I really like beer

Options
So I love beer. I should preface I am not an alcoholic. I do like to have a beer once in a while after a long day at work however I do not drink everyday. I am also a big time social drinker. With Halloween just around the corner I am slightly concerned about my love of the hops completely throwing me off track. What have been your experiences so far? Have you just completely cut out the booze? Limited yourself to a once a month treat? Started only drinking those low cal girly vodkas (the thought of that one makes me a little nauseous)? Let me know! :drinker:

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I build the beer calories into my day by pre-logging them. I like my beer, too! :drinker:

If you're concerned about a one night blow out, you could cut your calories a little extra every day and save them for "the big day".
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Drink in moderation. A light beer only ranges around 100-120 calories a bottle, but it does nothing to help hit P/F macronutrient targets. I have more fear of butter than beer.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Good beer is one of the great pleasures in life, and life is too short to drink low quality beer. Make it fit when you can, and when you want it.

If your budget is tight, choose lower gravity beers -- there is an embarrassment of great choices out there now. Many brewers are making "session IPAs" that are only 4-5 abv. There is also a trend "brewing" for sour beers such as gose and lambic, which tend to be lighter in body and alcohol.

You can also do Russian Imperial Stouts and barleywines too, if you choose, but of course you need more room in your budget.

Prost!
  • Alledra42
    Options
    Good beer is one of the great pleasures in life, and life is too short to drink low quality beer. Make it fit when you can, and when you want it.

If your budget is tight, choose lower gravity beers -- there is an embarrassment of great choices out there now. Many brewers are making "session IPAs" that are only 4-5 abv. There is also a trend "brewing" for sour beers such as gose and lambic, which tend to be lighter in body and alcohol.

You can also do Russian Imperial Stouts and barleywines too, if you choose, but of course you need more room in your budget.

Prost!

Fantastic! Thanks for your help. I have been wanting to try out some of the new beers. Its very helpful to know which types are a little less tummy bulging than the others!
  • xMaryEllenx
    xMaryEllenx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I drink the PC 2.5 low carb beer. It is nice an light tasting and only 90 calories! We must allow for the finer things in life! :-)
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I like good beer too. I'm a homebrewer, I'm not an expert or anything, just like the whole process. I decided to stop making any new batches for awhile. One batch yields two cases! Lasts a long time, friends don't complain though, lol. I don't know how many calories are in any of the beers I make is why, and I really only used to have one or two on weekends, but still. As I get closer to goal I will start to introduce a beer here and there. I would never consider drinking a light beer, couldn't do it.:sad: I have gone out to dinner and fit in a lemon drop martini, or two. I planned ahead and researched a lower calorie drink. I know, it's a bit much, but I'm on such a roll here with the weight loss I don't mind. Just plan ahead, work out more, save up for a night out.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I have a beer EVERY DAY...! I eat less so I can drink ; / I need the relaxation!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I drink full on real beer. Some of mine is close to 300 calories a bottle. Just fit it into your calorie goal. In fact I think I'll have one right now. Cheers.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I just trade off by having a light dinner with a really awesome beer. The beer makes me full so I don't even miss the dinner calories.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I try to fit my food calories around my alcohol calories....but usually if my alcohol pushes me over a bit, I don't sweat it....I just throw another mile or two onto my morning run....
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I drink real beer too. Big beer. I make it fit. I'm not going to deal with drinking crappy beer because it's lower in calories. Why? Because I like flavor.

No issues here. Just polished off a bottle of Barrel Aged Sexual Chocolate. Good times.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    As much as I loved it, I had to cut out all alcohol completely. It was too easy to have too many and too often, so it went away. I don't really miss it and if I give up the beer, I get to have a dessert, and honestly, I'd much rather have the dessert. :)
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alone and I stop at 2 drinks.

Here's an interesting site:
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I really like beer too! I build it into my calorie count for that day. If I go over I go over. Its not all of the time so I really don't sweat it.

I love trying new beers. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Ah, hell, I love beer! Most of the beers I lurv are not exactly low in calories either. Screw it, life is too short. I drink pretty much every day - in moderation (well, not in moderation every day, but let's go with that story) - and it seems to work. Fit it in your calories and macros. Some of my current choices: Dogfish Head 90 Minute, Bell's Two Hearted, and Goose Island IPA.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    So I love beer. I should preface I am not an alcoholic. I do like to have a beer once in a while after a long day at work however I do not drink everyday. I am also a big time social drinker. With Halloween just around the corner I am slightly concerned about my love of the hops completely throwing me off track. What have been your experiences so far? Have you just completely cut out the booze? Limited yourself to a once a month treat? Started only drinking those low cal girly vodkas (the thought of that one makes me a little nauseous)? Let me know! :drinker:

I am not a huge drinker and I love beer too. I would just budget one or two beers into my calories for that particular day. Those girly vodkas aren't for me. I could probably get by with some Hangar 1 mixed with some sparkling water if I didn't have enough calories in my budget to fit in an Anchor Steam or an IPA.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    There's a really helpful beer thread that I believe is in the Food/Nutrition section. I'll see if I can find it and bump it.

I'm a wannabe beer nerd, but emphatically NOT a hophead. Everybody else can have their quintuple IPAs, I'll take a witbier.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I get drunk every weekend and have been losing weight. I just eat a little less during the day and burn 500-800 calories at the gym if I plan on drinking. Lately I've been working out so much that I can afford a few drinks during the week too. I can't give up my wine :)
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have to earn my beer with cardio. If I ride my bike long enough and burn enough calories, I get a beer. If I don't, I don't.

I earn a beer almost every day, but I cash in on that earning probably 3 times a week.
  • Alledra42
    Options
    I have to earn my beer with cardio. If I ride my bike long enough and burn enough calories, I get a beer. If I don't, I don't.

I earn a beer almost every day, but I cash in on that earning probably 3 times a week.

That's a pretty awesome idea! I am a rewards kinda girl so I think that might be a good system for me. (although I am sure they will be times when I say screw it Im getting drunk) After all I am only human I suppose. Thanks for all the feedback though guys!!