Too Few Calories? 600-800?

Options

Replies

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Actually, this seems like a diet I could stick to, or not veer far from for ever, I'm the kind of person who eats the same thing everyday anyways. Before Saturday it was burritos and fried chicken sandwiches and now it's canned tuna. I guess I just need to be eating a LOT of canned tuna to keep my calories up.

You do know that much canned tuna is really not good for you right? Ever heard of mercury??

Also, fast weight loss usually doesn't make you look good, unless you consider sickly to be a good look. You'll lose a lot of muscle with the fat if you go about this the wrong way. Slow and steady, reasonable intake and macros, and some strength training is a better way to achieve your goals.

The stickies in this forum have a lot of good information. Try http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Actually, this seems like a diet I could stick to, or not veer far from for ever, I'm the kind of person who eats the same thing everyday anyways. Before Saturday it was burritos and fried chicken sandwiches and now it's canned tuna. I guess I just need to be eating a LOT of canned tuna to keep my calories up.

You do know that much canned tuna is really not good for you right? Ever heard of mercury??

I was thinking about this myself. The fact that they say you should limit it to maximum a couple times a week. Really, tinned anything is going to be a poor choice if it's all you eat, just due to the canning process.
  • Elliot315
    Elliot315 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello. Thank you for your concern, but you've gotten it all wrong. I have been eating burritos, tacos, big burgers like no other my whole life until Saturday, when I out of the blue decided to loose weight and not be chubby for once. I've actually been eating myself full, so that I'm completely satisfied and don't feel any side effects of starvation. Actually, before I posted this thread, I was under the impression that I was only slightly under my caloric count and eating fairly well. I definitely don't have an eating discarder, but your concern is actually very moving. By the way, I had a similar (but worse) app from Saturday until yesterday and had been eating 600-900. Yesterday and today, I just happen to not feel very hungry. Thank you
  • Elliot315
    Options
    Oh. I was completely unaware. Thanks for the advice. I'll need to change it up a bit, I guess.
  • Elliot315
    Options
    I'm actually really relieved that I don't have to be so strict with my diet. Thank you for the advice. I'll be eating a burrito tomorrow as a reward for starving myself all week. :) Thanks
  • Elliot315
    Options
    For real though. lol I was expecting to have like two or three responses, but now people are concerned with eating discarders and all sorts of stuff. You should see my private messages.
  • desidieter
    Options
    Hello. Thank you for your concern, but you've gotten it all wrong. I have been eating burritos, tacos, big burgers like no other my whole life until Saturday, when I out of the blue decided to loose weight and not be chubby for once. I've actually been eating myself full, so that I'm completely satisfied and don't feel any side effects of starvation. Actually, before I posted this thread, I was under the impression that I was only slightly under my caloric count and eating fairly well. I definitely don't have an eating discarder, but your concern is actually very moving. By the way, I had a similar (but worse) app from Saturday until yesterday and had been eating 600-900. Yesterday and today, I just happen to not feel very hungry. Thank you

Not sure who this post was aimed at, but as others have already said, don't always depend on your hunger cues to determine whether or not your body has had enough nutrition. I'll be honest. There are days when I'm fully satisfied (hunger wise) with 1000-1300 calories. But I try to eat more than that (around 1600 per day) because I know that's what my body needs, even if my stomach is telling me otherwise. If you're totally comfortable at 900 calories, it's probably because your body has grown used to eating just that much over a prolonged period. But scientifically speaking, as far as your stats go, 900 is not enough for your body to function properly.
  • recensaetas
    recensaetas Posts: 2 Member
    Options

?? I find that hard to believe, going from burritos and fried chicken to canned tuna and being satisfied...

If you're going to consistently be eating anything, eat fresh - the fewer preservaties that you eat (like those found in canned food), the easier of a time you'll have loosing weight. The things that you put into your body, including any additives etc., also get stored in your fat. Preservaties can keep food "fresh" in a tin can, just imagine what they can do to any fat in your system.
  • Elliot315
    Options
    Thank all of you for your help tonight. Like I said, I don't know much about dieting or nutrition, but I'll read up on it some more. You've given me a lot of information to digest and sort through, but I think the general consensus is that I should eat more calories in a day even if I'm not hungry. Once again, thank you all.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, that's scary. I will definitely be increasing my calories then. Apparently, that increase should be from fat and I should take my carbs down even further. Thank you very much.

Carbs are irrelevant. It's the calorie deficit and the maintenance of your current lean body mass that is important.

If you want to have a killer body, you are best off trying your hardest to lose just the fat, very stealthily, so you don't lose health, glycogen in muscles, muscles, bone density, water.

