energy when I get back. Also don't have a lunch break as I am an admin and finance assistant so need to answer calls all throughout the day, but I walk for over half an hour to my bus stop in the morning every day so I'm still getting considerably more cardio than I would.

I have, tiredness and fatigue are some of the most common symptoms of it, obviously I do what I can to make things better which is why I'm still looking for exercise even though I can sometimes get out of breath walking across the office (I'm not unfit either)