low calorie substitute for chocolate

Replies

• Dark chocolate (over 70%), cacao, cacao nibs (not the same as cocoa - cacao is raw, with tons of minerals, and pretty tasty too)
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Little bars! I have Freddo's and my friend buys the green & blacks little bars you get 12 in a pack I think, as you get to eat a whole bar you don't feel like you are restricting yourselve to one square. Also I started to eat chocolate slowly so it lasted longer and I enjoyed it more. :)
  • fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    I buy the bags of individually wrapped dark chocolate squares - one square is only 50 calories & it is rich and delicious.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Just stop liking it.

so I should just stop breathing too I guess.

Damyum- going to put a crimp in my weekend plans.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    There IS no substitute for chocolate. Just doesn't work! I'd rather just eat a smaller portion of the good stuff.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Chocolate covered nuts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    There IS no substitute for chocolate. Just doesn't work! I'd rather just eat a smaller portion of the good stuff.

truth!
  • kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    My vote is not to give up chocolate just watch portions. But I do love Swiss Miss chocolate bars. There's no substitution, they're are not sugar free. But they do satisfy my chocolate and dessert craving better than most other 100 cal options.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    If he can switch to dark chocolate, it has relatively few calories per serving and is so rich and chocolatey he may be satisfied with less. (At least it works for me.) 1 square of Green and Black is under 30 calories. Of course, you have to hide the rest of the bar. :smile:

This^

Ghiradelli squares are individually wrapped. Dark chocolate is much more satisfying.

Other substitutes (nothing compares to the real thing):

Fudgescicles, Yogi Mayan cocoa spice tea, sugar free pudding, Dannon Light & Fit Chocolate Raspberry Greek, hot chocolate.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Smaller portions. The subs gets close, but they're never quite the same.

^This! I keep a bag of Hershey's Nuggets Dark Chocolate with Almonds in my fridge and will throw one or two in my lunch bag that I take to work with me each day. They're rich and delicious and satisfy my chocolate craving without derailing my calorie deficit.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Smaller portions or just don't keep it in the house.

There is no substitute for chocolate. Period. Saying something like that is blasphemy and should be against the law. :angry:
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Add 1 tbsp of mini chocolate chips to anything: yogurt, sugar free pudding, sliced banana, on top of a piece of toast with some PB.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    So I convinced the husband to try losing a few pounds as I get back into the habit but he is a chocolate junkie. I'm looking for any tips on healthy ways to satisfy his chocolate cravings, at least for the first week. :)

Chocolate Almond Milk
    Sugar Free chocolates
    Skinny Cow treats

Those dark chocolate dusted almonds are very tasty, though not low calorie. But, if you are going to eat nuts anyway, why not get the chocolate dusted ones? The calories are not much more than regular roasted almonds.
  • garyjager
    garyjager Posts: 3 Member
    I'm a fan of carob, myself. If it absolutely must be chocolate, I go for a square of dark chocolate (70-80%) and let it melt on my tongue.
  • mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    I personally am struggling with this, I tend to overindulge if I get my hands on anything sugary. Sometimes I think it's like alcoholics have just one drink. Maybe not that extreme but you get the point. I am training myself to just have a little now and then as it's meant to be "A Treat"
    However there was a brownie recipe in the forum for a 37 calorie brownie, I wrote it down and have made two batches, they are delicious and one square is very satisfying. They are made with greek yogurt with almost gives them a cheesecake 'heavy' texture which I LOVE!! Not sure if that recipe is still floating around but there are options

if he can learn moderation, I think that cutting out completely doesn't make sense because who wants to live life everyday not enjoying their foods??
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    I find that there is no real substitute for chocolate so I just try to eat it less often and in smaller portions when I do. I eat dark chocolate which has more flavor and if you don't eat it often then it always seems to taste even better. Savor it so you can eat less I guess.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    My vote is not to give up chocolate just watch portions. But I do love Swiss Miss chocolate bars. There's no substitution, they're are not sugar free. But they do satisfy my chocolate and dessert craving better than most other 100 cal options.

I love those darn things. Found them at Sam's Club at one point and fell in love. LOL
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Chocolate! smaller portion, fit into the allotment There is NO substitution!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    I am with the less chocolate gang too as the real stuff is so much nicer and makes those extra calories worth having to burn off!. but when I get cravings and I am at home things like chocolateflavoured craft Philadelphia cheese on toast helps. that way I am getting the needed food but it is chocolate flavour and the cals dont add up too quick.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    You could always try...

2e0710b4bcdc8b0383be6c9628e00b03.jpg

1993_a38f.png