How do I get a normal relationship with food back?

Options
Post eating disorder recovery, I'm a healthy weight I eat enough now and no longer purge/starve.
But I still am scared of so many foods & cannot eat them, I spend so much time planning meals fearing social occasions incase it's off limits food.
Every time I try to eat unhealthily I end up making myself sick.
I've now introduced organic peanut butter, 85% dark chocolate, cacao covered mulberries, nakd bars & rude health granola for treats, but I can't eat actual junk.
I so badly want doughnuts, cakes, normal chocolate.. Not every day but as treats when my family buy them, or friends have sleepovers I'm always left out.
How can I change this? I want normality back!

Replies

• skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Are you still working with a dietician or counsellor - they could probably help coach you through how to incorporate food you would like to eat and assist you with the mentality of "safe" food and "off limits" food. There is a lady who works with ED patients and is a dietician who rights a blog and there may be some good advice on her site foryou too. She will also respond to emails and comments on her webisite. The link is http://dropitandeat.blogspot.ca/

I wish you success in your continued recovery to a health relationship with food.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    This is exactly the kind of thing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders can help you with. We cannot.

You're too young to be on this site. Try Spark Teens or an ED recovery site.

Until you're able to eat the junk food you crave, concentrate on an adequate amount of calories to nourish yourself...and get to a counselor.

Good luck.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Even if somebody here had your answer it would be seem irresponsible of them to administer it via a forum.

Please do not let any well intentioned advise steer you in the wrong direction just because it is or isn't what you want to hear.

Aside from the answer to your direct question cudos to you for working on getting your issue resolved. Keep up the hard work. Life is worth it !
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    CBT therapist would be best for you.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Glad you are in recovery! Keep working with your therapist in order to learn how to have a healthy relationship with food again.

No one here can answer your question, as it only should be answered by a health care professional.

Keep at your recovery and attend group therapy meetings on a regular basis.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Post eating disorder recovery, I'm a healthy weight I eat enough now and no longer purge/starve.
    But I still am scared of so many foods & cannot eat them, I spend so much time planning meals fearing social occasions incase it's off limits food.
    Every time I try to eat unhealthily I end up making myself sick.
    I've now introduced organic peanut butter, 85% dark chocolate, cacao covered mulberries, nakd bars & rude health granola for treats, but I can't eat actual junk.
    I so badly want doughnuts, cakes, normal chocolate.. Not every day but as treats when my family buy them, or friends have sleepovers I'm always left out.
    How can I change this? I want normality back!

Eating disorder recovery is more than just stopping the "behaviors" (whether that be bingeing and purging, restricting, etc...) it is also about changing your mindset. Did you receive mental health treatment while in recovery? It is wonderful how far you have come. Congratulations. Finding a skilled therapist and dietician that specialize in eating disorders would be a valuable step.