It's the type of weight you lose that makes the difference. Low carb diets just suck all the water and glycogen out if your muscles, giving you an immediate gratification on the scale loss and a real bad mood, bad performance in the gym, and cravings for your desired foods.

A person can burn 31 calories per pound of body fat per day. I carry 20lb of fat, so I have to be very careful. The more overfat you are the more you can cut calories out if your daily needs. I lost 5lb fat over 6-7 months. I cut about 100 calories under my daily needs, (1750 without exercise), so 1650 PLUS eating back the calorie burn of whatever exercise I did. So some days I'd eat 2300 and STILL lose fat (though tiny amounts which added up over months, maybe a 1/5th of a pound a week).

Obviously the scale would swing around like a maniac, as there are so many more things to take into account than body fat. But it's the accurate weighing and working out your burns, constant logging and faith in the numbers that do it.

Eat your carbs, first eat 0.8g protein per pound of body weight, then build the carbs and fat around that. Funnily enough you end up with a homely normal portioned dinner but 1970s sized before we all went cray cray about food portions.
  • desidieter
    Options
    Thank all of you for your help tonight. Like I said, I don't know much about dieting or nutrition, but I'll read up on it some more. You've given me a lot of information to digest and sort through, but I think the general consensus is that I should eat more calories in a day even if I'm not hungry. Once again, thank you all.

It's good that you're open to suggestions and feedback from people. I think a lot of the aggressiveness/snippiness that you experienced in your thread is due to the fact that many people start these sorts of threads about how they're practically starving themselves and then expect some sort of affirmation from other members. Some of them are trolls and others are people who are seriously struggling with eating disorders (but don't want to admit it), but these types of topics come up on a very regular basis around here, and I think a lot of members are tired of offering the same advice over and over, especially when that advice isn't received well.

Anyway, based on your responses, you don't strike me as that type of person. You seem honest enough to admit that you don't know much about dieting and nutrition and are therefore seeking actual advice -- not some pat on the back for your current uninformed behavior/decisions. Even if your present/recent choices haven't been the best, at least you're willing to consider the information and advice that's been presented to you. And if you take the helpful advice that you've been given here, I'm sure you'll succeed. Believe it or not, MFP can be a really positive place; it's filled with lots of awesome people who offer tons of great advice and accountability. Choose your friends wisely (as in...don't spend your time listening to people who clearly have EDs or are terribly uninformed about the healthy and safe way to lose weight), and you'll succeed here.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to do this so quickly that you end up eating into lean body mass, lose that nice perky muscle tone, suck calcium from bones, burn into your vital organs??

Coz you want to get back to normal eating again? You're setting yourself up for a lifetime of yoyoing. Your brain function and hormones will go haywire.

Good luck. Please rethink your strategy, as you are young and have a lifetime ahead of you. You don't want to have to end up barely living because of bad health and an eating disorder. There are better ways. Just ask me anything if you want!
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hi Elliot, congratulations on taking steps towards a healthy new you!

Not meaning to be rude, but yeah, you can tell you don't know much about this whole losing weight lark!! This post is very helpful for getting started: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

There are a few posts pinned at the top of the "getting started" forum category which may also be helpful to you.

Good luck!!
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I got it. I will definitely be eating more calories. I'm actually eating the rest of my tofu now, to avoid looking like a Christian Bale. I'm pretty convinced with all these horror stories. Your scare tactics have worked. Thank you.

Haha....Almost feels like you are being attacked, eh? Honestly, they are just trying to help and I think us older people have been down your road(most of us anyway) and we ended up gaining more weight after getting where we wanted and having a harder time losing it the next time.
    My biggest advise would be to not cut out the foods you love as you will never make this a life way. Just ease up on your foods that you over indulge on and the weight will come off and maybe slower as well as you will not miss anything.
    Exercise is a great help to.

FYI...You don't look very big in your picture.

Best of luck Hun :smile:
  • irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi there - a lot of people jumped on the band wagon here. I would just say this:
    Focus on health and sustainability. What happens when you lose the weight? What then? You can eat plenty of healthy, good food in my opinion, fruits, vegetables and get your protein, and mix it with exercise and you will get to a good place.

If it doesn't feel like deprivation to you I guess that's one thing, but I tend to feel that if you are looking to achieve a goal by depriving yourself of food altogether - at least with me it usually ends up in over-indulgence.

If you can get used to eating healthy food when you are hungry, protein and fiber, not letting yourself get too starving and combine that with exercise, then the occasional burrito is no big deal.

I am not saying it's simple - but I would say you should take care of you. At 42 I have more of a need to do that... and personally I know I could not go too many days on 600-800 calories a day.

