How many confirmations is enough for you?

Options
RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
Trying to log food as accurately as possible is sometimes tedious when trying to find the food item that is (or closest to) what you're looking for in the food database. So my question is, how many confirmations, in your opinion, is enough to legitimize a food selection in the database?

3 confirmations? 7? 14? Higher?

I'm curious.

Replies

• shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Don't know, I put in something this morning which I KNOW for a fact has 2g of carbs, but the entry said 13g of carbs (correct brand and serving size) and over 20 people confirmed it but it was WRONG.

So ... check the package anyway, just to make sure.
  • I would guess that many people who confirm entries don't check the numbers with the product label. They just confirm because x number of other people did.

As for me, 0 confirmation entries are fine. I leave enough wiggle room usually that I don't need to be too precise.
  • Lumpy52403
    Lumpy52403 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I was confirmed only once; it was enough for me. I was only baptized once, too. (Hope you will pardon a Catholic joke late at night.)
  • shawmutt
    shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I get so frustrated with this sometimes. The worst is when I take the time to scan a bar code and it's still wrong. In cases of conflicting numbers, my "final answer" comes from the USDA site. http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

And I do try to correct the wrong entries when I can.
  • Anxieux
    Anxieux Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I use the barcode to scan it, usually comes up right.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    One. The label. Or the restaurant's website.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I always compare with the label if I'm not sure. Will happily use a 0 confirmation entry if it's correct and will add a confirmation if/when I remember to do so.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Man, I keep forgetting about the barcode thing on the phone. I should use that more often. Also, you know, I didn't even think about that, that a large number of confirmations wouldn't necessarily mean it was right if you didn't check the facts yourself.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Man, I keep forgetting about the barcode thing on the phone. I should use that more often. Also, you know, I didn't even think about that, that a large number of confirmations wouldn't necessarily mean it was right if you didn't check the facts yourself.

it's pretty awesome- you still have to double check- because sometimes it's wrong- but it does make life SO much easier- I scan all the time with mine LOL.

I'm not that picky honestly- as long as it's close enough- I'm getting on calorie lock down though since my weight loss has slowed significantly- so it's become more important to be more accurate with my tracking- but usually if it's close enough I'm happy.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I don't take any notice of the confirmations. If I'm searching like that it means it's an item I've not used before so I've never checked so I would rather double check. So I will check either the packet or USDA if its fresh veggies/fruit.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I always compare with the label if I'm not sure. Will happily use a 0 confirmation entry if it's correct and will add a confirmation if/when I remember to do so.

This. The first time I eat a particular food or use an ingredient in a recipe, I check it against the label (or USDA if it's produce or a cut of meat). Then, whenever I eat/use it again, I go back to my "Recent Foods" and select it from there because I know I've already verified its accuracy.

I could care less about confirmations. I've found a lot of people seem to click on confirmation simply because they used it themselves, not because they actually checked that the nutritional information matched up.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only confirmation that is enough for me is mine. If it's some random restaurant food and I have no label, I just look at several entries and pick the average one... doesn't matter how many confirmations it has.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I look at the details in the food item compared with package info. Once in my food database I stick to that particular brand/ item. Confirmations? Not so much.