Is there any way to avoid loose skin after weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Loose skin is dependent on the person. Genetics, age, and rate of loss all play into loose skin/minimal loose skin.

Back in the day, I lost 97 pounds in a year. I was 16-17 at the time. I had some, but very little, loose skin in the areas where I carried most of my weight (stomach and upper arms). Now, several years later, my skin has firmed up. I have noticed a good deal of difference since I started lifting weights (a little over a year ago).
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I have at least 100 pounds that I would like to lose, but sometimes I get really scared after I watch these weight loss shows on TV, all these people who were like 350+ lbs have to have skin surgery after they lose the weight. Has any one lost around 100 lbs and had difficulty with loose skin? Are there any tips/tricks to avoid having loose skin without having to get surgery? What's the likelihood that losing 100 lbs would result in loose skin? Feeling paranoid....

I've seen those shows on TLC and they kinda freak me out. If you're talking about that - those people had the weight loss surgery (gastric bypass) so their weight loss is at a different rate then someone like yourself who's losing the stadard few pounds a week. Thus, giving your skin more time to adjust.

I think everyone is different. You're still quite young so it's very possible that you won't have too much loose skin. I agree with the posters who are mentioning weight training and lifting.

PS - I'm noticing loose skin in my armpit area and I hate it !