Good luck to you
  • desidieter
    Options
    I only eat between 600 and 1000 calories depending if I work out or not. I feel the amount of calories you can cut out depends on how you feel, how your own body work (cause every body is different), and the type of work that you do. Even before MFP I wasnt a very big eater. I was however, a very big drinker. I tried eating 1200 calories and such and I lost 5 pounds the first month. I am sorry other people might be happy with that but I most certainly wasnt not. I was putting in the effort and I wanted to see more results. I talked to my doctor and I cut my calories down to 800-1000 and worked out every single day. On days I decide to not work out I eat between 600 and 800 calories and it is most definitely working for me! I tend to just eat when I am hungry and I eat healthy foods. Snacking will be your best friend. 5 little 200 calorie meals is perfect! I started doing this on the 13th of August it is now the 12th of September and I have lost 15 pounds. this is what works for me and this is what I will continue doing. Hate it or love it. :)

The issue is not about hating vs. loving. It's about healthy, safe practices that lead to long term success. What you're doing is clearly giving you the weight loss results you want for now (sounds like you're looking for rapid results)...but have you stopped and considered the long term effects that this eating plan will have on you?

I agree with you that every person is different, but there is also such a thing as research and education, which too many dieters fail to do before making the decision to lose weight. And that lack of knowledge and understanding can be severely problematic -- if not now, then later on for sure. Don't set yourself up for failure in the long run. It's not worth the immediate 'victories' that you're seeing on your scale now.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options

?? I find that hard to believe, going from burritos and fried chicken to canned tuna and being satisfied...

If you're going to consistently be eating anything, eat fresh - the fewer preservaties that you eat (like those found in canned food), the easier of a time you'll have loosing weight. The things that you put into your body, including any additives etc., also get stored in your fat. Preservaties can keep food "fresh" in a tin can, just imagine what they can do to any fat in your system.

Not commenting on the fullness from burritos to tinned tuna - that is going to be an individual thing.

And, yes fresh food is great!

But rest of this post is nonsense - preservatives in canned food are not going to make it harder to lose weight and preservatives are not going to do anything in particular to fat in your body.

Not all canned foods even contain preservatives.
    Some do I am sure - but out of curiosity I checked out 2 tins in my pantry

Tin 1 labelled Pineapple thins.
    Ingredients: pineapple, pineapple juice, pear juice.

Tin 2: labelled Corn kernels
    Ingredients: sweet corn, water, sugar, salt
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I think OP might be feeling "full" because with the limited food choices, to eat more just isn't that appealing, which often happens with restricted diets. Also, like others, I would add that diet advice given by younger, smaller (and potentially ED) women doesn't apply to a male. As an older, smaller woman, I can assure you that you can maintain a healthy weight by eating a varied diet. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, going from fatty burgers and burritos to canned beans, tuna, and spinach. I actually net about 1200 a day (eating back exercise calories) but eat a wide variety of foods. OP could probably eat 500 more than that and still lose; my diary's open if you want to take a look. Yesterday, I had a Panera flatbread as well as homemade fish tacos for dinner.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advise. Do you mean it's not possible to loose two pounds per week?

No, it's possible, I've lost 2 pounds already this week since monday. I eat between 650-900 calories.

and you're doing it wrong too.

No, I think I eat enough calories for my body. And I'm pretty healthy, I run a lot.
    I don't care what you think.
    Science will tell you that you're wrong.

It isn't opinion.. it isn't "What Trog thinks" either.

You're doing it wrong.

..but that's okay. Keep eating that little and we'll see you on the forums again asking why your period stopped or maybe why your hair is starting to fall out.

You do realize that your body needs calories just to exist right? I mean, like.. you know... for your heart to beat, or brain to function? Maybe hepatic functions?

Wait til you realize that your hormones are screwed up.

I'm trying to save you grief later... please understand that.

I don't really care if it comes across as harsh, you need to really... REALLY understand how WRONG you are.

Yes, I do realize that my body needs calories to exist which is why I eat 900 sometimes, my body really doesn't need more than that.

You're 5'8
    You're 18
    You weigh 108 lbs
    You're eating 900 calories a day
    You're borderline underweight
    Your previous posts have been deleted because of these facts.

Please seek help.

If you aren't already elbow-damn-deep in an ED, you're well on your way. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when you're saying you know what your body needs.

My previous posts have been deleted?

I would just like to thank Trog for trying to explain to this young woman where she's going wrong
    and I second all the others who recommend a doctor's care here. Please listen to them, as it'll save you grief later. :smile:
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm an old woman doing moderate-low carb with the input of my internist and endocrinologist, and even I eat more than you do.

If you are even moderately active, even 1200 is not high for a young man. EAT MORE!