Anytime Fitness

Options
I am looking to join a gym and Anytime Fitness is close by, and since they are a chain and everywhere and 24/7 I think it's a great idea, but I was looking for any input anyone has from this gym? Thanks for the feedback!!

Replies

• jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If it is convenient for you and you like the location/equipment/amenities offered, then it is a good straightforward no frills gym.

HOWEVER, their contracts are very strict, and you can get quite the runaround if you try to legitimately exercise your right to end the contract.

My story: I signed up for a year contract, paid monthly. I ended up relocating 100 miles away 7 months into the contract. There were two AF locations somewhat close to where I relocated, but both were really out of the way of both home and work, and one was super strange (low ceilings, creepy managers, not well maintained).

I pulled out my contract, looked at the clause that allowed me to end it early due to relocation, submitted all of the necessary information to the original location where I signed up, and….got no response. Called and got the runaround, how they lost one of the pieces of paper I’d sent, or the attachment on the email wouldn’t open, etc. I ended up eating the $35/month for 5 months, which luckily wasn’t a huge financial burden for me, but totally sucked.
  • Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had a very different experience from jbee27 in regards to canceling, though my situation was somewhat different. My (now ex-) boyfriend and I signed up on a family plan on March 7th. At the beginning of May, we broke up and kicked him out. We didn't get a chance to go in and cancel him until May 8th, once we'd already been charged for that month. I figured I'd be out his monthly fee plus the $100 cancellation charge.

Come to find out, the $100 fee only applies when canceling the whole account, so taking him off didn't cost me anything. Plus, they were super awesome and applied the $40 I had just paid for him to my next month. I was very happy with the whole thing.

I've been very happy with it. My location is always clean and well-maintained, and there are plenty of machines. I'm sure a lot varies from location to location, though, so I would definitely go check out the one near you to see how it feels.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    An Anytime Fitness recently opened in my town. They have a local Face Book page so I sent a message asking about cost. I got a reply to come in and we can discuss pricing options. If I wanted to do that I would have in the first place. That turned me off so badly I scratched them off my list. I did join at another fitness center. I have a personal policy to never deal with a company that refuses to answer a legitimate question. Had they replied cost can range from X to Y depending on contract length (or whatever) I may have gone there.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I've never belonged to an Anytime gym, but I belonged to a Planet Fitness for over a year. I suspect most of these chains are very similar to each other; otherwise, how would they compete.

I was very happy with PF, but there was very little help in the way of training. I had to do all my own research and plot out my path alone. If I had questions about equipment, I quickly learned what staff members to ask and which ones to avoid.

I now belong to the YMCA, so that I can play racquetball. :-)
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    OP, I think it will vary greatly depending on the location and manager/owner of that location. I happen to belong to an Anytime near my house and LOVE it. That said, my gym owner is crazy anal about keeping things running and super clean. he also vets every person wanting to join so that we don't have sketchy members joining. That's extra good for people like me who work out at 4:15 am. Go see what they have going on, what the vibe is like, ask to meet the owner/manager and you'll know if it's a good fit or not.
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    They are ok, pretty basic as far as equipment but I just couldn't justify spending $40/month for access. Good thing I got $20 reimbursed every month from my insurance provider. Convenience was the only reason I joined
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Reading all your posts I realize just how blessed I am. My little rural town had a 24 hour gym, the kind where there's never any staff there...you are just issued a key. That always scared me and I never joined. Well, the "big city" (sarcasm there if you caught it.) hospital opened a clinic in my town and a small gym along with it. The little 24 hour gym couldn't compete and didn't renew their lease. They called my ambulance squad and said they were shutting down, their lease was up at the end of that month, and that if we wanted anything we could come take it...it being whatever was left in the building. We took EVERYTHING. (even the toilet paper they had left hanging in the bathroom! lol What can I say? We are a vollie unit and a non-profit.) Our ambulance squad now has the most awesome'est gym of any fire department/ambulance squad anywhere! The extra blessing is that I live right across the street from my ambulance hall and as a member I get to use the gym anytime I want/can for FREE!!! Woot! Now I just need to find a personal trainer-type to come give me some advice on what exactly to do with all that equipment. Right now I am doing some stretching, ball/core work, T25 video, treadmill C25K, elliptical and easy weights. (Inclined squat, bicep curl, triceps pull down, and bench press.) All the other stuff is too intimidating to this "underinitiated in gym stuff" girl.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I have belonged to two different Anytime Fitness gyms and had a radically different experience at each one. The first one was clean, well maintained, and had great equipment, and I loved it. That is why when I moved, I joined one in that town. I hated that one: dirty, unresponsive staff, and the equipment was not maintained so multiple machines would be out of order at one time.

I would say definitely visit the one you would like to join, check out the equipment, talk to the staff, see if you can talk to members who already go there, and get a feel for the specific one you would like to join.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Anytime Fitness opened up in my small hometown in March 2013. I joined at that time with a 1 yr contract billed at $45/mo. Last February, my company insurance adopted a wellness program and I converted my membership to the wellness program and now I pay $25/mo.

