chemical substances in food not addictive

Options
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140909093617.htm

People can become addicted to eating for its own sake but not to consuming specific foods such as those high in sugar or fat, research suggests. An international team of scientists has found no strong evidence for people being addicted to the chemical substances in certain foods.

Replies

• northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Crap. There goes another excuse. I'm running out. :grumble:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's not addictive like things that put you into withdrawal when you stop taking them.

But we all require food. We have to have it. People will, as Scarlett so aptly put it, "lie, steal, cheat or kill" to obtain it.

We are all addicted to food.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Here's the link to the entire article, which is actually free!!

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763414002140
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    It's not addictive like things that put you into withdrawal when you stop taking them.

But we all require food. We have to have it. People will, as Scarlett so aptly put it, "lie, steal, cheat or kill" to obtain it.

I admit I'm addicted to H2o and o2 as well.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

The study clearly discriminates between a behavioral addiction and a substance addiction. I especially enjoyed the following paragraph.
    The rise in prevalence rates of obesity in many countries cannot be attributed to genetic factors alone; instead, environmental changes, which interact with our biological make-up, appear to underlie the obesity pandemic. A large proportion of different populations overeat to an extent that threatens physical and mental well-being, and both somatic and psychiatric disorders are associated with obesity. “Food addiction” offers a superficially attractive explanation, and potentially an excuse, for this unhealthy behavior at an individual level. The modern “obesogenic” environment is characterized by the ubiquitous availability of palatable, energy-dense and inexpensive foods, reflecting ongoing efforts of the globalized food industry to increase production and boost sales. As such, the food and beverage industry is perceived as having a powerful role in promoting poor nutrition policies (Davis, 2013). “Food addiction” places blame on the food industry for the production of “addictive foods” and by so doing indicates that obesity prevention strategies should seek to curtail the influence of this industry on eating behavior.

Johannes Hebebrand, Özgür Albayrak, Roger Adan, Jochen Antel, Carlos Dieguez, Johannes de Jong, Gareth Leng, John Menzies, Julian G. Mercer, Michelle Murphy, Geoffrey van der Plasse, Suzanne L. ****son. “Eating addiction”, rather than “food addiction”, better captures addictive-like eating behavior. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 2014; DOI: 10.1016/j.neubiorev.2014.08.016
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Good morning bump.
  • northbanu
    Options
    If chemicals added to food aren't addicting, then from now on, that’s where I'm putting my heroin.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If chemicals added to food aren't addicting, then from now on, that’s where I'm putting my heroin.
    You're going to start getting ads for re (exclude these words) hab.

I had to space it out so I don't get them, lol.

Years ago, I spent some time googling that stuff Walter White made and how to make it at home and I'm still getting emails. :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    So, this just leaves the toxins now, right?
  • northbanu
    Options
    You're going to start getting ads for re (exclude these words) hab.

I had to space it out so I don't get them, lol.

Years ago, I spent some time googling that stuff Walter White made and how to make it at home and I'm still getting emails. :)

Thats would be a great change from all the "Horny MILFS in your area want to cheat on their husband", and "This weird trick will add inches AND Girth. Click here now".
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    DHMO is certainly addictive. Once you've started consuming it, it's almost impossible to stop. It's also potentially deadly.

http://www.dhmo.org/
  • northbanu
    Options
    DHMO is certainly addictive. Once you've started consuming it, it's almost impossible to stop. It's also potentially deadly.

http://www.dhmo.org/

Oh stop it.