I enjoy the gym, new, clean, the machine weight area is a bit crowded, but I use the free weight section. I am usually there early morning and am one of maybe 3-4 ppl there.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    the one in my town is amazing. Month to month payments, no contract, cheap, clean, and never crowded. I think it depends on the individual owner though
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    An Anytime Fitness recently opened in my town. They have a local Face Book page so I sent a message asking about cost. I got a reply to come in and we can discuss pricing options. If I wanted to do that I would have in the first place. That turned me off so badly I scratched them off my list. I did join at another fitness center. I have a personal policy to never deal with a company that refuses to answer a legitimate question. Had they replied cost can range from X to Y depending on contract length (or whatever) I may have gone there.

They did that to me as well, that's why I posted this. I'd like to get real reviews before I go in and have to talk to people trying to sell me stuff. (I have social issues haha)
  • alligatorrawr
    Options
    Thank you all!! I will definitely have to go check it out in person! It sounds like any other chain it's good or it's bad! I got spoiled at my last gym. Large private gym 24/7 with only a $17 a month fee. the annual fee was small as well. I guess it's worth checking out, it's right around the block which takes away half of my excuses not to go haha. Thank you all for the feedback!!!
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love my AF!!!! The owners are super involved, tons of personal trainers, group fitness classes (like Zumba, cardio kickboxing, etc), groups that trains for Tough Mudders ... You get the idea! ;) My friend goes to one in another town and rarely sees an employee, no classes, nothing.

So, I guess just utilize the 7 day free trial they offer and see what yours is like.
  • wcroston138
    wcroston138 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I joined Anytime Fitness basically just for access to a squat rack. Our facility is always clean, and the equipment is in top condition. They are a little light in the free weights area - only one squat rack and no dedicated bench press. I try to avoid the high traffic times so I can get my weightlifting done. It has been nice to use in different locations while traveling.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! I will definitely have to go check it out in person! It sounds like any other chain it's good or it's bad! I got spoiled at my last gym. Large private gym 24/7 with only a $17 a month fee. the annual fee was small as well. I guess it's worth checking out, it's right around the block which takes away half of my excuses not to go haha. Thank you all for the feedback!!!

No annual fee w/ Anytime Fitness
  • alligatorrawr
    Options

No annual fee w/ Anytime Fitness

No annual but the start up is $89 =\. Luckily they said they can split it into 2 months for me since I just moved to a new area and just started a new job, (no paycheck for 2 months oof!) I'm checking it out on monday and gonna start the 7 day trial, hopefully it goes well!! thanks everyone
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1 - I don't do contracts period...so ATF would never even be on my radar. I have done contracts with a couple different gyms in the past and always ended up getting the short end of the stick.

2 - I hate corporate gyms in general. I much prefer locally established gyms where I can go in and talk to the actual owner, etc. The gym I go to is locally owned and operated and has two locations in town...the owner is awesome...the owner's wife is awesome...all of their employees are awesome...it's a 24/7 facility and rarely if ever crowded and one of the cleanest and well maintained gyms I've ever had the pleasure of working out in. It's also month to month with no start up fee...just an initial $10 fee for my 24/7 key pass.
  • ItsMeBlue
    ItsMeBlue Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I pulled out my contract, looked at the clause that allowed me to end it early due to relocation, submitted all of the necessary information to the original location where I signed up, and….got no response. Called and got the runaround, how they lost one of the pieces of paper I’d sent, or the attachment on the email wouldn’t open, etc. I ended up eating the $35/month for 5 months, which luckily wasn’t a huge financial burden for me, but totally sucked.
    [/quote]

similar situation for me. i was assured several times that if i were to lose my job or some financial burden was to come down, the manager said she would not hold me accountable for the fees for ending prior ....as it turns out, the owners wife fired her and took over her job and proceeded to deny the conversation took place and refused to give me back the money, which was a severe burden when you lose your job. It depends on whats on paper..don;t take their word for anything..now i'm with planet fitness and they are all over as well..20 bucks a month and they have tanning and massage chairs..so far its been awesome..
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    1 - I don't do contracts period...so ATF would never even be on my radar. I have done contracts with a couple different gyms in the past and always ended up getting the short end of the stick.

2 - I hate corporate gyms in general. I much prefer locally established gyms where I can go in and talk to the actual owner, etc. The gym I go to is locally owned and operated and has two locations in town...the owner is awesome...the owner's wife is awesome...all of their employees are awesome...it's a 24/7 facility and rarely if ever crowded and one of the cleanest and well maintained gyms I've ever had the pleasure of working out in. It's also month to month with no start up fee...just an initial $10 fee for my 24/7 key pass.

I agree on the contracts issue, and the gym you describe sounds great (although the monthly fee is conspicuously absent, which is a consideration for some).

I don't eschew "corporate" gyms per se. My current gym is a nationwide chain. There was no comparison with the other gyms I looked into (one of which was Anytime Fitness) when it came to amenities and sheer volume of equipment, and $25/month isn't bad, even with the nominal start-up fee (unless you only decide to be a member for a few months, of course, since there's no contract). There's also no annual "beautification fee" (or whatever they like to call it).

My particular gym is also relatively new (< 2 years), so that's a plus. It's certainly clean enough for me, but I'm not very fastidious.

Of course, mom & pop operations are great. I have no idea how "awesome" anyone at my gym is. I've been going there for a few months and haven't yet needed to talk to any of the employees. *shrug*
  • alligatorrawr
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all you input!! I went to the gym yesterday and I LOVE it! I signed up for 2 years and have my free session with the trainer today I am so excited!! I really appreciate everyones feedback!